Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • When to replace your helmet?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve got a Giro Zen. I won it in a race so no proof of purchase for crash replacement.

I turned a corner and the front wheel washed out, sending me over the bars.

I hit my head hard enough to have a headache for the rest of the day and to have red marks (not cuts) on my scalp for 72 hours

The helmet appears to be okay.

I know the bumpf says to replace them after a bang, but c’mon, some of us bang them every ride or so!

Would you replace it?

daver27
    Free Member

yep. you should always replace after a crash like that, quite often the damage appears minimal, but your head will have compacted the polystyrene meaning the next time you fall on that part it won’t be able to compress anymore, offering no protection.

for what they cost, it is simply not worth it.

jairaj

Read an interview with a guy form MET helmets. He said usually if you have a crash with an impact to your head and you see stars or are dazed for a few seconds or have to just take a breather before getting up then chances are the helmet needs to be replaced.

I once did a crash replacement on a Specialized helmet, they just wanted the old helmet back no other proof of purchase necessary.

jam-bo

When to replace your helmet?

I hit my head hard enough to have a headache for the rest of the day and to have red marks (not cuts) on my scalp for 72 hours

then ^^^

Trimix
    Free Member

I wouldnt replace it. I wait till mine cracks in half. Otherwise Id be buying a new helmet ever few months.

But its your choice, not our choice.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said, and after a few years as well if they’ve not had a big bang, I had an E2 which was a few (5?) years old, put some weight on it to see how it coped before binning it and it just crumbled. Whether it had become brittle or had accumulated lots of little knocks I’m not sure, but I doubt it would have offered much protection.

I replace mine after 3 years or after a significant (head first) crash. For £40-£50 a time it seems prudent.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I was worried you’d say that (all of you).

I’ve just replaced the front wheel and sun glasses (same incident) and my wife was very understanding…

I’d guess the Zen’s 5 years old too.

The first day I got SPDs (17 years ago?), I decided to wheelie up a hill on my paper round. I split my helmet up the middle (where the back of my head hit the tarmac) but had little more than a slight headache. I’m a big believer since then in what they can do!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I replace mine after 3 years or after a significant (head first) crash.

Rule of thumb is 3-5 years use, or after any significant impact. (Direction not important)

gogg
    Free Member

If you “have” to ask….

gonzy
    Free Member

i contacted Madison about this last year and they told me they recommend changing a helmet every 3 years according to Giro.
    if its been bashed then its structural integrity is compromised. just because the damage isnt visible doesnt mean its safe to use.
    OP – as your helmet is outside of the 3 year crash replacement warranty i suggest you just suck it up and buy a new one. keep the reciept and if its incident free for the next 3 years….then “crash” the helmet and send it in and get it replaced at next to cost price.

teasel
    Free Member

Damage from impacts notwithstanding, the facts are getting slightly distorted here. The stuff used is EPS foam. Have a read – ‘s worth it.

Also have a read of this article, in particular the bit halfway down the page about preventive care.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I was just about to post about this, I left me helmet when I moved house,like a numpty, and the new people threw it away.

I’ve been using an old one, provably 5 years old, that’s been sat in a garage. Is it likely to still be safe?

Wonder if the damp or cold could have damaged it.

gonzy
    Free Member

I’ve been using an old one, provably 5 years old, that’s been sat in a garage. Is it likely to still be safe?

Wonder if the damp or cold could have damaged it.

i would suggets you need to give it a good inspection to check the foam isnt degraded in nay way but even this can be difficult to ascertain. only you would know how damp/cold/mouldy the garage would have been during that time and how it potentially would have affected the helmet.
    i would err on the side of caution and get a new one and keep the old one as an emergency spare…why risk potentially serious head injury for the sake of £30 for a half decent new helmet?

kayak23

After a big crash definitely, or whenever one comes out that looks cooler and in better colours than your current one, whichever comes sooner…
    8)

ndthornton
    Free Member

Read an interview with a guy form MET helmets……… the helmet needs to be replaced.

Impartial advice then 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

From that site I linked to…

EPS does not degrade or deteriorate over time. It is resistant to mold and mildew because it provides no nutritive value for insects, bacteria, etc.

EPS’ closed cell structure gives it outstanding resistance to moisture absorption. This is critical because once an insulation absorbs moisture…

So it would seem that, unless you never clean the helmet and you have a particularly sweaty bonce, it should be fine to use. Ultimately, as others have said, it’s your own choice as to whether or not it’s deemed fit for purpose.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I don’t know how to say this without it turning into The Helmet Debate, but given theres so many question marks over how much safer you are with a helmet than without, is it really necessary to replace it when there is a possibility of unseen, unknown damage? i mean if its crashed and/or cracked, obviously its for the bin, but otherwise??

I just replace it when it looks crap.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Op, personally I’d replace it because as others have said, you may not be able to see the damage.

I really liked my Xen, but had a bad stack in the Peaks, landing in my head which split the helmet – hate to think what would have happened to my head without it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I call BS on helmet replacement.

“Ooooh there may be damage you can’t see” etc, what a pile of crock.

I’ve yet to read any believable justification for replacement when there’s no visible damage.

nuke

What cynic-al says.

I replace mine if I can see cracks. Gave my 8 year old daughter my old Giro helmet which had cracked at the side after a crash: she went to work on it with a hammer and still had problems so we finish it with a mattock…it still put up a good fight

core

Replace when it looks cracked/knackered, or after a big impact, even if you can’t see the damage.

iainc

I went over the bars last month and split my Xar in 2 just about. I have replaced it 🙂 crash replacement with Giro is good.

I hurt my face too though ….

TiRed

Five years. Date is now printed inside helmets. Or after a decent bang to the head. Or when it falls off the piano onto a stone floor – which is just about the SNELL design criteria.

Don’t spend too much if you crash a lot 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘When to replace your helmet?’ is closed to new replies.