Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • When the MoT tester's lexicon runs out of rusty adjectives…Land Rover content
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

…its time to admit defeat and cherish the good times

It had to happen, my old Discovery failed it’s MoT yesterday. The fail sheet the mechanic said took longer to complete than the inspection. He ran out or ways to find the right words to say it’s last trip would be to landfill.

I bought it five years ago for £1600. It had been originally owned by a sporting estate in the Lakes who’d sold it to one of their keepers.

I dented it’s unmarked paint a few days later and only washed it before its Mot test.

It’s hauled field stones, gravel, quarry chips, anthracite, logs and even it’s replacement without complaint.

The materials for projects I’ve built would never have made it here without it.

Mechanically and chassis wise its still in good shape, the body it seems no longer wants to embrace them. I’ll keep it for field duties as the mud tyres are unstoppable.

On the bright side in anticipation of a comprehensive death sentence I bought another which has a good body and chassis, carpets that are bone dry and a leather interior which may not be familiar with chainsaws and strimmers.

I seldom feel the same way about other vehicles, Land Rovers get under your skin. Lets see some memories from yours

Edit, I just found this image of it taking the Shogun it replaced to the scrapyard and another life once exported to Africa.

Harry_the_Spider

Sniffs. Farewell knackered blue car.

db

can’t we have a rebuild thread when its brought back to life and the rest of us feel inadequate and inept?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Rust in Peace.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Still there ‘field car’ just not on the roads any more…

scud
    Free Member

This was the best Landy i ever owned. 101 Forward Control with the 3.5 litre petrol engine swapped for a Perkins diesel and kitted out for use in Morocco and beyond. We eventually killed it driving down to Cape Town from Portsmout and the shipping costs were more than it was worth in the state it was in, broke my heart to leave it behind.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iLLqPh]3[/url] by Scud75, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iLJbvQ]2[/url] by Scud75, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iLLr5h]1[/url] by Scud75, on Flickr

notmyrealname
    Free Member

This was the best Landy i ever owned. 101 Forward Control with the 3.5 litre petrol engine swapped for a Perkins diesel and kitted out for use in Morocco and beyond. We eventually killed it driving down to Cape Town from Portsmout and the shipping costs were more than it was worth in the state it was in, broke my heart to leave it behind.

That sounds like a bloody amazing trip!

scud
    Free Member

That sounds like a bloody amazing trip!

We used to take aussies and kiwi’s on 5 week tours round morocco for 5 weeks in it, then one day my mate and i where made redundant from job we’d been doing in between Morocco trips, and we thought we’d see how far we could get travelling down through Morocco into West Africa, and then that turned into a Trans-Africa trip down to Cape Town, 7 months and a really good beard by the end of it!

wzzzz
    Free Member

One day it will be resurrected… look at the number of early range rovers now emerging from rebuilds….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We used to take aussies and kiwi’s on 5 week tours round morocco for 5 weeks in it, then one day my mate and i where made redundant from job we’d been doing in between Morocco trips, and we thought we’d see how far we could get travelling down through Morocco into West Africa, and then that turned into a Trans-Africa trip down to Cape Town, 7 months and a really good beard by the end of it!

This is worthy of a whole new thread.

matt_outandabout

That blue trailer looks as useful as the blue Disco….

ulysse
    Free Member

let me guess…
    Rust on body mounts, sills, bottom of door pillar, flitch panel under front wheel arches to front bulkhead, inner wings, headlight mounts, rear body cross member under boot door and the boot floor itself

Did i miss owt?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

“let me guess…
    Rust on body mounts, sills, bottom of door pillar, flitch panel under front wheel arches to front bulkhead, inner wings, headlight mounts, rear body cross member under boot door and the boot floor itself

Did i miss owt?”

Yes, the front number plate was loose and a brake light bulb was out

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha. Ulysses did you already read my guess on Facebook or something ?

ulysse
    Free Member

Bitter experience… 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha I scrapped a g reg (not a g wac) disco just the other week . I was expecting the chassis to stay on the ground when he lifted it !

andyha
    Free Member

It broke my heart to get rid of my 300 commercial, when the inspector went for screwdriver I knew it was all over. Perfect mechanically, just had it re bushed but couldn’t face another big bill.

Would love another one but will wait for the numbers to come up

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘When the MoT tester's lexicon runs out of rusty adjectives…Land Rover content’ is closed to new replies.