Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • When friction paste doesn't work
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

So I’d found my seat post was dropping a little over the course of a ride on my Lurcher, so I thought, no problem, I’ll buy some of that there paste and all will be well.

It wasn’t.

It was horrifically worse. A seat post that dropped in a way unperceivable apart from it being 1″ down after 30miles, was sliding around all over the place,spinning when I looked over my shoulder, dropping right down with slight bumbs. I added more paste. Still awful. Wiped all the paste off. Still awful. Swore at it, cried, threatened it. Still awful. Borrowed neighbours friction paste in case they forgot to put the friction in mine. Still aweful. I don’t understand.

Help me singletrackworld you’re my only hope.

Unk.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

sounds like something is wrong? QR., size.
    You could try a coke can shim.

tony07
    Free Member

Is your qr on the right way round? Seen people have the comps the wrong way round and not being able to clamp properly.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yes,but then I got doubt and span it round,then I took it off and cleaned under the clamp and put it back. Now buying another clamp,you know, in case…

z1ppy

Borrowed neighbours friction paste in case they forgot to put the friction in mine.

😀
    Was going to be my question (well more “is it proper friction paste”..)
    Surprising, worked massively well for me.

andyl
    Free Member

Borrowed neighbours friction paste

Could be an awkward moment when you pop round for some lubricant.

enfht
    Free Member

My Hope qr clamp did the same, tightened it so much it snapped on the end. Thomson replacement has been faultless.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh yes hope ones are rubbish. This isn’t a hope one. But will replace as next action.

plyphon
    Free Member

is the cam on the clamp greased?

andyl
    Free Member

what post?

Check the diameter of the post and seat tube as too much gap can lead to damage.

JoeG
    Free Member

As a last resort, get a double seatpost clamp

nikk
    Free Member

Make sure inside of frame is totally free of grease or oil. Use white spirit on a rag and a stick, then same with meths. Same on seatpost.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

You need one of these:

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=351

I had problems with the post slipping on my Pro6. Fitted one of the KCNC post grips no had no more problems. Well worth a fiver.

househusband

Same bike and had the same problem; Thomson clamp and a coke can shim stopped it slipping.

billytinkle
    Free Member

It’ll just be tolerances. Had a Thomson post in my whyte that simply wouldn’t stay put. Change of clamp made no difference. Change to a Truvativ post and all was well.

coatesy
    Free Member

Isn’t the Lurcher from the same company that had to have oversized posts manufactured to fit some of their frames a few years back? Maybe your frame is too big for your post.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve used Hylomar Blue non setting gasketting compound for an alloy post and it works a treat, amazing stuff. Not sure if it would lead to a firey death with carbon.

bencooper
    Free Member

Sometimes I’ve found some posts have a slippery hard anodising that means even a correctly-sized post with a good clamp can slip.

I use a knurling tool to roughen up the surface a bit, solves the problem.

scotroutes

As per househusband/coatesy – sounds like a baggy frame – in which case a long thin shim might be in order.

teethgrinder

Sand. Wet the post and seat tube, coat in sand.

Job done! Possibly.

brant
    Free Member

So I’d found my seat post was dropping a little over the course of a ride on my Lurcher, so I thought, no problem, I’ll buy some of that there paste and all will be well.
    It wasn’t.
    It was horrifically worse. A seat post that dropped in a way unperceivable apart from it being 1″ down after 30miles, was sliding around all over the place,spinning when I looked over my shoulder, dropping right down with slight bumbs. I added more paste. Still awful. Wiped all the paste off. Still awful. Swore at it, cried, threatened it. Still awful. Borrowed neighbours friction paste in case they forgot to put the friction in mine. Still aweful. I don’t understand.
    Help me singletrackworld you’re my only hope.
    Unk.

Mail me and we can get it in for a check over and look at replacing it ?

brant
    Free Member

coatesy – Member
    Isn’t the Lurcher from the same company that had to have oversized posts manufactured to fit some of their frames a few years back? Maybe your frame is too big for your post.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

I don’t remember that one.

khani
    Free Member

coatesy – Member
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Ragley did a 27.3 post a bit ago..

aracer
    Free Member

Try some ibuprofen gel

timbur
    Free Member

But ibuprofen reduces swelling doesn’t it??? Surely that would shrink the post :O)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have heard talcum powder works, with obvious risks, but if it needs a shim, try a bigger seatpost, or return the frame?

brant
    Free Member

Ragley did a 27.3 post a bit ago..

Yup. But wasn’t for Ragley frames. Those frames were a bit tight if anything.
    We just did it for a fun thing for people that had issues.
    Sold well!

timbur
    Free Member

People with “issues,” that need a bit more “girth?”

😈

unklehomered
    Free Member

Hi Brant

Thanks very much for the post and the offer.
    I have emailed you but I’m getting a delivery failure from gmail so I don’t think you have received. If you haven’t could you send me an email to the email in my profile.

Thanks

Johnny.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘When friction paste doesn't work’ is closed to new replies.