Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • When is a photocopy not a photocopy?
  • CountZero

It’s really taken sombody all this time to notice that photocopiers distort characters, especially at small sizes, causing certain figures and letters to look like different ones?
    I was aware of that thirty years ago… 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s more than distortion, it seems that it’s actually doing OCR on the image and then reconstituting it.

footflaps

It’s more than distortion, it seems that it’s actually doing OCR on the image and then reconstituting it.

They’re all scanners and printers now, with a processor in between, hence data gets corrupted in the lossy process between the two ends.

DezB
    Free Member

When is a photocopy not a photocopy?

When it’s taken on a iBum chair?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Welcome to the digital world.

The only people surprised by this are really failing to understand exactly what is going on inside a scanner- it’s not OCR’ing and then magically substituting characters, it’s simply a compression artefact.

Granted it’s rather an unfortunate one- one that should probably be avoided by Xerox choosing an appropriate amount of compression in the software!

plyphon
    Free Member

Numbers were randomly being altered, with 6 and 8 proving especially susceptible.

That’s not randomly then is it.

retro83
    Free Member

theroadwarrior – Member

Welcome to the digital world.

The only people surprised by this are really failing to understand exactly what is going on inside a scanner- it’s not OCR’ing and then magically substituting characters, it’s simply a compression artefact.

Granted it’s rather an unfortunate one- one that should probably be avoided by Xerox choosing an appropriate amount of compression in the software!

It’s a strange artifact though, I reckon they are doing pattern matching, the scanner effectively learning the font as it goes through the document, replacing subsequent uses of the same(!) letters with just a pointer back to the first instance.

So in a way, it’s closer to deduping rather than a traditional lossy compression algorithm like JPG. Very clever, but obviously needs more tuning!

joemarshall
    Free Member

No that’s not right, the compression format involved actually does OCR to find characters, so if the OCR has an error between similar characters like 6 and 8, then a completely wrong character gets put in. It is a symbol based compression format. Nothing like what is traditionally thought of as a compression artifact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBIG2

joemarshall
    Free Member

Why it is worse than blurred figures and traditional compression artefacts is that an error is not obviously blurred and hard to read, it comes out as a perfectly rendered but wrong symbol.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, see the 3rd line – that’s not a blurry 6, that’s an 8. That’s not a traditional compression artifact, it’s an OCR error.

5thElefant
    Free Member

No good for photocopying bank notes then…

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve never had much luck with my fake £6 notes anyway…

woody2000

My god, what if someone photocopies an Excel spreadsheet……!

midlifecrashes

My god, what if someone photocopies an Excel spreadsheet……!

Don’t be silly, you can never get the laptop screen to sit flat enough on the copier.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve never had much luck with my fake £6 notes anyway…

you’d do better to copy them into £8 notes 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘When is a photocopy not a photocopy?’ is closed to new replies.