Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • when did the rules change for speed awareness courses?
  • marcus7
    Free Member

yep guilty as charged… but i thought it was a two day course but its 4 hours apparently, can they really be that useful as a training session in that time?.

jam-bo

if it was two day course I’d have taken the points.

nealglover
    Free Member

can they really be that useful as a training session in that time?.

Take the points if you don’t think its long enough to be worthwhile 😉

br
    Free Member

Who said there was any ‘training’ involved?

Cougar

Has it ever been a two day course? News to me.

dudeofdoom

Youll feel like it was 2 days after enduring one though 🙂

IHN

It was four hours when ‘my friend’ did it.

Interestingly, ‘my friend’ noticed that when appying for a quote from Admiral, they asked if he’d ever attended a speed awareness course. My friend was told on his course that he wouldn’t have to declare it to any insurance company. He did a bit of Googling and apparently the Police aren’t very happy with Admiral doing this as it’s against the spirit of the initiative.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I did a 4 hour one about 8 years ago.

Worth its weight in gold. I passed my driving test 25 years ago. The driving test has changed out of all recognition in that time. It was a really good refresher and hazard awareness session.

jfletch
    Free Member

Interestingly, ‘my friend’ noticed that when appying for a quote from Admiral

When “my friend” did one the presenter definately didn’t give a list of the insurance companies that ask you this question and tell you to avoid them. Nope, never happened.

marcus7
    Free Member

The Mrs did one a few years ago and it was definitely 2 days for the same type of offence (fixed camera). I was just wondering what had changed. It was my mistake so i’m prepared to take a bit of time out and i’d rather not have the points to be honest. And yes training may be the wrong word, I was just wondering how much information could be conveyed in such a short time. On a lighter note I’ve just had a parking fine cancelled so I’m feeling chuffed to get at least one car related issue sorted!.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

1 day, nomally lasts a morning or afternoon (4hrs). Run by the AAin my area.

slowoldman

The Mrs did one a few years ago and it was definitely 2 days

Ha! She said.

trail_rat
    Free Member

IHN , admiral are a bunch of chunts anyway – would rather a pair of book ends fighting my corner in any future accidents where cars drive into the side of my car and ram it into a bus.

bails

Interestingly, ‘my friend’ noticed that when appying for a quote from Admiral, they asked if he’d ever attended a speed awareness course. My friend was told on his course that he wouldn’t have to declare it to any insurance company. He did a bit of Googling and apparently the Police aren’t very happy with Admiral doing this as it’s against the spirit of the initiative

You might not like it (if you’ve been caught speeding) but it’s a perfectly sensible question for an insurance company to ask.

Been caught speeding = points or a course.
    (IF) being caught speeding = a higher risk for the insurers then only asking “have you got points” is going to miss out some of the caught speeders and therefore miss some of the ‘knowable’ risk.
    I don’t know if they treat the course as worse than not being caught but better than just points due to the improved driving skillz or not though.

nemesis
    Free Member

I did one recently. I thought it was ok actually and covered a fair bit in 4 hours.

Insurance companies can ask whether you’ve been on a SAC. What they can’t do is tell you that you have to tell them before renewal if you’ve been on one – or more to the point, if you had an accident, they couldn’t withdraw your insurance because you hadn’t told them.

nedrapier

Funny thing about the insurance q – you don’t have to declare convictions after they’re spent, you wouldn’t have to declare a court appearance which didn’t result in a conviction, you don’t have to declare points once they’re cleared off your licence, so it would be a bit of an anomaly if you had to declare points avoided through a course.

Drac

The Mrs did one a few years ago and it was definitely 2 days

Was it residential?

mikemorini
    Free Member

I did one last month and was pleasantly surpised. Good instructors who didn’t lecture, but got everyone involved. The issue of insurance was raised and their suggestion was change insurers.
    Interestingly they said in ten years of doing these courses they’d only had two people who were adamant they’d done nothing wrong and there was no issue in speeding. They failed the course, so got the double wammy of course fee then fine and points.

nemesis
    Free Member

residential with benefits?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I did one a while ago, I was in the wrong and I knew I was in the wrong…

it was a am or pm course that you selected.

It staggered me how many people on the course had what appeared to be no understanding of the rules of the road, or the highway code….
    Like the am i going to get a visit from the police thread….

frankly 2/3 of the people on my course should have their licence revoked there and then, and made to re-train and test.

given i was aware of my speed and the rules, I probably shouldn’t have been allowed to take the course…

bails

It staggered me how many people on the course had what appeared to be no understanding of the rules of the road, or the highway code…

Yeah, I know someone (really, not me!) who went on one.

“What’s the national speed limit on a single carriageway road?” answers varied from 40mph to 85mph 😯

Someone else was moaning about being there and insisted she was only 2mph over the limit. Instructors said it must have been more or she wouldn’t have been there.
    “No, it was definitely only 2mph, it’s stupid, I shouldn’t be here!”
    “Well how fast were you going?”
    “38 in a 30”
    “So that’s 8mph too fast then”
    “No, because everyone knows you get 10% plus a few more, so that’s 3+3=6mph, and I was only doing 2mph above that”. FFS…

There were others but can’t remember them now.

