Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • When did it become acceptable to leave your rubbish behind?
  • lazybike
    Free Member

On the other hand it keeps people in work

Thats come up a few times, which maybe explains peoples mindset, they really believe its their civil duty.. 🙂 I’m going to speed too work later, looking forward to the officer thanking me for giving him some work.. 🙂

mt
    Free Member

Poor parenting of kids who become poor parents themselves. It applies to lots of things, there are so many people without any respect for their surroundings.
    Can’t see it’s because people are thick, it just seems that we are unable to get any sort of environmental (locally or world) awareness across to some.
    Still the earth will be a lovely place once humans have all gone, pity about the damage we are doing on the way though.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I live near the canal and morons feeding the ducks boils my p155, saw a guy with five carrier bags filled with loaves of bread happily chucking handfuls in at a time, no f***** ducks to be seen. I’d bet my left testicle he didn’t take his bags home.
    These people are good old fashioned thick as pig shit.

Drac

I blame Petunia.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlJFlLkgK0[/video]

Drac

I blame Petunia.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlJFlLkgK0[/video]

mudshark
    Free Member

As a teen I worked in McDonald’s mostly looking after the eating area. The expectation is that people throw away their own rubbish and we’d wipe the tables. Throwing the rubbish is a pretty easy thing to do but so many didn’t.

I wonder if it’s something to do with peoples’ perception of respect – some think it’s beneath them? Seems to me there’s a pretty strong correlation between how well off you are and how likely you are to deal with your litter – for some reason the worse off are more likely to think it’s beneath them, the better off not.

I used to live near Hammersmith and the litter on the main shopping street there at the end of the day was often unbelievable – a lot of council estates around there.

13thfloormonk

Edinburgh’s inverleith park is truly horrible after a sunny weekend.

The littering between Inverleith and Granton is taking on some fairly epic proportions, think it’s bordering on fly tipping in some instances but in others it just seems to be people leaving random black bags of household garbage lying around.

The cyclepath from Granton up to Broughton Road is even worse, some of it is genuinely inexplicable, to the point where you wonder if people are actually doing it deliberately in some way, as if they bear the outdoors some sort of grudge 😕

We hiked the West Coast Trail in Canada last year which was advertised as being a tough, committed trek for serious hikers only who were required to pay for permits months in advance and also arrange/pay for some fairly convoluted transport logistics to get there and back. You would think that might weed out the lazy/ill educated/feckless littering types. You would be wrong 🙁

binners

It absolutely boils my piss!

I think littering makes a statement. The statement is ‘I don’t give a flying **** about the rest of society!’. It just demonstrates an utter contempt for everyone else other than yourself.

We were in Hebden over the weekend. Saturday afternoon, the standard bunch of scrotes were sat in the park drinking wifebeater and generally being obnoxious. When I walked past the same spot on Sunday morning, the whole area was littered with empty beer cans, take-away packaging, fag packets. 6ft to each side of where they were sat there were bins. Apparently walking 6ft to put sometime in a bin is waaaaaay too much trouble.

My solution to this is simple. If you’re quite happy to sit surrounded by your own detritus, then you surely wouldn’t mind living surrounded by everyone else either. So, as punishment we should take this to its logical conclusion. Just fence off a landfill site, and throw the lot of them in there, where they’ll obviously be quite happy, and carry on dumping….

When I’m running the world comrades……

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s something to do with peoples’ perception of respect – some think it’s beneath them? Seems to me there’s a pretty strong correlation between how well off you are and how likely you are to deal with your litter – for some reason the worse off are more likely to think it’s beneath them, the better off not.

I’m failing to see the link. If you’re loaded you tend not to drop litter?

neilthewheel

Drive through (or “thru”) fast food joints encourage eating and drinking in cars. But people can’t have rubbish in their cars can they? So it all goes out of the windows. These outlets should be made to install number plate recognition systems linked to bar codes on the packaging. A few £100 fines through the post might make people think twice about how they dispose of their garbage.

lazybike
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s something to do with peoples’ perception of respect – some think it’s beneath them?

I think there’s some truth in that.

for some reason the worse off are more likely to think it’s beneath them, the better off not.

