Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • When it seems too good to be true (ebay bargain)
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transition-Bandit-/261539351780?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3ce4f5cce4

Ok, I’m instantly suspicious, but at the same time want to bite his hand off. What should I be checking? I can ask for proof of original ownership, but it isn’t a retail build (nukeproof bars) so the frame may have come from ebay/here/guy in pub.

Just cos it’s in my ideal price range doesn’t mean it’s hooky – does it???

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I don’t see anything all that suspicious here?

No bids, so £800 starting bids, damage mentioned and photographed, no spelling mistakes/obvious errors when mentioning frame or manufacturer etc. Only the lack of info is dodgy and that’s not all the unusual. There also a name and number. I’d get a bid and see where it goes.

RobHilton
    Free Member

You may have a point; I’m just a little wary 🙂

Russell96

Pics show brakes in UK style as is background so not a nicked pic of MTBR , saddle is at correct height which is the usual alert for a dodgy sale when they are dropped low for a XC type bike, agree lack of info is a bit unusual.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Could those top tube scratches be caused by forcing a lock? (Where’s the swivelly eyeballed smiley?)

Mbnut
    Free Member

Ha… you have now alerted the STW massive to a reasonably priced bike.

If it was a large I would have phoned the guy this morning and picked it up on my way through later today… I suggest you take this down and buy it if it is what you are looking for.

POI

It has Swampthings on it and the guy lives in Machen which has many muddy DH trails that are pretty steep/gnar. I would suspect it has been properly ridden. I would expect the kit to be well used and maybe in need of some tlc/servicing.

It is a reasonable price for a bike that really is fun to ride.

Good luck and enjoy if you go for it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Hate to upset you but that’s just a start price, not a buy it now.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’d take a lot more than that to upset me.

Yep, realised I was flagging up a potential bargain for someone else, but lets say it’s in the name of solidarity and brotherly love for my fellow STWers shall we? 🙂

The tyre combo jumped out as being a little odd; I’ve not ridden in conditions where a mud on the front/HR (not known for their prowess in slop) on the back would seems an ideal combo. Mind you swampies front & rear would be a little draggy out of the mud 🙂

Cheers for the info Mbnut

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Seller can’t construct a sentence, if that matters.

hora
    Free Member

Receipt or proof of purchase

footstomper
    Free Member

Easy way to see if the seller is genuine ask for his address as you would prefer to check out the bike & pay cash on collection.
    If he refuses or asks you to meet him on a motorway service station stay clear 🙂

transition1
    Free Member

How tall are you? Bandits come up small!
    a large would fit 5ft 8 – 6ft 2
    I might be selling my Large Bandit at some point

dbcooper
    Free Member

For what its worth, I do not think the tyre combo is odd, I often only fit a front mud tyre. You want grip at the front and drift/slideablity at the back, especially in mucky conditions, or sandy dry dusty condtions..

jam-bo

Easy way to see if the seller is genuine ask for his address as you would prefer to check out the bike & pay cash on collection.

or so you could come round and steal it…

chakaping
    Free Member

or so you could come round and steal it…

Innit, my alarm bells would be ringing if I got asked for my address before a sale on ebay.

OP – If concerned about the bike being nicked – ask the seller for proof of ownership, if no receipt then a reference from an LBS usually satisfies me (give them a ring and sound them out about the seller).

And if I’m keen on a biek I usually check with the seller if he’s letting the auction run or taking offers. Whether you want to go off ebay or not, it helps to know if the seller is likely to flog it before auction ends.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘When it seems too good to be true (ebay bargain)’ is closed to new replies.