• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by t-p26.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • When i were a lad…
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I know, i’m not particualrly hep to the groove like many of you cats here, but i recently started looking at buying bikes, road and ATB and i see that Viking and Jamis are two new brands which seem to have appeared, where did they come from? are they any good?

SaxonRider

I’ve never heard of Jamis, but everything I could find out about Viking suggests that they pretty much define the BSO.

thepodge
    Free Member

They have been around ages, just never been that popular over here.

Viking are probably less good than Jamis but you cant really buy a bad bike these days, the market is too full to let bad bikes slip through.

darrell
    Free Member

Jamis are quite popular in Norway

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/index.html
    Been going 30 years…
    Some really nice steel frames in there and some stunning road bargains were to be had as they were pitching above their branding after a spell going unnoticed.

chipster

I used to have a Viking, got it from Mick Donovan Cycles in Wakefield. It was my first “racer”.
    Columbus Steel frame, Universal brakes, and Simplex gears (5 speed).
    Must’ve been autumn 1972, though, so not really relevant.
    Sorry, as you were.

dovebiker

Viking are a long-established name in the UK but expect the bikes you see these days are typically BSO (Bike Shaped Objects), bought on the never-never catalogue-fare that spend most of their like as garage-ware. Their only redeeming feature might be price, but they often feature surprisingly heavy, low-specification parts that offer limited upgrade potential – avoid unless you’re desperate.

Jamis are a US brand that at least having their own-design products but nothing special IMO.

thepodge
    Free Member

dovebiker – Jamis are a US brand that at least having their own-design products but nothing special IMO.

I may be wrong but I’m fairly sure there are a good few rebranded catalogue frames in their line up.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

but you cant really buy a bad bike these days, the market is too full to let bad bikes slip through.

oh, you can. You really really can.

rOcKeTdOg

jamis used to advertise bikes in MBA in the late 80’s, been around ages, may not be the same owners though obviously

viking were a brand in the 1900’s, suspect someone bought the name
    http://classicvikingcycles.com/

he History Of Viking Cycles

There is already an excellent history of Viking Cycle Company on the website of the Wolverhampton Museum Of Industry. We have recently added a History page to which you can navigate using the Menu above, This is strictly Work in Progress with the aim of compiling a more detailed history of the various incarnations of Viking – from the beginnings (in 1908 – to be confirmed) through incorporation in the 1930s to the demise of the original company in 1967, followed by various reincarnations. The Viking name is currently owned by a company called Avocet

DezB
    Free Member

Used to see a fair few Jamis bikes at XC races in the 90s, hen they disappeared (lack of a distributor, I believe). Came back a couple of years ago, not sure if they’re a lower quality brand than they used to be (might be the same), but get that impression. One of the kids at our rugby rides one in, cable disks, pretty low rent, but much better than a bso.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Jamis does Enduro
    Some interesting bikes in the line up including a bunch on bang on trend steel + HT’s specifically for STW 😉
    Plenty of stuff shipping with good top end parts and specs.
    The produced some very good aero road bikes a couple of years back too,

tomhoward

Jamis used to sponsor the MBUK team didn’t they? Though the bikes may have been other brands just stickers up…

t-p26
    Free Member

Though the bikes may have been other brands just stickers up…

That would be the Jamtense M1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘When i were a lad…’ is closed to new replies.