Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • When dogs attack…(Small rant)
  • jackoinmoss
    Free Member

I did one of the routes from this months magazine on Saturday and although I got a little lost a couple of times I managed to link the medium route up to the diggle jiggle.

Very good on the whole apart from being cornered by 2 collies bearing their teeth and to snappy little things with them up for some of this mountain biker action.

The farmer looked on up to the point when I started shouting at the dogs like a nutter and was ready to throw my bike at them. He then said I should kick said dogs and he could not understand how they had got out?

I mentioned this to a dog walker a little further down the trail who showed me where they had bitten her the day previous showing me a bite mark on her leg. It does not seem that rare they were out?

Wondering if kicking him to see if he would go away would be a better option?

Any dog trainers going to share there wisdom that would avoid animal cruelty?

Davesport

I’m an animal lover. However any dog with bared teeth or showing signs of aggression gets to feel what laceholes are like. No exceptions after numerous experiences of being bit.

£0.02

DezB
    Free Member

Kick the farmer

It could be a kid’s face next time.

(beat ya, phil!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singletrackmind

It could be a childs face next time !

Graham_Clark

Have a word with the police… they take these things seriously…
    I was bitten in a ‘highly planned pincer-like attack’ by two dogs who ran out of a farm a while ago… Lovely matching bite marks on both legs. The police went and ‘had words’ and recorded it. I had the option of how far I would like them to go – a word, or removing the dogs.
    Definately worth the trip to the police, esp. if the walker had been attacked before.

pastcaring
    Free Member

love dogs but….

get off the bike, keep bike between you and the dog, shout at it. if this doesn’t stop the dog and it’s still trying to bite you through the gaps in the frame kick/stamp it hard. dealing with more than one dog can be hard, but one will be the leader and will usually be the first one trying to get to you. if you stop this one the other will think twice.

a squirt in the face from a water bottle is also supposed to work, but i use a camel pack.

i would report it to the police, it’s the owners responsibility to keep his dogs under control and he clearly isn’t!

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

The walker seemed local (as most people in the area do) I wonder if there is an issue with not rocking the boat.

My simple solution is to take the bridleway before and cut out 200m or so of not so exciting riding.

I can’t help thinking this was the intention of the farmer. But there were a field full of horses behind the house so I would of thought it a good thing to ensure good equestrian access.

As for “children’s faces” that seems like of a bit Daily mail thing to say but I see your point.

Do you honestly think the police will care?
    Would the RSPCA be a better contact?

Graham_Clark

Certainly in my experience, the Police do care about potentially dangerous dogs, yes.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Feel like I should speak to the police now.

Off to google local police station.

Nobby

I was attacked by a doberman a couple of years back & yes the Police do take it very seriously. The whole “it could’ve been a child” thing may be a bit ‘Daily Mail’ but I didn’t want the chance of having that on my conscience. Turned out I wasn’t the first victim but nobody else had tracked it home before.

BTW, a CO2 pump squirted in the face of a snarling dog may calm them down and make them go away 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Report them ASAP.

The woman who was bitten should have also.

There is different rules depending on if it is private or public land but basically it could sadly end with them being put down – but if they attack people then that is the right thing to do.

EDIT: and yes, use your bike for self defence if needed.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Report it to the Police. If some one was bitten the previous day then the owner should know that they need to keep their dogs under better control.

A dog owner myself, I have kicked dogs out of the way when they have got any where near me. However if your not a dog owner, lover, it may be difficult to know agression from playful coming to say hello.

The Police will take it seriously. Our dog was attacked by another dog in a pub beer garden. Without provocation the dog just came over and bit ours. We reported it to the Police who said they couldnt do anything about a dog on dog attack but they did go round and warn the owner for letting an agressive dog go off the lead.

DezB
    Free Member

As for “children’s faces” that seems like of a bit Daily mail thing to say but I see your point.

No no no. Not the Daily Mail you foolish poster.

It’s a TOTALLY STW THING !

Del

another dog owner. +1 for report it.
    if my dogs bit anyone i’d be very surprised, but also mortified, and buying a muzzle immediately.

andyl
    Free Member

Should point out I am a dog owner too and yes if my dog ever attacked anyone I would be putting myself in there to protect anyone else, be mortified and getting the dog on a muzzle and if they wanted to kick my dog in self defence I would fully accept it as necessary.

If a dog does attack there is a reason though – either provocation, medical (eg severe pain or brain problem), abuse (from the owner) or behavioural (normally due to the owners/bad training). Always bare this in mind when going after the dogs head – it is normally not their fault.

float
    Free Member

this happend to me yesteday. owner wouldnt even hold onto it while i rode off 😕 . she walked off saying i shouldve just kept on going, silly cow 👿 leaving me to fend off this collie that was going nuts. i kept my bike between me and it and walked in the opposite direction to the owner. my thought was that the dog would choose to go home rather than eat me.

i was thinking what i wouldve done if it lunged at me. the best i could think off was just trying to get control of the head and choking it / punch the crap out of it.

Milkie
    Free Member

Would the RSPCA be a better contact?

Nope they are quite useless too! Get in contact with your local Dog Warden, a local vet can put you in contact.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘When dogs attack…(Small rant)’ is closed to new replies.