Cougar

Worth its weight in gold. I passed my driving test 25 years ago. The driving test has changed out of all recognition in that time. It was a really good refresher and hazard awareness session.

Comments like this actually scare me a little, because

It staggered me how many people on the course had what appeared to be no understanding of the rules of the road, or the highway code….

… was my experience of it. As a driver I try to keep abreast of any major changes, that’s just the responsible thing to do. I know the Highway Code as well if not better now than when I passed my test. One young lad on the course I went on confessed that he knew what road signs were asked on the test so just learned those and hadn’t a clue about the rest. 😯

The test has changed over the years sure, and roads have got busier, but how to drive hasn’t fundamentally changed in the 20-odd years since I passed my test. They didn’t redefine what a red light means or suddenly make us go the other way round roundabouts one day.

Myself aside, on the course the only people who knew the speed limits were the younger drivers who’d passed more recently. And once the intellectual proletariat had come to a consensus, no-one really understood what a single / dual carriageway actually was.

Yet another call for mandatory re-tests really. Every ten years would be a good start.

Alex

4 hours. Wrote something (note contains sweary words) http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=3154, learned something, did change some habits. Was mildly terrified about how little ‘qualified’ motorists understand about driving hazards and road signs!

deadkenny
    Free Member

4 hours but spread over a day with lunch for me (bloody revenue trap on M4 after the Seven bridge. Costly BPW trip 👿 )

Actually did find it useful. Not in terms of the speed thing, but stuff about hazard awareness. Am quite aware of potential hazards, especially bikes around me, potentials pulling out from side junctions ahead etc, but still it did point out how I drop into an automatic mode when commuting.

Was a little annoying though when discussions lead to bikes though and all my fellow convicts went into a rant about cyclists.

Cougar

Yeah, we had one of those. She’d recently knocked a cyclist over and thought she was entertaining us all with this hilarious anecdote.

Drac

“No, because everyone knows you get 10% plus a few more, so that’s 3+3=6mph, and I was only doing 2mph above that”. FFS…

I’ve seen similar said on here about that.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

I’m not sure about it, at 87 quid and a day out of your life it’s a hefty punishment for 35 in a thirty, but I did learn a few things and I noticed the gorilla, then nearly spoiled it all with an argument about what they should advise drivers to do in circumstances when they’ve pulled out without noticing a bike motor or otherwise.

I haven’t exceeded the speed limit since and I’m still not sure why, i’m normally far more rebellious against driving authority, getting 500 miles + out of every tankful since as a welcome bonus may also have something to do with it.

PS you need to put down the blast shield against patronising bullshit and grit your teeth a bit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

“38 in a 30”

Had these from some in our group. Response from the cops running it is that was the amount recorded by the cops and cars read about 5mph over, so her speed would have been showing 43mph (for example).

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Response from the cops running it is that was the amount recorded by the cops and cars read about 5mph over, so her speed would have been showing 43mph (for example).

Pretty sure all my cars have shown under (comparing to multiple GPS sources), except for the Triumph Spitfire, which just gave an indication you were moving. Actual speeds indicated would vary wildly!

Drac

Response from the cops running it is that was the amount recorded by the cops and cars read about 5mph over,

Which of course is bollocks.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Someone who isn’t me went through a camera on the A1 at 80 the other week. They didn’t see a flash but have apparently been constantly doing the ‘10% + a few?’ sums in their head since it happened… I guess time will tell.

inbred853

Just did mine Sunday just gone, found it quite informative seeing as I passed my test @ 30 years ago. Thought I new my stuff, but rapidly came apparent that I’d forgotten a lot!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Correction, all mine were showing over (I blame being ill for reducing my mental capacity to that of a chubby crayon), so at an indicated 30, I’d likely be doing an actual 27

deadkenny
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Which of course is bollocks.

Usually reads over in most cars I’ve driven. Noticeable compared to speed warning signs that flash up your speed.

Though those can be wrong, but (based on my Civ)… http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Is_the_speedo_accurate%3F

nemesis
    Free Member

According to the guys on my course (both ex-Police as it goes), speedos don’t under read – at least nothing remotely modern – the manufacturers design them to typically over read to avoid that. That certainly matches my experience of every car I’ve driven.

The anti cyclist thing briefly occurred on my course too though it was quickly shut down when it was pointed out that riding two abreast was legal.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Under reading would be illegal.

Drac

Usually reads over in most cars I’ve driven. Noticeable compared to speed warning signs that flash up your speed.

Only by a about 1 or 2 mph in all the vehicles i’ve driven.

Spin
    Free Member

The average speed thingy on my transit reads 3 or 4 mph under the speedometer when I set the cruise control. I’m assuming that under those conditions the average is closer to the true road speed.

scuttler

4 hrs = tea and biscuits.

I’d be expecting dinner, bed and breakfast for two days.

bails

I think she was working off what the police had told her rather than what she thought her speedo said so the over/under argument doesn’t really apply (to that particular example).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘when did the rules change for speed awareness courses?’ is closed to new replies.