Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • When home bike maintenance goes properly wrong
  • BearBack
    Free Member

Pushed too many pistons out of the caliper during bleeding to remember..
    Fortunately with magura they pop straight back in with no ill effect.
    cleaning the fluid up off my shoes or the garage floor is more annoying..

muckytee
    Free Member

Calliper rebuild on my Avids. Pumping the pistons out using a track pump… the piston shoots out of the calliper hitting me in my head just above my eye, a bit too close that. 😕

MrH
    Free Member

Had a bespoke frame built, but the seat post only went in 2 inches. Rather than return to the builder I borrowed a reamer from the machine shop at work. I didn’t get the thing vertical and made one side of the seat tube as thin as tin foil. That was 20 years ago and I still wince at the thought.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Decided to change my headset on my bike the day before I was going to the Alps as stripping it down saw the headset in it was rusty inside. Removed it no problems, nice sunny afternoon, on the driveway. What could go wrong?

Got my trusty old parts bin bike out and went to remove the Hope headset in it. Hitting down with the headset removal tool took the bottom cup out nicely, hitting up was another matter as the cup and bearing went flying.

I searched everywhere for them and eventually found the cup in the bushed next door but no bearing after about an hour of frustrated searching.

With not much time to spare a new headset was sorted and fitted.

The bearing was found the next Christmas, in the gutter on the garage roof!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Satisfying wheel build on the kitchen table with my new Wheelpro book that advised I should put a drop of oil on each nipple.

Followed the instructions, built wheel, trued it and have it a spin in the jig feeling rather pleased with my accomplishment

Line of motor oil up the kitchen wall and right across the ceiling! Nice..

stevied
    Free Member

Great thread, putting a smile on my face after a tough day 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

I came home from work one day, and my neighbour popped over to say he just bought a new compressor.

‘Great! I need to pop on a ghetto tubeless tyre on my spare wheels’.

I was confident the tyre would go up first time, so popped in 100ml of lovely white Stan’s sealant, attached the compressor and away I went.

Got to about 50psi, and the compressor wouldn’t switch off; it just kept going and then……. BANG!

Latex went everywhere, and I had not changed out of my new work shirt and trousers.

To this day, I can only wear that shirt with a tank top as it looks like I took part in some dodgy car park session after dark.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Another friend on here .

Had a land rover – like mine

Wanted to change oil only had no filter spanner – next best thing – stab it with a screw driver ……

Stabbed it wouldnt turn – they were notorious for siezing to the casting.

– iill drive it to the garage —— no prizes for guessing how quick the sump emptied with a direct path …. May be wrong but i think the oil goes through the filter at 70 psi….

Think he got a short distance before engine siezed.

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘When home bike maintenance goes properly wrong’ is closed to new replies.