Not sure its economic though, people just don’t seem to be invested in their surroundings, they’re somehow seperate from them..

GrahamS

As a teen I worked in McDonald’s mostly looking after the eating area. The expectation is that people throw away their own rubbish and we’d wipe the tables. …

I wonder if it’s something to do with peoples’ perception of respect – some think it’s beneath them?

In most restaurants the waiter/server clears the table – so perhaps the problem in that particular instance is that some people mistake McDonalds for a restaurant? 😀

andyl
    Free Member

Drive through (or “thru”) fast food joints encourage eating and drinking in cars. But people can’t have rubbish in their cars can they? So it all goes out of the windows. These outlets should be made to install number plate recognition systems linked to bar codes on the packaging. A few £100 fines through the post might make people think twice about how they dispose of their garbage.

Didn’t we discuss this kind of thing a while back? Some form of ID printed onto packaging to unique code or something and linked to your payment card?

lazybike
    Free Member

Not sure punishing people into doing the “right” thing works, then you get into who decides what’s “right”..it just struck me when I was leaving the cinema, that I was very much in the minority when it came to taking my rubbish out, and it made me wonder why.

pondo

There’s a primary school just up the road from us, and the amount of sweet, crisp and drink detritus that gets blown into our drive does my head in. I’ve given some thought to putting a bin on our front wall.

globalti
    Free Member

There are some cyclists who drop litter – when we went to one of the trail centres in Wales we were disgusted at all the plastic drinks bottles thrown down by the trail for the first mile out of the trail centre.

lemonysam
    Free Member

There are some cyclists who drop litter – when we went to one of the trail centres in Wales we were disgusted at all the plastic drinks bottles thrown down by the trail for the first mile out of the trail centre.

I’ve picked up about a dozen inner tubes on my commute over the past year.

globalti
    Free Member

We hiked the West Coast Trail in Canada last year which was advertised as being a tough, committed trek for serious hikers only who were required to pay for permits months in advance and also arrange/pay for some fairly convoluted transport logistics to get there and back. You would think that might weed out the lazy/ill educated/feckless littering types. You would be wrong

We walked the WCT in about 1990 and I don’t remember seeing litter, so I can only thnk that littering is due to the increase in the amount of crap that people buy in shops and takeaways and lack of education of younger people.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well if you come from a better off background. I live in a Surrey village and don’t notice litter here – or in my parents’ Shropshire town. Maybe it’s a city thing? Do state schools make a big deal about litter?

13thfloormonk

Some interesting articles if you search ‘psychology of littering’

[/url]

I’d like to think that the ‘no litter begets no litter’ theory held water, but it seems like it would only vindicate those who think ‘someone else will do it’.

13thfloormonk

We walked the WCT in about 1990 and I don’t remember seeing litter, so I can only thnk that littering is due to the increase in the amount of crap that people buy in shops and takeaways and lack of education of younger people

Or, to undermine my own point to a degree, just due to an increase in popularity, I think despite the alleged toughness of the hike there’s still a huge number of people doing it today as opposed to in 1990! (for what it’s worth I wish I could have done it 25 years ago too, thankfully I got to do the NCT two weeks prior which for the first three days at least was more rugged and less trashy, until you reached the beaches that were within hiking distance of a car park anyway… 🙄 )

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Selfishness and dont give a shit about anyone else is why people do it.

^^ this

People tend to do this too often, it’s like second nature leaving coffee cups, beer cans, newspapers etc on the train.. my wife politely tells them ‘excuse me I think you left something behind – to which the more civil one’s pick up their crap and take it with them or she just gets a look of contempt’

On the other hand I have seen some of young kids walking towards the bus stop on a windswept morning picking up blown trash and depositing it in the bin. Perhaps there is hope left or just good civic sense taught in school and at home.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Poor parenting of kids who become poor parents themselves. It applies to lots of things, there are so many people without any respect for their surroundings.

Walking up Ben Nevis last year we were sat just above the trail about 1/3 of the way up eating some lunch and watched a dad with three young kids (5-9ish) explain to them how they had to put their rubbish in a bag and hide it so that it couldn’t be seen.

Very nearly went postal on him. And made a point of taking an empty bag and and walking ahead of them picking up rubbish off the trail as we went.

