Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • When the rioters get caught, what happens next,
  • project
    Free Member

An ex senior copper has said a few times, the prisons are full, the kids arent afraid, and are defiant, most of them are in poorly paid or no jobs, so they have no income to seize, if you take their council houses off them the governmnet still has to pay them Housing benefit,they have few useful skills of use to the rest of civilisation.

So what can we do with them, death is not an option.

Harry_the_Spider

Medical experiments?

Organ donation? Mt daughter could do with a new pancreas.

Liftman

Army, and pack them off to the middle east, two problems solved

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Landfill

ton

just give them all the birch.
    a little bit of suffering is good for the soul.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One of the things I am always keen on – restorative justice. Cleaning up the city. 40 hrs a week of unpaid labour for as long as seems reasonable. months perhaps.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

chain gangs – there’s a high speed railway that needs building…..after they tidy up first

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s a very good point, and one that nicely illustrates the problem with the intellectually feeble authoritarian concept of crime and punishment.

The best way to stop people committing crimes is to stop them wanting to commit crimes…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

An ex senior copper has said a few times, the prisons are full
    Not entirely true, we’ve got 4 spare cells on G wing alone, we would’ve had 5 but one’s been smashed & will be out of action for some time cos works don’t have a sink or toilet that will fit. (don’t even ask why)

maccruiskeen

There aren’t actually that many of them, enough that its a lot to deal with in one go but not so many that prison or any other punishment isn’t an option.

What have council houses got to do with anything?

As for the rioters that have been identified so far – primary school worker, graphic designer, student, squaddy.

Organ donation has already been suggested as a way for students to clear their debts and the squaddy almost definiately won’t see active service now.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The best way to stop people committing crimes is to stop them wanting to commit crimes…
    Lets hear it then.

mrmo
    Free Member

could juts go back to manual rock crushing, i am sure there are a few islands off the scottish coast that could be used as granite quarries.

give them the odd food drop and some tools and leave them to it.

ton

corporal punishment will make em want to stop commiting crimes.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ton, I love you. (not literally of course) 😳

ton

😆

mrmo
    Free Member

have to agree corporal punishment isn’t going to work, just need to find away of removing from society and getting something useful done.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

essel – when I worked in the jail my overwhelming impression was what a waste of everyone time. I was in Pentonville – there were many hundreds of young men in there doing absolutly eff all day after day. especially when incarcerating most of them will change nothing

It just seemed such a waste.

Your thoughts seeing as we are on a crime and punishment sort of day>

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Good point TJ

Hard labour would at least mean they were doing something instead of doing absolutly eff all day after day.

Personally, I’ve always been in favour of Prisons becoming domestic recycling sorting centres! Give ’em a chance to do something for the benefit of society and the environment.

Bin lorries in one end, recycling out the other 😀

markenduro
    Free Member

How about an amnesty for them?
    They’ll have to work for it though first, drop them off in the middle of the English Channel and if they make it back to shore they are free to go.

5thElefant
    Free Member

We need to outsource. I’m sure the Chinese would provide prison places for a reasonable price. Zimbabwe could do with some cash I’d imagine.

craigxxl
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    One of the things I am always keen on – restorative justice. Cleaning up the city. 40 hrs a week of unpaid labour for as long as seems reasonable. months perhaps

I’m all for this but it should be taken a step further with all unemployed been given work to do regardless of what they did before. It would keep them occupied, install working ethics in those that haven’t worked before and hopefully give themselves some respect. The public services would have more than enough staff and a solution to elderly care.

Just because I’ve agreed with you on this don’t let it go to your head, I’m sure we can disagree later.

MartynS

One of the things I am always keen on – restorative justice. Cleaning up the city. 40 hrs a week of unpaid labour for as long as seems reasonable. months perhaps.

OMG.. I agree with TJ, except the 40 hours a week bit.. work them so hard they are to knackered to do anything else

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Can you elaborate on that – why would it do that ? Or haven’t you thought about it ?

Personally I can’t imagine that corporal punishment would be any more effective in stopping re-offending than other available options.

Of course you could be just trolling ton, in which case, please accept my sincerest apologies for missing an obvious troll.

McHamish
    Free Member

I just hope they don’t start issuing ASBOs medals.

grantway
    Free Member

I believe though’s that are under age But happy to do the crime
    Should be sentenced but do the sentence when they are of age.

Because at the moment they know that they are of age that they can’t be touched.
    Also get rid of the Human rights too.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What a good idea! Can I come round your house with a load of mates, smash your home up, rape your wife, torture your kids and then murder you all then?

midlifecrashes

Courts have already seen some, if they have pleaded guilty, some have been sentenced. Some are awaiting sentencing, but the first one I read about got a fine, £150! Was kind of hoping for a bit more.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

There’s alway the Soylent Green option of course – not sure how nutritious the end product would be though..

project
    Free Member

I agree with TJ,, theres so much work that could be done as restorative justice, like building cycle tracks, building trails, painting railings cutting hedges and lawns,recycling sorting,and quite a few more things as well.

But then what do all the council workers do , that already get paid to do such jobs.

maccruiskeen

I believe though’s that are under age But happy to do the crime
    Should be sentenced but do the sentence when they are of age.

Because at the moment they know that they are of age that they can’t be touched.

We’re talking about England though – north of the border its a different matter but down there the age of criminal resposibility is 10 years old, and there are plenty of children in prison, some for quite trivial offenses.
    Watched a documentary about children in prison all round the world, featuring a 12 year old England serving 8 months for nicking some golf clubs and some pokemon cards.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think the Soylent Green option would be better applied to STWers; I mean, they’ll be better nourished, woon’t they? Not scraggy or fatty and full of chemicals….

nedrapier

Can you elaborate on that – why would it do that ? Or haven’t you thought about it ?

Erm…?

I can imagine the prospect of a birching within 2 days of being convicted giving me a bit more pause for thought than the prospect of a 4 week suspended sentence.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Speak for yourself you little fatty – i’ve just been to the chippy! 😛 😆

5thElefant
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Lets hear it then

I don’t have all the answers, obviously, but it’s clear that what we do now doesn’t work very well.

The best way I know of to stop people wanting to commit crimes is to improve conditions and education for everyone.

It would keep them occupied, install working ethics in those that haven’t worked before

HAHAHAH! Forced labour instils a work ethic does it? Priceless! 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

OH FFS! I agree with TJ!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

lobotomies?

Of course corporal punishment will work – as long as you use enough of it…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member

Erm…?

I can imagine the prospect of a birching within 2 days of being convicted giving me a bit more pause for thought than the prospect of a 4 week suspended sentence.

Are we talking about you then ?

And who mentioned a “4 week suspended sentence” ? …..neither me nor ton did.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well they use capital punishment in the states and they still have plenty of crime there. Why would that be I wonder?

maccruiskeen

Well they use capital punishment in the states and they still have plenty of crime there. Why would that be I wonder?

The states illustrates TJ’s point quite well – draconian sentencing, death penalties, the whole lot – and the result – massive crime rates and the biggest prison population in the world, by a massive factor.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘When the rioters get caught, what happens next,’ is closed to new replies.