Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • When is a bike ‘too much' bike?
  • jameso

I’m just questioning if 150mm is maybe too much travel for my needs,

Is it about ‘needs’ or ‘feel’?

maxtorque’s right, there’s great all-day ride >150mm bikes out there yet in most of the places a bike like that would suit some will be happiest on a 100mm 29er HT. It’s about what you want a bike to feel like and your attitude to riding. imo ‘overbiked’ is only a thing if you find a bike wallowy and soft when you prefer taut and agile, or similar.

For the places you list, both a 100mm race bike and a 150mm Enduro bike could be fine.

philjunior
    Free Member

“Over-biked” = shorthand for under-fit or under-trailed.

Dual ply dh tyres do generally limit my enjoyment playing round on flatish bits in the woods though, regardless of the rest of the bike. Must get fitter by training with them on I suppose!

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

I’ve got a Carbine 29 (140 FS) which is an awesome machine but recently got a Stanton 29 HT which has blown me away. I think the short back end gives better manoeuvrability and the way you can get more forward momentum pumping through the trail makes it feel very rewarding. Maybe you don’t hit things as hard (not sure if I don’t?) but I seem to be able to get more speed out of the trail by lifting over and pumping the trail more.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘When is a bike ‘too much' bike?’ is closed to new replies.