Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • when does winter start?
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

Not that I am complaining. The mild if damp weather is saving me a lot of money, due to not having to use central heating.
    Back in my twilight years it would be wall to wall snow or ice by now. So does winter start in March?

Not sure about foreign parts like Yorkshire and Wales

ferrals
    Free Member

In Wales the heating is off and the windows are open. Shame it’s like walking into a power shower if you go outside. Don’t think we’ve had a frost yet. Would like a nice winter high pressure for a while

gwaelod
    Free Member

In October and November the Daily Express and Daily mirror were claiming it was going to be coldest winter since the Ice Giamts lived in Chingford or something. I’ve not yet seen an article by their Head of Weather Alarmism Reporting explaining why the large discrepancy between their reportage and the actualite.

P-Jay
    Free Member

We had snow in South Wales 3 weeks ago, but it’s been in the teens all day today – very, very wet though.

By one of the various ways of telling the seasons, winter doesn’t start till the 22nd of December, but Winter in my book is Dec, Jan and Feb so were still early days.

vickypea
    Free Member

I was out mountain biking last night til 10:30 in shorts, and even though it was very wet, I was warm.
    Even more alarming are stories of daffodils in bloom 😮

scotroutes

Winter? That was Monday

Now it’s Spring

metalheart
    Free Member

Sunday: frost didn’t lift all day.
    Monday: 3-4cm of snow
    Thursday: 12 degs at 6.45 am.
    Eh?

simmy
    Free Member

16 degrees on the car temp last night at midnight. Crazy.

Think the reading was a bit high as the car was parked near houses but as I drove home, it didn’t drop lower than 12 degrees.

Putting the money saved on heating towards Coke and other things………

timber

Winter Solstice on Monday, Spring is very much on its way.
    Heating is just for drying out.

piemonster

It is darned warm.

However. Most of winter usually happens the following year! The SAIS blogs stopped in April this year. To be fair, they’ve just started again, albeit largely reporting on wet mild hillsides.

loddrik
    Free Member

Heating on here in liverpool due to wife. It’s on low and I’m bloody roasting.

I felt really smug a couple of months ago as I bought a Haglofs down parka, the thickest down jacket I’d ever seen, with the aim of laughing off cold winter days. Winter is laughing at me right now.

john_drummer
    Free Member

West Yorkshire 9pm 12C outside. Dry for a change too.

To be pedantic, Astronomically, winter starts on the winter solstice, 21st or 22nd December; meteorologically it starts on the 1st December

doordonot
    Free Member

The cynic in me says global warming is influencing this and don’t expect a change anytime soon. This isn’t just affecting the UK; you only need to read the ski and snowboard thread to find the diesel addicts whingeing about lack of snow in Canada. Weather scientists are saying the weather cycle, El Niño, has a strong influence at the moment, predicted to weaken around March 2016. By which time we’ll be readying ourselves for summer… But yeah, I’m looking forward to a bit of frost.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s utter shite at the minute! Site is a constant bog that is just tiresome to get round in, everything you pick up or touch is covered in shite. Looking forward to spending God knows how long today cleaning a 360 down before returning to the plant hire mob 👿
    Roll on some frost!

wrightyson
    Free Member

And the trails are shite!
    Roll on some frost again!

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Theres a really strong el nino this year so presumably, if the weather does ever go cold, there will be a lot of snow. If not I guess it just stays warm, which means loads of problems with pests next year.

We’ve only had one frost of note near Buxton and that is very odd.

olddog

Ridiculously warm in Leeds. Even southern softies at work aren’t wearing coats on nigts out

robware
    Free Member

My cherry blossom tree has got confused and bloomed. The birds are also very vocal.

I hope we do get a cold spell that brings lots of snow. I need some opportunity to feel smug on the fatbike.

ransos
    Free Member

We have potatoes growing in our garden – the ones I didn’t dig up in the summer – which normally appear around Easter.

northernerindevon

Daffodils out in full bloom in Cheddar – I had to double take on my ride! Mendips mud is out in force though. Singlespeed only for now…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just killed two mosquitos which where buzzing around last night and anniying me, its nearly Christmas ffs !

sirromj

Pearl Izumi gloves wet and covered mud. One of the Decathlon gloves gone walkies. One of the 661 summer gloves gone walkies. Thor gloves wet from wash.

Which left me with the Endura mighty mitt fingerless gloves for my commute this morning/afternoon. Cold hands? Nope.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘when does winter start?’ is closed to new replies.