Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • When was the last time you were stitched up or the subject of a hatchet job?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I am class rep for my part of the year group. Earlier this year I was asked to feedback a lot of negative comments about a shambles of an exam that we had to sit. This negative feedback wasnt taken well, and the recipient has thrown accusations of unprofessionalism in my direction which led to me getting pulled into uni earlier this week for an attempted bollocking by the head of the course. Dont think this attempted bollocking went as planned, as I wasnt prepared to accept accusations of unprofeesional behaviour. Turns out the person who i complained to has been feeding the head of the course a lot of bullshit….

What hatchet jobs have you been subjected to and what’s the best way to deal with it?

donsimon
    Free Member

I got trolled once. 🙁

project
    Free Member

When you leave school you don leave all the childeren behind in the playground, (not you zulu) but the one who made the bullets.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

project – i like that saying a lot.

Garry_Lager

Unprofessional students? That’s a new one – what’s a professional student look like?

Student feedback is king, we beg them to fill out the questionaires here. The times university ranking of the other week was heavily based on the national student survey (with predictable results), causing deans nationwide to collectively shit one. Makes no sense to ignore student’s concerns on a course.

tbf to the students, I’m surprised how ‘professional’ their feedback tends to be. It’s pretty reasonable and well-argued, even for my courses.

DT78
    Free Member

Is that it? I,ve been subject to some really well orchestrated ambushes…

tazzymtb

I have actually had someone attack me with an axe if that’s any consolation

user-removed
    Free Member

Attacked by a guy with an axe here too – hold up in an offy…

Taff
    Free Member

Three people in my practice designed an estate of about 200 houses. I was told I may have too look after it on site when they had done all the drawing work. That would have been fine but they hadn’t down half the work, what they had done was wrong and to cop it off the stairs didn’t work in the houses unless the tenants were oomph loompas! So cross as I get all the grief from the contractor which then comes back to my MD who was also cross that the job wasn’t making money as so much time was being spent on it! Livid!!

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

tbf to the students, I’m surprised how ‘professional’ their feedback tends to be. It’s pretty reasonable and well-argued, even for my courses.

That is because many fear the truth will get them bad grades. My partner is a 3rd year art student and she didn’t know that much of the surrealist movement came from the influence of the Marquis de Sade, or even who he was. This is because they havent taught it, how the **** can you do a course about **** expresion with out the ultimate example of free expression. One student, who’s work is shit but is friendly (i.e shagging) her tutor(i know she’s over 18 but its still wrong),gets amazing grades.I thought stuff like that didn’t happen any more but it does.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Worked in a bar when I was a student. Busy-ish night and working on my own, so starting to be a wee queue building up at the bar.

Some guy thought I’d missed him when he was “next” (he was probably right, but that’s not the point) and had a right go at me despite my best efforts to apologise. Turns out he knew the bar owner and promptly told him he’d seen me stealing from the till!

Fortunately, the manageress had known me for years and backed me up.

br
    Free Member

Last time I was a perm…

Got the last laugh, big enough pay-off for 18 months riding and not working 🙂

project
    Free Member

I worked for a charity,the manager used to go to the cash and carry to buy food, strangely when i unloaded the van, only half of it went tinto the charity, the rest went home with the manager, the receipts strangely stayed at the charity, we also had a break in, and one of the directors told me to write down what tools we had stolen/wanted, and that i should claim off the insurance for the charity for them, to save our budget, when i refused, as it was fraud,little things started to mount up, for the next few weeks resulting in me geting the sack, one reason stated i was anti social.

Garry_Lager

That is because many fear the truth will get them bad grades. My partner is a 3rd year art student and she didn’t know that much of the surrealist movement came from the influence of the Marquis de Sade, or even who he was. This is because they havent taught it, how the **** can you do a course about **** expresion with out the ultimate example of free expression. One student, who’s work is shit but is friendly (i.e shagging) her tutor(i know she’s over 18 but its still wrong),gets amazing grades.I thought stuff like that didn’t happen any more but it does.

Feedback is generally anonymous, bro. The OP is talking about being a class rep, which is obv not anonymous feedback. But the vast amount of data for the NSS is made up of anonymous comments collected after courses (think they do it online now ).

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Feedback is generally anonymous, bro. The OP is talking about being a class rep, which is obv not anonymous feedback. But the vast amount of data for the NSS is made up of anonymous comments collected after courses (think they do it online now ).

I filled in a few surveys of course quality in uni they all asked for my name. the on-line one has a warning telling you not to use abusive language. she is also she is the student rep.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Accuse them of rape. If that doesn’t work, gay rape. Say hello to your first class honours degree, Dr Zulu

globalti
    Free Member

We were about to employ a new bloke in our department, who had once left the company and wanted to come back in a different job. The boss told me not to mention it to anybody but since several people knew the recruit socially, within a few days it was all round the office. Assuming it was public knowledge I confirmed the rumour to one of the secretaries. The boss’s secretary overheard the girl talking about it and went straight to the boss and stitched me up. She always disliked me so it was a great opportunity for her. I got a right roasting for it.

The irony was that in the end he actually turned the job down anyway, which really pissed my boss off.

rickmeister

Transferred to a new line manager a few years ago. This person was a known bully and manipulator of the truth for his own gain.He crashed his marriage because of this, as well as having several off line relationships. Based on this I requested a transfer to someone else, which after some protracted discussions, happened.

