Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • when is the bloody rain gonna stop??
  • organic355
    Free Member

its really starting to get me down, was planning a blast round the local forests but they will just be mud/bog bath just now.

Is there a long range forecast?, Is July supposed to be any better? Seriously regretting moving from California to Scotland now!!!

jota180
    Free Member

Is there a long range forecast?, Is July supposed to be any better?

5 days is the best you can hope for with any degree of accuracy, and then the last 2 days are a bit of a guess a lot of the time

I just use the road bike when it’s wet, went out yesterday in the wind and rain and managed 50 miles without it getting me down

fadda

There are patches of blue sky in South Wales this morning, for the first time in what seems like weeks.

I’m taking a bike out this afternoon, however muddy the trails are!

trout
    Free Member

I have all the sunshine here in Crete will bring it back on Wednesday

fadda

Yes, please, Chris!

hugor
    Free Member

Still raining in Cardiff right now 🙁

zippykona

Buy some cyclo cross tyres. Honestly they are so incredibly fantastically marvellous in the gloop. No mud specific tyre comes close.
    On One do the Schwalbe cx pro in 26″ for £10 each.
    If you are 29ing you are well in. (I run 29 wheels with cross tyres on a 26)
    Rocks and roots aren’t great though!

jonahtonto
    Free Member

glorious sunshine in swansea. shame i cant get a ride in today 🙁

donsimon
    Free Member

Sun’s just popped out. 😀
    Time to crack out the sun cream.

organic355
    Free Member

Right sod it, I am going to get Muddy.

zippykona

Mud Honour.

hugor
    Free Member

I’ve been procrastinating all morning trying to find some way around the post muddy ride faff. There’s no solution.
    I’m off to play in the mud too. Damn!

beej

Lovely and sunny in Newbury! Well, it was when I was out 7.30-10.30.

Clouding over now.

organic355
    Free Member

went out, got soaked, got muddy, got a big smile on my face. Hot shower, bacon roll. Good times.

elaineanne
    Free Member

dry here today.. singletrack land.. tho the sun popped his head out just as soon as i had finished my ride….typical lol 🙄

chvck
    Free Member

Sunny all day here in mid-west Wales!

amodicumofgnar

Everything seems to be roughly following the trends of the last few years in the Peak so I’m going for end of August with drier Autumn.

hugor
    Free Member

Hasn’t stopped raining in South Wales since the OP. pretty shit summer really!

rewski
    Free Member

Maybe now I’ve taken my small block 8s off 😉

Bucko

Its sunny in Devon today, but the trails are still 6 inches deep in mud so it doesn’t really matter. Wettest April since records began and now one of the wettest Junes since records began.

July and August would have to be Sahara like conditions to dry the trails out in my area.

ononeorange

Absolutely dreadful around here – deep mud (worse than winter) all chewed up by the horses. I can’t remember the last time I rode above about 3mph nor in a straightish line.

Long range forecast is showing very wet for July and August.

ourmaninthenorth

Sunday’s my longer ride day. I loathe getting the road bike so filthy, so might have to get the CX bike and hit the local cheek – no-one else will be out, so no-one can complain..!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I agree with the OP – without meaning to sound soft, it is starting to get me down.
    Went out last night when it was only spitting, within an hour it was torrential and the trails are all ruined.
    I wont be back out until its dried out fully and I cant see that happening for weeks.

So, 1/2 way in to 2012, and weve had a bout 10 good days of trail riding, including work days.. what a bummer.

Please please please can we have a long dry 2nd half of the year.

Aristotle
    Free Member

hugor – Member
    pretty shit summer really!

In the UK we cling on to a myth that after a winter of greyness and murk, the summer will be great, like a 4 month long episode of ”The Darling Buds Of May”

It gives us hope, although the evidence isn’t there

-It’s a bit like religion(although a lack of faith from some people may explain the popularity of foreign beach holidays…)

What appears to happen is that Autumn and Spring often aren’t too bad and the summer (in North West England) is generally quite wet and not particularly warm.

Winter varies between being ‘mild & grey’ and being ‘cold & grey’.

…One barbecue in April does not a summer make.

ps. Of course, back in the day, the UK must have been situated somewhere in southern-central Europe, as winter were apparently all cold, crisp and snowy and all summers were hot and dry, (with drinking water presumably appearing from the ground). It must have moved to the North East Atlantic only in the past 60 years or so.

Please please please can we have a long dry 2nd half of the year.

More evidence for the religion argument!

scaled
    Free Member

I set out for work this morning on the road bike then before i’d got off the drive went back indoors as I realised that today was going to be a day where i’d need a complete change of clothes :/

Oh and when i got to work my pannier hadnt been entirely waterproof – cue about 10 mins in front of the hand dryer

slimjim78
    Free Member

Aristotle

When I grew p in the 80’s/90’s, winters were colder, snow was more prevailent (in the south) , I remember building make shift igloo’s in the playground year after year! – and summers tended to appear for at least a few weeks – with longer dry spells leading to completely dried out fields/gardens and plenty of ice cream.

We are now witnessing one or two hot/muggy weeks during the summer with much milder winters.
    There’s been a definite shift in my opinion, and from what I can tell, many others opinion too despite rose tinted glasses.
    Oct 30th last year was one of the hottest and sunniest rides of the year!
    We are possibly just going through a blip in the general long term weather pattern cycles, or arguably witnessing some effects of begining of global warming or natural warm up/cool down of wider weather.

And I can assure you, my request for hot weather wasn’t leaning toward devine intervention

jam-bo

We are now witnessing one or two hot/muggy weeks with milder winters.

we’ve just had the coldest three winters that I can remember.

slimjim78
    Free Member

milder in my opinion in terms of winter longevity/average temp.

We have had one or two patches of snow bringing the country to its knees for a week or so in recent years, but I haven’t seen anything like the depths of snow I saw in the late 80’s since.

but last winter was chilly, granted.

glenh
    Free Member

but last winter was chilly, granted.

Eh? February was one of the warmest on record and it only snowed once here in yorkshire.

Aristotle
    Free Member

but I haven’t seen anything like the depths of snow I saw in the late 80’s since.

Knee-deep wasn’t as high then as it is now. 😉

In the early 1980s I remember watching people on Blue Peter building igloos on their school field whilst there was only a light dusting of snow/sleet outside our house on the Lancashire Plain. I think there may have been a few cold-ish winters in the 80s, but people then were talking about the winters in the ‘olden days’, and the warm summers.

I also remember some warm and some very wet summer school holidays.

People still talk about the hot summer of 1976.

1962-3 was cold apparently.

1946-7 was cold apparently.

These dates stand out because they were unusual.

Haze

Last winter was one of the mildest I can remember, never once needed to break out the overshoes.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Knee-deep wasn’t as high then as it is now.

True!

Still want to perfect the igloo though..

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘when is the bloody rain gonna stop??’ is closed to new replies.