• This topic has 48 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by poah.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • When somebody loses weight, where does the fat go? BMJ article.
  • D0NK

Seems a bit like arguing that a burnt log doesn’t turn into heat and light, but smoke and ash.

yeah it’s pedantry* but I’d quite like the health professionals who look after us to be knowledgeable on health stuff.

*and quite possibly a badly worded question intended to steer you to the wrong answer

*and quite possibly a badly worded question intended to steer you to the wrong answer

I also think it’s significant that the headline, “When somebody loses weight, where does the fat go?“, is slightly different to the actual question asked, “When somebody loses weight, where does it go?”

I think if you asked 50 cyclist mechanics what the recommended chain stretch limit is, more of them would say 0.5% than would point out that chains don’t stretch, it’s the internal bearing surfaces wearing out.
    I wouldn’t take that as proof that they don’t know their job.

It would be interesting to see this done again with a properly worded question, like “When somebody loses weight, where do the fat molecules go?”, but it would probably be hard to find 50 doctors, dieticians and personal trainers who haven’t heard about this now and would have the correct answer ready.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Seems a bit like arguing that a burnt log doesn’t turn into heat and light, but smoke and ash.

Actually, it’s both.Depends whose log you burn.

Personal trainers’ probably go off like a flare thanks to the fat content.

martinhutch

The article on the surface is about where the fat goes, but really (in tune with the normal silly Christmas BMJ spirit, is about how many health professionals haven’t got a clue. 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If you’re on slimming world you fart it out. Looking forward to Mrs S new years resolutions. 🙁

miketually
    Free Member

The *mass* of the log doesn’t turn to heat and light…

hilldodger
    Free Member

vickypea – Member

I’m talking about why it’s in the NEWS….

Xmas BMJ fluff article, plus increasing media awareness that most people are pretty uninformed about how their bodies work and will get high ratings on twitter etc

ransos
    Free Member

The *mass* of the log doesn’t turn to heat and light…

Yes, but that takes us back to the badly-worded question. It’s absolutely correct to say that the oxidation of fat produces energy…

poah
    Free Member

depends wither the fat has even, odd carbons or is unsaturated lol

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘When somebody loses weight, where does the fat go? BMJ article.’ is closed to new replies.