The person asked for feedback on why I wanted to be transferred after it had all happened, so I talked them through my reasons as it was quite personal.

Then made redundant Christmas 2009, restarting as a contractor for that company in January. This continued for a year until I had delivered all my work for the clients I had looked after.

Two phone calls from this guy then informing me I was off a couple of projects. I asked about future work as he makes these decisions and got a sense that things were running out. I then asked if the reason this was happening was the line management fall out 3 years earlier. The reply, from the person who I asked to be transferred from who now makes staffing decisions and was sat in front of me was priceless

“It is certainly the case that if that hadn’t happened you would not have been made redundant”

And at the end of my last direct client piece of work a call telling me I was not working or to be considered for work with the company again.

The person is still there, still getting consistently dreadful feedback from clients (aggressive, judgemental, thuggish, intimidating, participants afraid of getting in minibuses with him driving etc etc). His partner has just dumped him as he is shagging around again….

Not a bad role model as a senior manager in a personal development company near Brockhole, Windermere that regularly wins Best Company To Work For Awards in the Times….

Unfortunately it is a great place to work for, in spite of him… and I miss the job!

Junkyard
    Free Member

when you represent people and someone shouts at you I just simply point out that I am representing the views of others. Shooting the messenger is pointless as I still have to deliver the message.

CaptJon
    Free Member

SBZ – sounds like you need to go to the course header and/or head of department with the issues. Is there a staff-student committee? We have one which all the reps attend, and all the staff attend (well, everyone is supposed to, but some don’t bother turning up). It is really useful and there is no hiding place when the feedback from students is negative.

The NSS is done during a census period at the beginning of the second semester. It is anonymous and the data is useful to compare changes on a single course, but is next to useless for comparing courses at different institutions because there is no common denominator e.g. you ask cohort A what they thing of course X, then ask cohort B what they think of course Y… then you compare them. Getting a good score is about managing expectations.

My partner is a 3rd year art student and she didn’t know that much of the surrealist movement came from the influence of the Marquis de Sade, or even who he was. This is because they havent taught it

She is a third year and expects to be taught everything?

If a lecturer is shagging a student you need to tell someone about it, assuming there is some evidence.

andyl
    Free Member

Go to your union – that is what they are there for. From now on do not go to another meeting without them. Put in a formal complain against the staff member (not good for their career) and if all else fails – student protest 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What hatchet jobs have you been subjected to and what’s the best way to deal with it

1980. Paul Morley praised the demo tape, then slated the (almost identical) album in the NME.

Years passed. Didn’t give a toss.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

She is a third year and expects to be taught everything?

No but i would expect her to be taught about one of the most important writers of the last 300 years , especially because art is often censored, much like his books were. I was shocked when she said she didnt know how he was tbh, a bit like saying you have never heard of Shakespeare. So i down loaded 120 days of sodomy for her, and she was disturbed by it 🙂

If a lecturer is shagging a student you need to tell someone about it, assuming there is some evidence.

Evidence is being gathered.

racefaceec90

british gas 😡 (along with all energy companies putting their prices up by 18%)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Got done over in a job.

I was deputy manager of a home, new manager in post who felt threatened by me as I was more competent and I had been acting manager for 6 months ( I was actually quite happy to step back down)

Decided to stop my supernumerary time – IE I would have to carry a full care workload as well as my managerial one and transfers much of my mangerial work to others. I refuse the change of role.

Suspended on the spot, at home on garden leave for 7 months while me and the missus run rings around the HR dept. £7000 payoff. Teh manager was sacked within a year with no payoff. Oh how I laughed

johnners
    Free Member

1980. Paul Morley praised the demo tape, then slated the (almost identical) album in the NME.

Years passed. Didn’t give a toss.

Clearly.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

CaptJohn – it was the course header that I got pulled up in front of. There is a staff-student consultative committee, but it only meets once or twice per year. By the time the next one comes round it’ll be 8 months after the crap exam. Think I’ll just go for the ditching the class rep thing, tell them why i’m ditching it and refuse to give them any further feedback.

CaptJon
    Free Member

SBZ – That is poor. It’s also a shame you’re thinking of giving up the rep-ship, it sounds like you’re the right person for the job. Whatever happens make sure you raise it at the next SSCC so the reps in other years hear about it, and as many staff as possible know what happened.

jumpupanddown – play Devil’s advocate, it depends what the curriculum is. On all the modules i teach, but especially the third year ones, we miss out much more than we can include. I can’t speak for art, though, and have no idea how significant or not your case it.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

SBZ – I was a student liason mentor, I volunteered to collect surveys and present information to heads of department. A similar situation arose, not with myself but with the liaison mentor from another course. She stopped volunteering for the same reasons you have stated. She decided for her it was not worth the hassle.

Jump up and down – is your girlfriend studying fine art, art history, or both? The points you make about surrealism would really fall into art history and not contextual studies for fine art. Even then it’s only a small reference to how the movements ideology was founded. I would think her self directed reading around the subject (I understand she must be studying surrealism to some extent) would have covered this area as it is well documented in relevant text books.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘When was the last time you were stitched up or the subject of a hatchet job?’ is closed to new replies.