It’s generaly true.

The exception being shotgun cartriges for some reason. I hypothesise that it’s a cost of being there Vs disposable income.

McDonalds for poor people, is an expensive treat, therfore more likely to litter as they feel they’ve paid for the privelage and are above the hoi-poloi cleaning up.
    McDonalds Pret for rich people, is cheap, therefore they feel that they got value for money from the food and the cost therefore didn’t cover clearing up.
    Phesant Shoot, at £1000 a ticket for some meat full of shot at the end you’re back to thinking that someone really should be cleaning up after you for that expense.

Similar concept might explain MTB’ers. They pay to play at a trail center or enter a race, so they’re thinking the organisers are beneath them and should do the tidying up.

DrJ

From observation on the That London Subterranean Hell-mobile, I can say that people are filthy scum. What was a bit of a surprise was to realise that it’s not just the usual horrible yobs that leave litter behind, but people of all economic groups, sexes and cultures.

wrightyson
    Free Member

After seeing how much it’s going to cost me to take the tribe to the new avengers movie I’m considering taking a load of rubbish in with me to leave there as it’s slightly cheaper than a skip!

GrahamS

The exception being shotgun cartriges for some reason

Well I can understand them not picking them up at the time as presumably they are concentrating on shooting stuff, plus the freshly fired cartridges might be kinda hot.

But yeah, they should still get picked up.

lazybike
    Free Member

After seeing how much it’s going to cost me to take the tribe to the new avengers movie I’m considering taking a load of rubbish in with me to leave there as it’s slightly cheaper than a skip!

😀 I feel your pain…

lazybike
    Free Member

Some interesting articles if you search ‘psychology of littering’

Thanks for that…funny that they called it movie theatre syndrome, I guess the Ghandi quote of ” be the change you wish to see in the world” applies.

mudshark
    Free Member

People do get fined for littering I think?

Maybe just get a team each evening from litterers caught that day to clean up the littered area – too costly?

brassneck

The exception being shotgun cartriges for some reason
    Well I can understand them not picking them up at the time as presumably they are concentrating on shooting stuff, plus the freshly fired cartridges might be kinda hot.

But yeah, they should still get picked up.

Much as I find shooting distasteful, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a big pile of cases that would be produced by a shoot – I think the keepers are well aware it’s not a good thing to do and tidy up after themselves and their clients.

The odd one or two thoug from vermin shooters, probably explained by the heat. Although I’m not convinced thats an excuse either.

Loads of McD / KFC bags on the trails near me. Nearest of said ‘restaurants’ is about 8 miles. So people drive somewhere pretty, eat their slop, then through the rubbish out all over said pretty spot because it ‘mucks their car up’. There is no reasoning with that mindset.

Equally baffling – a byway near me, reasonably tricky ride up an over a hill, rutted with low overhanging branches. Halfway up – a fridge thrown into the side. There is no way that could be easier than taking it to the tip, but still in someones mind it was.

hooli

The cinema I can sort of understand (even if I wouldn’t do it myself), they charge way too much and don’t put bins in the cinema so it is unlikely that people will carry rubbish out into the hallway to queue up at the small bin to throw stuff away. IMO, they are not helping themselves…

The one I don’t understand is people who walk to somewhere scenic and then litter. Do they not understand that it is scenic because it is not full of stella cans?

chip
    Free Member

I don’t think people think about littering at all when they do it,
    Rather it’s an automatic response when they finish what ever it is, and one hand is on its way to dropping the litter while the other is on its way to depositing the last piece of whatever it is into their mouth.

I grew up on a council estate were there was a place we used to meet and smoke drugs and at some point some or all of us would go on a munchies run.
    One day at the age of 14 or 15 despite being sat practically next to a bin I threw my litter on the floor, when a school freind who did not live there said “do you want to live in a shit hole” and I looked at him not understanding what he meant.
    He then added you have to live here, so why would you throw your rubbish on the floor unless you wanted to live in a shit hole.

Until that day I had never given litter or littering a thought but have never dropped any since.
    Where I live now some local kids (live three doors down) were sat on a wall out side my house surrounded by their litter and I gave them the same speech, and they did not do it again.

