Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • When did Easyjet change their T&C's?
  • toys19
    Free Member

yes 32 kgs, my dh bike is about 18kgs, the bag is about 7 kgs, so I have 7 kgs of hold and 10 kgs overhead..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Plenty. 17 kgs of non bike luggage?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Logic would say put the heavy bike bits in the hand luggage as there’s no weight limit. How do you think I’d get on with my pedals, chain and cassette in my hand luggage then?

toys19
    Free Member

yeah body armour, full face, tools, spares..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can I have my park pedal spanner in the hand luggage please Mr Easyjet?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The bike bag (essential under the new T&Cs) weighs in at a further 9kgs

A cardbox box coated in PVA will save you a few kilos, and quite a lot of cash compared to a bike bag or polycarbonate case.

also – if you box is all taped up, they’re unlikely to open it at check in, so long as it’s under 32ejkg* (*About 30kg).

I’ve had 18kg in my hand luggage before now.

But I’m driving this year – the price increases alone were enough to ruin flying for this year.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think they may get upset having a weapon such as a chain close to hand or even a pedal spanner

Northwind

Just looked on wayback engine and they don’t have any recent backups to compare… Anyone actually know when the change occurred? Also anyone got a full copy of the old version?

crotchrocket – Member

If the bike bag weighs in at 9kg then they are effectively charging you for a Bike Allowance for a bike that can weigh a maximum of 3kg.

And of course the only reason you need such a heavy bike bag is that they can’t be trusted with your bike, so you have to armour it up like it’s made of glass.

I’m pretty sure I can pack down to 32kg but I really don’t want to have to… And that’s for a trailbike holiday, downhill with all the assorted kit would be a problem I reckon.

jota180
    Free Member

Also anyone got a full copy of the old version?

I posted a link to it earlier in the thread, they haven’t changed it yet for staff travel

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m just hoping its a recent alteration as I’m sure they can’t alter the conditions without informing you ( not aware f that) and if we paid under the old terms then surely that frms the basis of the contract.? Any way of telling when they changed?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

A cardbox box coated in PVA will save you a few kilos, and quite a lot of cash compared to a bike bag or polycarbonate case.

Ideal!! – except they specify your bike “must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag”

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Ideal!! – except they specify your bike “must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag”

A cardboard box, with a bike in it, is as I understand it, a bicycle box.

You can write “bike” on it if it makes you feel better.

Northwind

jota- cheers, I actually looked at your link but missed the key part, apparently I’m a dunce!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Shame, as a few years back, I printed the t&c, highlighted the appropriate bits, laminated it and put it in my bike bag.

Bit of a waste now.

saxabar
    Free Member

Riiight then – I’ve just got off the phone with Easyjet and the lady was adamant that it is still 32kg max for the bike bag plus 18kg for another bag booked into the hold. She’s putting this into an email for me and also making a note on my record that I’ve phoned and queried this.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

keep hold of that saxabar – looks like a few of us might be needing it 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Off the phone? Where did you find a number they would answer?

tpbiker
    Free Member

So hang about.

I’ve paid for 1 bike and 1 hold bag at 20k weight.

I assumed that meant I could bring a bike up to 32k, and a big holdall with all my gear (weighing up to 20k)

Am I misreading this, because if I’ve not then we’re screwed. 4 of us flying out next week…

Even worse…I sent all my stuff out on wednesday in my mates car, so I won’t be able to bring it home!

redwoods
    Free Member

Yet the same statement about bicycles found through the FAQ on their website and updated in April this year has the magic line about ‘The bicycles are exempt from additional excess baggage charges.

saxabar
    Free Member

Good find. Here’s the number anyhow: 0843 104 5000.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Great find Redwoods, I just clicked the link, read the magic line and selected “yes” to he “was this answer helpful?”

redwoods
    Free Member

I’d actually tweeted Easyjet asking if they’d recently changed their T&Cs regarding bikes and they replied with ‘here’s the information about taking bikes on board’ and added that link.

