• This topic has 18 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • when did steep slopes become known as drops?
  • julians
    Free Member

I always though a drop was just that, a vertical step of varying height, but the way people speak these days, I think they're actually referring to short, steep slopes.

Why?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

So they can convince themselves they style it off drops?

dmiller
    Free Member

post fail. (For the record the forum strips spaces to ASCI art doesnt work).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

hahaha….cos their fat….

DaveRambo

I think it was when 'good fun' became RAD !!

rs
    Free Member

surely if you don't touch the steep slope on the way down its a drop, if you ride it with wheels on the ground and role down it, its a steep slope.

mlke
    Free Member

wasn't it when the generation appeared who hadn't served an apprenticeship on road bikes with dropped handle bars a.k.a. "drops"?

kimbers

since bikes got faster; with slacker angled and more/better suspension
    its more fun to fly off the top of a slope than just roll down it

jackthedog
    Free Member

Since they invented trail centres?

MrSmith
    Free Member

about the same time that 6inch sub 30lb £3k bikes became popular for middle management to ride 'mountains' on.

walleater

When I was a laaaaaad, steep slopes that you can get air off were 'fades'.

julians
    Free Member

I dont think its to do with 'airing' down a slope that could also be rolled.

To me a drop is anything that you have to have both wheels in the air in order to make it safely over without falling off.

Any form of slope that its possible to roll over is not a drop.

It just got me wondering if my defination of a drop was always wrong, and maybe I've been doing 20 foot drops without realising it for years. 😉

jonb
    Free Member

Drop necesitates wheels off the ground. If you can roll it then it is a steep slope.

jfeb
    Free Member

Drop necesitates wheels off the ground. If you can roll it then it is a steep slope.

+1

tiger_roach
    Free Member

But my mate can roll down slopes I feel it's safer to jump off – so his slope is my drop?

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

But my mate can roll down slopes I feel it's safer to jump off – so his slope is my drop?

I think you're talking about a 'slop' 😆

adstick
    Free Member

'Dropping' is when your wheels come off the ground, a 'drop' is something you can only do by leaving the ground. So you can drop down a steep slope, but a steep slope isn't a drop. A fade has less gradient. That's what I reckon anyway…

Probably around the same time that MTB'ing anywhere other than Lincolnshire became 'all mountain'.

jedi

jonb +1 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘when did steep slopes become known as drops?’ is closed to new replies.