Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • When one of your kids do something to really melt your heart
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Not a big thing but anyway….

Went out for a late evening dog walk on Friday with my two 8 yr olds on their scooters so had my trusty head torch with me. The girls wanted to play in the playground so off they went with said head torch (I stood by the gate with the dog). Five minutes later they return with a broken torch. I was disappointed (I use it daily for dog walking in the winter) but just put it down to an accident and didn’t make a thing of it.

On Sunday she appears with a box and a little Post-It stuck to it saying ‘sorry I broke your head tourch (sp) daddy’. All done on her own back, got my wife to order it on Amazon and gave her the money.

I was very nearly in tears 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

A sign of good parenting :).

DezB
    Free Member

Yup, they are what you make em 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Let her know that she’s now your favourite daughter and that her sister really needs to up her game if she wants to stay living under your roof.

DezB
    Free Member

ps. my lad just messaged me calling me a “mug” because I used the wrong photo on a membership card for him 😆 Warms the cockles.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Yup, they are what you make em

Or as my mum likes to say, nature or nurture, it’s down to me!

5plusn8
    Free Member

Rob Hilton – Member
    A sign of good parenting :).

Considering I just told the wife about this thread and she snorted at the idea that either of our kids would do this, I am going ask johndoh to give me some tips..

thehustler
    Free Member

My daughter would be gutted, sad and want to replace, my son would deny any involvement of having ever touched the torch even though it was donr right infront of you, the joys of adopted children with attachment difficulties…..

johndoh
    Free Member

I am going ask johndoh to give me some tips..

You need to ask my wife 😉

She has had extra special big hugs from me since.

(And I am going to give her the money back – £13 is a lot of money to her).

theotherjonv

don’t….. let her feel like she has repaid you.

Then invent ways in which you can reward her / she can earn it back so she’s not out of pocket. Effect is the same but one way doesn’t look like ‘you broke my torch and I’m pleased you made amends but I just wrote a cheque for it myself’, and also means every time you use it you can think it’s the torch your daughter bought you with her own money.

Soppy buggers aren’t we?

nick1962
    Free Member

my son would deny any involvement of having ever touched the torch even though it was done right infront of you, the joys of adopted children with attachment difficulties…..

+1 It’s not just ours then!

johndoh
    Free Member

Then invent ways in which you can reward her / she can earn it back so she’s not out of pocket. Effect is the same but one way doesn’t look like ‘you broke my torch and I’m pleased you made amends but I just wrote a cheque for it myself’, and also means every time you use it you can think it’s the torch your daughter bought you with her own money.

Good point

Soppy buggers aren’t we?

I wasn’t until kids came along.

kerbdog
    Free Member

The wife and i had a rare night out while the kids spent the night with their grandparents. Next morning the wife was feeling a little “under the weather” Which to be fair is very unlike her but she asked me to collect the kids as she couldn’t face driving. I grabbed them from the grandparents and just before we got out of the car i asked them to be extra quiet because mum was feeling a little tender. My ten year old son who is autistic asked if it would be ok to go and see her as she was still in bed, i agreed and said she would be really glad to see him.
    He came down stairs and made tea for her and took it up.
    Later that day my wife came down and said he came in and asked her if there was anything he could do to make her feel better, he’d even make her toast if she wanted. One of my sons sensory issues is that he hates the smell and sound of eating toast so you ca imagine there was a bit of a tear in her eye when he offered to do this.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Muppet wrangler nails it! I’m going to remember that one as my two get older! 😀

GrahamS

Good parenting work OP! And I agree with theotherjonv, let her believe she has paid for it.

I had a similar thing recently: my 7yo came to me very apologetically and told me she was very sorry but she had broken my tape measure (an old crappy one – the rivets that hold on the end gave out).

I bought a nice fancy new one from B&Q and passed it to her mum, so I could be given it as an “extra surprise” at Christmas. 😀

matt_outandabout

Yup, they are what you make em

Oh crap.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sweet sorry but I especially love the fact that the advert immediately above the original post, is for a head torch!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘When one of your kids do something to really melt your heart’ is closed to new replies.