Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • When is a bike really too much for the terrain?
  • Conan257
    Free Member

Those cheap nukeproof Mega’s and the El Guapo are looking mightily tempting and would suit a nice bit of Gravity Enduro…

But I’ve only cash for one bike, and my nearest trails happen to be Sherwood Pines…

Would it be ridiculous to ride a 30lb Mega around Sherwood?

br
    Free Member

Buy the bike you’d ride most, and then hire/demo one when you need it?

passtherizla
    Free Member

nothing wrong with riding 6 inches in the local park… I’ll be upgrading the meta soon and don’t really want/need any more travel but i do want something sturdier… was thinking along the same lines but with a covert.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Used to do my paper round on a marin b17 with monster ts and 1×8 was my only bike , just changed the tires as michelin comp 24s rolled slow

The bikes only as slow as capible as your legs

Conan257
    Free Member

Since i’m looking at racing next, I dont think hiring would be an option…

Probably going to end up saying “bollocks to it, i’m buying the damn bike it’s so cheap”.. Or something along those lines.

chiefgrooveguru

When it’s boring.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

If you only have one bike, then imo, you might as well get one that can have a go at anything.

crush83
    Free Member

My local is Sherwood too and I am looking at a pivot mach 5.7 carbon as a do it all bike.

chiefgrooveguru

You don’t need a Mega to have a go at anything! A long-travel HT or light slack full sus 120-140mm won’t be out of its depth on gravity enduro races as long as you’re not chasing the seconds for a podium place.

Wookster

Go for it if it’s what you fancy and can afford then go for it!!! 😀

tazzymtb

just ride what makes you smile. Big fat hairy bollox to what anyone else thinks

Northwind

I ride my 6-inch bouncer with its coil forks more than any other bike I own… On paper it’s too much bike for a lot of my riding, in practice it’s fine- harder work on the climbs and changes the nature of the descents a bit. I don’t know Sherwood but I’ve done some pretty straightforward XC stuff on it

(day one of a holiday last year- nevis range for the red uplift and world cup downhill. Day two, XC miles on the west highland way. Never felt like the wrong bike)

To be fair, not all big bikes are created equal, there’s plenty out there that I wouldn’t want to do that on. But the good ones, well, they’re good.

Garry_Lager

30 lbs is nothing – but long travel bikes round the local woods do suck IME – Blancmange riding.
    Don’t know Sherwood though, maybe you could make it work. Having a nice, bigger bike would also motivate you to travel places to put it through its paces.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘When is a bike really too much for the terrain?’ is closed to new replies.