Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • When is going through a red light and killing someone NOT dangerous driving?
  • wisepranker
    Free Member

I can assure you that there are very very few who have a ‘gung-ho’ attitude

You’ve obviously not met any of our student paramedics.

Generally with next to no driving experience, the only time they’ve driven anything bigger than a car is when they paid out a small fortune to get through their C1 test, then a three week service driving course. They have it drummed in to them by some university lecturers, who are pretty out of touch with reality, that they are going to be superheroes and must get to every job in less than the 8 minute target set by the Government.

Being on a blue light run with them can be absolutely terrifying. How more people aren’t killed or injured by them, I’ll never know 😯

Woody
    Free Member

Wisepranker – a student driving like that with me would be given the option of slowing down or getting out of the cab. Simple

wisepranker
    Free Member

Wisepranker – a student driving like that with me would be given the option of slowing down or getting out of the cab. Simple

Strangely enough, that’s exactly what happened.
    It was closely followed by him being told that if he drove like a dick again when I was in the motor with him, we’d be back to station and I’d be refusing to work with him.
    I think he got the idea 😀

MrAgreeable

I can’t find the judgment, but I seem to recall from my law student days that the test applied by the courts is to imagine a policeman stood at the junction directing traffic

and consider whether they would have waved the emergency vehicle through. Perhaps not entirely sound.

konabunny
    Free Member

Sounds like the least helpful rule of thumb ever. It’s entirely contextual.

MrAgreeable

Yeah it does sound like the sort of thing a bunch of slightly dotty old blokes locked in a room together would come up with. More recent judgments seem to take a more sensible approach, i.e. whether the driver took a reasonable amount of care.

lightman
    Free Member

ITV now.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘When is going through a red light and killing someone NOT dangerous driving?’ is closed to new replies.