Once at work while fitting a cornice to some kitchen cupboards the customers teenage son came in and made something to eat. When he walked away the micro wave door was left open with the light on, the bread was left out and open surrounded by crumbs, the butter, dirty butter knife and what ever he had heated up spilt on the work top and floor.
    Five minutes later he returned with his dirty plate and cutlery which did not even make it to the sink but rather left in the middle of the work top.

As he walked away I asked who is going to clear that up?
    And his stunned silence led me to beleive that untill I had asked him it was not something he had given a moments thought.
    But when I explained his mess was in my way he apologised and cleaned it up.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I live near the canal and morons feeding the ducks boils my p155, saw a guy with five carrier bags filled with loaves of bread happily chucking handfuls in at a time, no f***** ducks to be seen. I’d bet my left testicle he didn’t take his bags home.
    These people are good old fashioned thick as pig shit.

Bread is bad for ducks anyway so double fail there.

I often wander about the play park when the wee one is out, sadly it’s usually down to the bins being overflowing and nobody bothering to enmpty them. I did walk home with two sections of exhaust with the cats still on one day though (lying on a bush) so it evens out somewhere.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im on a FB Group which loosely discusses local heritage past and present. Now you’d expect most of the membership to be probably mid to late 30s anf upward and therefore mature intelligent adults.
    Someone had suggested that if we each spend 15 minutes A WEEK picking up rubbish etc then the world would be a much nicer place to inhabit.
    Mostly positive responses, however one was to suggest that people are employed to do do such things for us and therefore we would be doing someone out of a job. Someone else basically said he didnt believe it was his job to sort other peoples failings and that his principles would not permit him to do otherwise.
    Neither poster would let themselves be swayed from their viewpoint, which suggests that whilst littering is the problem, the issue is people attitudes.
    I’ve taken kids to task before now about dropping rubbish and got a mouthful of abuse, so to avoid being charged with assault on a minor I don’t try and correct their behavior now.

neilthewheel

I’d be interested to know where people who espouse the view that littering is creating jobs imagine the money comes from to pay the wages of the litter-pickers.
    Anyway, unless you make a specific complaint the roadside litter here never gets cleared up.

mudshark
    Free Member

Someone else’s taxes?

El-bent
    Free Member

I blame Thatcher’s crowd and bad parenting.

And we have a winner! Well, almost. I seem to remember that there have always been folk that dropped their crap everywhere, but it has got worse in the last thirty years or so.

Its funny how little things such as dropping litter and P*ss poor driving attitudes reflect the change of attitude in society. Its the “I Can’t be wrong” generation.

I suppose the government could do more to get the message across that these sort of things aren’t done, like they have in the past, but that would be viewed as too Nanny State by right wing lunatics.

Well, we get the “society” we deserve.

Bunnyhop

The very sight of someone dropping litter and I become incandescent with rage. Because I feel so strongly about I do ask people to pick up and put it in the bin (which is most cases is just a few paces away).

A few summers ago, I wrote to the head of our local primary school and expressed my dislike of her pupils spilling out at 3.30 everyday and leaving a trail of rubbish that eventually blows up my road. In the letter I mentioned how we lived in a beautiful place where tourists come to visit, where there was a huge population of rats, how it was unsociable behavior. In not one sentence did I blame the children, imo it’s the parents fault. In fact many cases it’s the parents themselves I’ve seen throwing down the litter.

The headteacher was amazing. She sent out a letter to each child’s household and since then there has been a huge reduction.

Although I am well aware of the consequences I still ask people who I see drop litter to pick it up and put it in a bit. Always I get a foul mouthful, surely if all of us that cared did this things would be better.

slowoldman

Bill Bryson once commented that when he visited Liverpool on one occasion they seemed to be holding a Festival of Litter in his honour.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Just ban McDonalds, in fact all shitty fast food places. It accounts for about 90% of litter out our way (Malvern Hills).

There is definitely a relationship between the good weather and the amount of fast-food rubbish left by scumbags who’ve driven out to the countryside for the day.

Saying that I’ve also found tubes and c02 canisters on the hills…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘When did it become acceptable to leave your rubbish behind?’ is closed to new replies.