Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • When to end an iPhone auction on eBay
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

Hi,

What do you think will be the best time to end an auction on eBay for a 1 week old iPhone 4 16Gb? I also wondered whether the price will be affected by it being half term and perhaps more people being at home…

Any thoughts appreciated!

Jammy111
    Free Member

sunday evening, every time

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto. Sunday between 8 and 8:30pm for me and always get lots of activity.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I agree for bike bits, but I’ve not sold anything like an iPhone before – I wondered if more people in offices will be bidding during office hours?

leffeboy

Didn’t read here that people buy new iPhones on eBay, swap the innards with their broken iPhone and then send it back? Just saying like

clubber
    Free Member

Unlikely though possible – just note down the IMEI/serial number before posting so you can show that it’s yours.

This does apparently happen with things like Playstations/etc quite a lot though.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Thats good advice, thanks! So do we all think that Sunday evening is better than ending on Thursday this week (2day auction) at 11am?

leffeboy

The problem with noting the imei number is that they might say that you noted it afterwards. The problem with putting it in th ad is that they could then modify it to that number. My temptation would be to put half the number in the ad as I believe that you can’t just make up any old number and that may be sufficient to make the neerdowells bid elsewhere

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ditto. Sunday between 8 and 8:30pm for me and always get lots of activity.

No, no, and thrice NO! 🙂

I took this exact same advice when I sold mine…. AS DID EVERYONE ELSE SELLING ONE!

So there’s loads of them all ending at the same time, and the price drops.

I’d been watching identical phones for a couple of weeks and I’m certain I’d have got £10-20 more ending it midweek.

That said, I still got a good price. It was just down on the midweek prices.
    Always end auctions in the evening for the best price though, and if an item is pick-up only, end it on FRIDAY so it can be collected that weekend

clubber
    Free Member

The IMEI will be on the box (you’ve kept the box, right?) too and if you really needed to, the supplier should also have a note of it.

Swalsey
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    That said, I still got a good price. It was just down on the midweek prices.

What time mid-week would you end it please?

iain1775
    Free Member

I could tell you the best time to end auction to attract attention of all of us over here on the African continenet but first I would need you to send me your bank account details so we can make payment immediate upon time of auction
    thanking you for your interest in selling iphone to me

(make sure you state selling UK / Europe only, and block bidders with low feedback, personally I wouldnt bother selling a phone on ebay any more, way too much hassle)

Swalsey
    Free Member

Haha OK, my account number is 0123456789, sort 654321 😀

Thanks for the advice 🙂

geoffj

Dont most serious bidders use sniping software anyway? I can’t remember the last time I didn’t. The timing of the end of the auction isn’t that important.

clubber
    Free Member

Out of interest, have you looked at the envirofone type valuation? I’ve found that once you take into account ebay fees and hassle, they often are a better deal…

geoffj

Out of interest, have you looked at the envirofone type valuation? I’ve found that once you take into account ebay fees and hassle, they often are a better deal…

+1, I sold my old iPhone 3G on Mazuma mobile.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Those are pretty good deals to avoid the hassle, thanks. I’ve decided to list as 2 have just sold for over £400 – fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Antony

leffeboy

Amazing. I never new that sort of thing even existed. How do these recyclers make money out of this?

Edit: looks like there is a margin of around 75 quid then. But that isn’t much to cover the commission for eBay, the comparison site and all the rest.

Flaperon

Edit – already said above. D’oh.

geoffj

75 quid then. But that isn’t much to cover the commission for eBay, the comparison site and all the rest.

Indeed.

clubber
    Free Member

or maybe that’s not how they dispose of the phones they get…

Cougar

Same principle, but I always used http://mobilevaluer.com as it’s from a trusted source (Money Saving Expert).

jp-t853

For phones that have a business interest I find that Thuradsy afternoons are a good time to end the auction. I would say the Iphone falls into that category.

Ebay fees are a massive joke however if you sell an item for about £350 with paypal payment the fees will swallow at least £50 of that figure so it is worth bearing that in mind when looking at different selling options.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What time mid-week would you end it please?

Mid evening, any weekday is what I’d go for.

I checked them all. I was at least £40 up on the best of them

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘When to end an iPhone auction on eBay’ is closed to new replies.