They do seem to like to make it ambiguous and confusing don’t they.

sledder
    Free Member

So wait are we saying it’s ok now? I’m booked on an easyjet flight this summer (I usually drive but have been roped into flying) – I’ve booked a hold bag and a bike bag, there’s no way I will be able to hit 32KG total, my bike and bike bag probably weigh that alone…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which we are now saying is fine like it used to be. Bike bag up to 32kg. Kit bag up to 20kg but total less than 50kg.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which is actually just how it used to be.

saxabar
    Free Member

sledder – I’m taking a screen grab of that linked-to page so there’s no chance of ambiguity at the desk, but yes, panic over.

toons
    Free Member

Thank **** for that and breathe!

large418
    Free Member

Been following this post as I booked my flights in March for an August trip, and once again, the power of STW has triumphed!

Until I get to the checkin desk and get stung, then I’ll be cursing!

flamingm0
    Free Member

Good find in the FAQ, though I would imagine if it came to it the T&C’s would be authorative but certainly room to wriggle. For what it’s worth, four of us flew out Gatwick on June 2nd, three of us got through ok with shy of 30kg for the bike and 20kg for the suitcase, but one of us got stung £150 when he attracted scrutiny by exceeding the hold limit of 50kg combined. Based on what he was charged for excess weight, we all should have been over. Coming back through Nice was fine (all under 50 total). It is ambiguous and seems arbitrary what they might decide to do. Be sure to stay under 50 total hold limit and under 32 single item limit for a fighting chance I’d say. We booked a while back in Jan and unsure when the T&C’s changed.

joeegg
    Free Member

This seems really confusing.
    I’m flying with Easyjet in a couple of weeks time to Geneva.

Booked a bike and bag into the hold.Looking at the website the total weight is now limited to 32kg for both bags,with 10kg limit for the hand luggage,making 42kg in total.

As i booked some months ago does the new limit apply ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

It all comes down to “Bicycles” statement in their terms and conditions. To make it confusion, the T&C link to a page where there is no mention of the weight of the bike, therefore, it looks like 32kg is to total weight of all hold luggage.

However, Redwoods found a current “Bicycles” statement on Easyjets FAQ section which has the old wording which states that bikes are not subject to excess baggage fees. In practice, this means the bike bag is limited by manual handling rules to 32kg and your total is limited to 50kg.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

saxabar
    Free Member

It looks like this is all cleared up now, but here’s the email I’ve just received 🙂

18th June 2012

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your call.

I am writing to confirm that your hold luggage can weigh up to 20kg and your bicycle can weigh up to 32kg. The weight allowance for both items combined must not exceed 50kg.

You will not be charged for excess weight when carrying a bike. I have included a link to the rules and regulations regarding the carriage of bicycles:

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4040/kw/bicycles

I hope this information has been useful.

Yours sincerely

– Sinead Colgan –
    easyJet Customer Services

toys19
    Free Member

yay! saxabar for pope!

Onzadog
    Free Member

“ahem” and on behalf of redwoods, “ahem”

toys19
    Free Member

Sorry and yes props to all of you who took the effort to sort this out (although I am not the arbiter of positive comments) . Feel the love STW!

FuzzyWuzzy

good find with that FAQ link

MS
    Free Member

Just back from a trip to the alps. Flew out of Edinburgh airport where they were very strict about it! Made one of the guys take out 200g of his bike box as it was 32.2KG!

Used to have no problem whatsoever!

wrecker
    Free Member

Funnily, I just had a mail saying the opposite. I mailed the link back to the CS lady though.

toys19
    Free Member

Funnily, I just had a mail saying the opposite. I mailed the link back to the CS lady though.

Show us the content?

wrecker
    Free Member

18th June 2012

Dear Wrecker,

Thank you for contacting us.

I can confirm that if you bring your bicycle with you this will incur a sports equipment fee of £25 if pre-booked or £30 at the airport. I can confirm that the hold baggage and sports equipment have a combined allowance of 32kg

To find out more in regards to carrying a bicycle, please visit:

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4040/kw/bicycle

Kind regards

– Jasmine Graham –
    easyJet Customer Services

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘When did Easyjet change their T&C's?’ is closed to new replies.