Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • When was the last time you sent a fax?
  • Squidlord
    Free Member

I just noticed the office print machine has a fax option. I can’t remember the last time I sent or received a fax. Does anyone still use them?

aa
    Free Member

Just sent one to a school about 2 minutes ago.

tomhoward

We occasionally get faxed orders, though normally they are in addition to emailed ones. A share registrar I used to work for still does for certain documents.

A lad here (20yr old) did ask what one was and how they worked though…

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s still an active one in our office. People create a work instruction on screen, print it, fax it, then phone someone to tell them there’s a fax waiting.

They don’t grasp that they could just send the work instruction from their computer to the printer next to the fax machine at the other end.

Don’t even mention that we’re roling out toughpads to the guess who collect those faxes.

Cougar

Needed sometimes for legal things where an actual signature is required.

(Because the authenticity of a written signature is far more reliable a PGP-signed email, naturally…)

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t know, but I did write a cheque last week – the first one in about 18 months.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

This morning as our email has decided it doesn’t want to send to certain addresses, why does it do that????

Cougar

It’ll usually tell you in the bounced message.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t know, but I did write a cheque last week – the first one in about 18 months.

Yeah, me neither. I wrote a cheque to my accountant last week and just had a look at my business chequebook. The last one I wrote was 07/2012.

ji
    Free Member

In the late 80s I once spent 2 entire days faxing some long contract documents to america. stand by machine and feed pages in one ata time, until one got screwedup, or the fax machine dropped the line and had to redial… work experience eh?

Squidlord
    Free Member

If it’s something with a signature, we usually scan it then email it. Follow up by post or courier if necessary

skellnonch
    Free Member

Ditched ours ages ago, all we got were junk faxes that just eat toner & paper. We use efax now still get lots of junk sh1te but you can just preview it & delete rather than printing it out

Onzadog
    Free Member

I remember the placement year I did. Old boy come through to the secretary with a sealed A4 manila envelope with a sizeable amount of paperwork. He then asks Julie to fax it to the American office.

She starts to open the envelope and he snaps,
    “don’t open it, can’t you see it’s marked confidential!”

Not sure how he thought a fax machine worked.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Had to recieve one from someone today who couldn’t figure out how to take a picture and email it.

more or less got rid of it though.

don’t think I’ve ever sent a fax though.

bencooper
    Free Member

Haven’t sent a fax since the Millennium I think. Still got a phone/fax machine on my desk, but the toner ran out a decade ago.

Still have a chequebook, it mostly gets used for paying the powdercoater.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have never had a chequebook.

I have sent a fax once.

aa
    Free Member

You know what? All this is inspiring me to listen to a cassette later tonight!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Funny watching back to the future where they actually go forward to the future (is it 2? The crap one). The hovercars, self adjusting clothing, home fusion from rubish, deyhdrated evening meals, video conferencing, and he gets fired by fax!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Often. Send copies of mental health forms to the review board. Copies of notes/assessments to other hospitals. We could scan and email but the internet is shat here. Often wonder when my telegram training update will be. Lucky I’m good at morse code and most people have CB’s for comms.

PMK2060

We deal with a large customer who still corresponds through fax only.

MrGrim

Nothing makes me more miserable than troubleshooting fax using VOIP. The sooner fax machines die the better 👿

DrP

Well, working in the NHS, you know, the cutting edge of medical advancements with millions of pounds to manage the nation’s healthcare with, and a vision of having the most up to date computer system this side of facebook, of course the last time I (i.e. my practice) sent a fax was about…ooh…. 15 minutes ago.

Shortly after the one before that….

Retrotastic

DrP

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Dr P Snap.

More secure than a lot of email. In the nhs we use them a lot for urgent confidential stuff. All sorts of issues about sending patient data , even encrypted by email where multiple users need to be able to access the destination email account.

Houns

As above. NHS, send secure faxes daily.

donks
    Free Member

A lot of wholesalers still use them as apparently it stops the emails dropping off the page and getting forgotten?

CountZero

A what?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

2006. To Japan. Turned out that their phone system was different to UK phone systems and meant email couldn’t get through. The problem has been fixed since so we can now email the most technologically advanced country in the world.

CountZero

Actually, I’m really trying to remember, and it’s got to be getting on for fifteen years ago, if not more.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

11.30am

AlasdairMc

Faxes are used in corporate banking because it’s an industry standard with guarantee of receipt. My old department would send and receive thousands per day.

MoreCashThanDash

Thousands of fax machines are still sold each year as they are required for legal transactions apparently, as emails are not legally valid.

Cropped up in an article on Radio 5 a couple of weeks ago

matt_outandabout

We still have a bunch of schools, and Argyll and Bute council that use them. 🙁

Bregante

Weekly,if not daily use.

Nipper99
    Free Member

daily in our solicitors practice.

kayak23

I work in a large College. we fax all our orders to our suppliers*

*I don’t, can’t work the thing…

tang
    Free Member

I still have to send the odd fax, but scan more these days. On an aside, we were looking at our train tickets today and I’m sure they’ve not changed design for years. Unlike the fares!

konabunny
    Free Member

Sent one a couple of weeks ago. Needed to get a document in hard copy to a guest at a hotel and didn’t want to have to email it to the business centre and then the recipient to get charged $1 a page for printing. It worked!

grahamh
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTr81BIT9KU[/video]

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘When was the last time you sent a fax?’ is closed to new replies.