Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • When I retire I am going to…
  • Spin
    Free Member

…learn to play the piano part of Handbags and Gladrags.

amongst other things.

What will you do that you’ve got no time for now?

Drac

Ride my bike.

Spin
    Free Member

You can do better than that Drac!

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m only 30 so seriously doubt I’ll ever retire, enjoy it while it’s still an option 🙁

Edit, but if I could retire I’d ‘bang’ grannies!!

northernmatt

^^^^ what he said

niksnr
    Free Member

……..be dead cos the government will have raised the retirement age again!

ton

ride off the ferry in Calais, with my fantastic wife, and get lost for a year or so.

Spin
    Free Member

Edit, but if I could retire I’d ‘bang’ grannies!!

Why wait for retirement?

Spin
    Free Member

ride off the ferry in Calais, with my fantastic wife, and get lost for a year or so.

I could go for that. Will your wife be available in 2039? 😉

ineedabeer
    Free Member

Im 47 & semi retired already!!!!! 🙂

slofox
    Free Member

I am retired and I have played in several rock bands, a countryish band backing a songwriter, formed a new rock band, now play with the drummer of said band as an acoustic duo, I walk the dogs and I ride my full sus. MTB! I am being treated for cancer but so far it hasn’t stopped me doing any of the above!

eskay

Play minecraft…..

Drac

You can do better than that Drac

And drink beer.

Spin
    Free Member

@slofox – good work fella.

Spin
    Free Member

And drink beer.

You begin to interest me…

Suggsey
    Free Member

48 and fully retired, just riding bikes, doing the housework and smiling a lot 😛

mightymule
    Free Member

Live in Swaledale.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Move to Cumbria, ride my bikes, walk the fells and drink beer. This could be happening before the end of this year……………. 😀

ineedabeer
    Free Member

Nice one Suggsey a couple more years & then I will be fully done—-happy days

Drac

48 and retired very nice.

41 here 24 years in the NHS only 27 to go.

Spin
    Free Member

48 and fully retired

If it’s not too personal a question, how did you manage that? In broad general terms of course.

langylad
    Free Member

Good chance Suggsey joined the police cadets at 17 ish. Either that or he got 2 full terms in as an MP 😉

eskay

Good chance Suggsey joined the police cadets at 17 ish. Either that or he got 2 full terms in as an MP

Armed forces?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Move to Wales, somewhere along the Mawddach, ride my bike in the morning, blast in the Ariel Atom in the afternoon, few ales in the evening, back to the shack to snuggle my good lady by the Dru 78 stove and only 1093 days to go.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Controversial maybe, but I quite fancy getting into hard drugs when I’m old, I mean proper old, not retirement age. I mean, it’s not very clever to get a drug habit when one is young, but when you’re old you’ve nothing to lose. And it’d be a shame to miss out. Standing on your allotment in the setting sun, having a nice relaxing smoke of crack.

footflaps

Live in Swaledale.

Interesting choice, I own half a house in Muker. Not sure I’d like to retire there though, seems very insular and the winters are long, damp and dark!

scotroutes

I retired 5 years ago (to the day – how scary is that!!!)

Took some time off, got bored, worked in a bike shop for a couple of years, had a break for a couple of years, moved house, worked in an outdoors shop for a few months and I’m about to start in another bike shop this week. It’s nice knowing you can do part time hours, keep the coffers topped up and nothing is super-critical. I guess that when Mrs Scotroutes retires we’ll likely pop off for some trekking.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

…have a little peace to get on with some work.

Sandwich

41 here 24 years in the NHS only 27 to go

There’s a “currently” missing from that sentence Drac.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Sorry for delay in reply, I joined police force at eighteen and a half years and two weeks of age which certainly back then was the absolute minimum age of a fully fledged police constable.
    I completed my 30 years of service back at the start of October last year having given my all to the job, having saved lives, locked up some very bad people and helped many many others. It was a really hard, gratifying 30 years but all the poor work life conditions , lack of sleep etc to make sure I still had quality time with the kids when on nights etc etc has also lead to me having type2 diabetes at the relatively young age of 39!
    I know it will pee many people off re golden plated pension etc etc etc but in my defence 30 years ago I knew that was what I was signing up into, paying above 11% of my wages from the day I joined to much higher figure before leaving. I have been assaulted, been at the other end of sharp knives held by people wishing me harm, stared down the sawn off double barrel that was cocked and safety off and as some that have read other posts or know me dealt with gruesome events. I have one Royal Humane Society award for saving life, and 10 chief constables commendations, some of which I am very proud of.
    I used to work in a police family that has been eroded away and now is being hit financially so that people like me saw that the risks and reward were diminishing fast. I know I was fortunate to retire before my pension was trashed along with the dream of being a retired 48 year old but I made it through in one piece and jumped at the chance when it came.
    I know my life span potentially is going to be 10 years less than I may have attained before the diabetes but wouldn’t have changed my life so far. Now I live a time rich happy budgeted life and hope to do so for as long as posssible.
    I can take the criticisms other folk who have lost company pensions etc etc etc but know hand on heart I have earned what I now have.
    As for the rest left on the listing ship I hope they all make it to their home ports. Over my thirty years I have known some of my colleagues be down right criminals, who I may add we’re dealt with and suitably improsoned and some pay the ultimate sacrifice or just sadly die along the way from natural causes. RIP those friends.
    I prepare for some STW abuse…….

footflaps

I prepare for some STW abuse…….

None from me, you held up your part of the bargain, so you’ve earned it!

jag61

find out how skint we will be on a ‘gold plated'(teachers)pension 🙁

Drac

Get ‘im.

Nope not from me I work alongside the Police so have a great deal of respect for them.

There’s a “currently” missing from that sentence Drac.

Good point.

benji
    Free Member

Ride my bikes, and catch large tench.

Suggsey
    Free Member

It’s all public sectors pensions that are being hammered I agree however when you look at what’s been payed in by some of that sector there is a vast difference along with 30 days leave a year to in some roles a lot longer…….oh of course apart from the politicians pensions!
    What can you do though if financially you end up still tied into that pension or indeed love the job you do. I fear for the future of policing for sure!

JEngledow
    Free Member

footflaps +1

bearnecessities

Standing on your allotment in the setting sun, having a nice relaxing smoke of crack.

😀 Although think I’d be sitting.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Due to some good fortune and no real planning (but it did include working hard and and no hand ups), I was fortunate enough to be in a position to “retire” 3 years ago. I’m 43 (sorry folks). One point I will make is I had cancer a couple of times in my early 20’s and it did change my perceptions of what was important (for those interested, it’s time…. You can make it or buy it, so never waste it)

We have 3 children who are all at school so I’m fortunate that I get to drop them off and pick them up every day, a task I very much enjoy. Oh ye, and we live in North Wales and I get to ride my bike Mondays, Tuesday and Thursdays (and Saturday mornings with my mates).

Sorry folks, it’s friggin brilliant.

langylad
    Free Member

Sugs, I guessed your (previous) job. I wasn’t having a go, I have 9 years 344 days left to go in what remains of your previous employment. I joined at 26 so many of my dear friends have retired recently having joined at a similar age to yourself.
    Drac, out of all the 24/7 jobs out there I have to say I think you chaps really do deserve far more credit, (money) than you get. The nurses and firemen get all the credit when you know it is your lot and my lot that do the hard yards 😀

Drac

Drac, out of all the 24/7 jobs out there I have to say I think you chaps really do deserve far more credit, (money) than you get

Thank you but I’ll put us both on par, alongside Nurses. I’ll leave it there. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘When I retire I am going to…’ is closed to new replies.