Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • When to replace running shoes?
  • Cougar

Going out on a limb here, but I think mine might be past their best. What do you think?

In related news, I’m doing the Manchester 10k at the end of the month, just had my first warm-up run in, what, two years? Managed 4k and I’m more broken than my trainers.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Impressive.

I tend to replace mine every 500km but my stride as awful and so I wear them out fast..

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’d still run in those 😉

I’m terrible at replacing mine, I’m down to the white layer under the rubber grip on both my pairs!

If I replaced every 500 miles I’d new new shoes every 10 weeks!

MrPottatoHead

They’d have been relegated to my gardening trainers!

I replace mine everytime I need an excuse for not being very good at running. Think I’ve got about 7 pairs on the go currently 😯

Cougar

I tend to replace mine every 500km

At a finger-in-the-air guess, that’s about what they’ve covered.

I think it’s actually age that’s done for them. I’m not a prolific runner, they’re 13 years old now.

onlysteel
    Free Member

500 miles here, so every 3 or 4 months depending on how much biking I’m doing. Really feel the difference when I crack open a new pair. If the cost of replacing this often is an issue then do as I do, shop around for last seasons colour way, or preceding version. Usually save 40-50%, and buy a couple of pairs if the deal is good.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I buy new running shoes at about 250 mile, stick another 50-100 miles of long runs on them, whilst using my new shoes for shorter runs, then shove the old shoes in a charity shoe bin somewhere, usually keep them for my holidays, jam them in my case, use them for shortish runs, and leave them in a charity bin there, with a bottle of gin or such like filling the space left in my case. Result.

bikebouy
    Free Member

They’d go in the bin, bet they stink as well.

You can get cheap runners these days.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I keep mine until they run to the bin on their own. They just know when the time has come. 😥

Cougar

They’d go in the bin,

You reckon?

bet they stink as well.

I’ll have you know they smell of toasted pine nuts and gladioli.

They’re ok TBH, they tend to get hammered for a month then have the other 11 off.

You can get cheap runners these days.

Open to recommendations.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm, road runners ? If so I’m oot.. trail run only for me.

For hardback trails I use Saucony Peregrine’s which have worn really well considering the abuse I’ve give them..

£62 -£95 depending where you shop.

Cougar

It’s good that they’re putting something back into the community by employing blind people. (-:

It’ll be road running, yeah. Closest to offroad is the canal towpath I practice on. Like I said in the OP, it’s for doing the Manchester 10k which is entirely road-based. The idea of fell running does quite appeal though (a few friends do the Winkle Trout Run every year, though having seem photos I think a pair of beaters would be better than a nice expensive pair of shoes).

This will be the 10th time I’ve done it since 2004 and I do the same thing every year: promise myself I’ll train properly and keep it up afterwards, leave it until a few weeks beforehand and start running in a panic, then hang up my shoes for another 11 months afterwards. I’m useless, frankly.

nickc

What did you do to rip off that part of the sole!?

Cougar

About 4.5Km. Like I said earlier, I think age finally did for them.

Anyway, I’ve just got back from http://www.upandrunning.co.uk/clitheroe with these:

Brooks Vapor 3, seventy of your English pounds. I’d have preferred something a little more subtle, but they had like one pair that didn’t look like an explosion in a Dulux factory.

hammerite
    Free Member

Awful colours, so they should make you run quicker so no one sees you wearing them!

Cougar

I know right? They’re all like that though. They showed me some dayglow orange things, looked like 80s socks.

Reckon I’ll just pretend I’m being sponsored my Xbox.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘When to replace running shoes?’ is closed to new replies.