Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 258 total)
  • When consensus becomes impossible to ignore?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Let’s just suppose that there is a specific issue that it is verboten to mention on a specific Internet forum. Now the people who run the forum are entirely honest about why you can’t mention it. They are in a difficult position. They probably don’t like it any more than the users, but they have to enforce the rules.

Now, the users (for the most part) don’t mind too much about the issue itself, or the ban on mentioning it. But the issue itself becomes so intrusively irritating that loads of threads are started about it and ill feeling, thread closures and (no doubt) some ‘forum holidays’ are granted as a result.

Personally if I were in charge of the forum, I would see numerous, previously well behaved, forum users mentioning the unmentionable as a sign that the ‘issue’ is becoming more problematic.

Hypothetically. Of course.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is this about he who should not be named?

Pook

TJ is not coming back. Get over it.

metalheart
    Free Member

I have nothing useful to contribute.

Drac

Let’s imagine on this forum that there was one guy on his day off trying to get to the bottom of this issue, whilst also trying to promote their product at a show. Would it be reasonable to expect that it may take time to get to the bottom of this issue, even more so when the culprits of the said issue weren’t doing as they asked.

Now, the users (for the most part) don’t mind too much about the issue itself

Can’t be here then.

bearnecessities

We’re talking about what colour to paint my gazebo, aren’t we?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We’re talking about what colour to paint my gazebo, aren’t we?

That HAS to be a euphemism, shirley!

CountZero

Drac – Moderator
    Let’s imagine on this forum that there was one guy on his day off trying to get to the bottom of this issue, whilst also trying to promote their product at a show. Would it be reasonable to expect that it may take time to get to the bottom of this issue, even more so when the culprits of the said issue weren’t doing as they asked.

Now, the users (for the most part) don’t mind too much about the issue itself
    Can’t be here then.
    Good point, well made. 😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

Sorry but the bags really are good and yes your S types knackered… 😆

maccruiskeen

Would it be reasonable to expect that it may take time to get to the bottom of this issue

would it be reasonable to have a sticky about an issue that is in hand rather than having multiple threads being opened and closed

Suggsey
    Free Member

Or is this a blue squared attachment thread 😆

bearnecessities

Quite. I’d be in favour of a sticky issue.

Drac

would it be reasonable to have a sticky about an issue that is in hand rather than having multiple threads being opened and closed

Fair suggestion.

piemonster

I feel the need to post on this thread

piemonster

And bear

Pink

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quite. I’d be in favour of a sticky issue.

Now that HAS to be, etc….

dannyh
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Fair suggestion.

POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

That’s a sensible suggestion. Can it please be made or happen so that everyone can appreciate the issues in hand?

I didn’t want to be militant, but this hypothetical issue has been getting on my virtual tits a bit.

Drac

That’s a sensible suggestion. Can it please be made or happen so that everyone can appreciate the issues in hand?

I can’t say it will but I can discuss it with the other mods, we don’t make a habit of stickies.

maccruiskeen

getting on my virtual tits a bit.

Sticky pics of your virtual tits or they didn’t happen

we don’t make a habit of stickies.

You don’t make a habit of rogue intrusive ads either – but they seem more frequent that they are are because you don’t communicate known issues clearly to the whole forum user base rather than just the frequent thread-clickers

Drac

You don’t make a habit of rogue intrusive ads either – but they seem more frequent that they are are because you don’t communicate known issues clearly to the whole forum user base rather than just the frequent thread-clickers

WOW!

dannyh
    Free Member

Sticky pics of your virtual tits

Finbarr Saunders has just retired in high dudgeon. 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

Oh, and thanks to Drac.

On serious note, I don’t think most sensible folk have a problem if they are engaged and reasoned with. They may not like it, but if they are given a fair hearing and an explanation then they can at least make up their minds to compromise or flounce.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’ll have the salmon.

Drac

On serious note, I don’t think most sensible folk have a problem if they are engaged and reasoned with. They may not like it, but if they are given a fair hearing and an explanation then they can at least make up their minds to compromise or flounce.

I agree. I’ve asked about the sticky suggestion and communicated on here why it may not happen, appears for some that wasn’t good enough.

bearnecessities

I sent an email to ask to stop my mag-subscription auto renewal a few days ago, because I originally subscribed to support the forum as someone that has used it plenty for information, yet now it’s just too much of a PITA with being logged out every few minutes from mobile and the fact work computer can’t even load the page.

A sticky would give me some faith that something is being done to provide a balance, rather than threads just being closed, or nuked.

jekkyl

Where are these pics of sticky tits then?

Drac

A sticky would give me some faith that something is being done to provide a balance, rather than threads just being closed, or nuked.

They’re is usually a link to the thread that has the answers in, we close the threads to try and narrow them down to the on as a point of communication. But yes I do agree as clear answer as a sticky may help. However, half of the issue is that Mark is also being told that something is being done, hence his replies, but this isn’t always happening as he planned.

Mark is at the bike show this weekend so he is only checking here and his emails occasionally so that is slowing the soloution too.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I think it’s a shame that we are not allowed to mention an alternative solution to the unmentionable problem. After all, surely lots of people have discovered and indeed use it?

Drac

Where are these pics of sticky tits then?

A compromise.

think it’s a shame that we are not allowed to mention an alternative solution to the unmentionable problem. After all, surely lots of people have discovered and indeed use it?

We don’t deny that but we don’t want them promoted on the forum as it’ll reduce the income from ads even more which would result in them looking at alternatives way to pay for the forum. The most likely would be subscription only which is not what they want.

dannyh
    Free Member

They’re is usually a link to the thread that has the answers in, we close the threads to try and narrow them down to the on as a point of communication. But yes I do agree as clear answer as a sticky may help. However, half of the issue is that Mark is also being told that something is being done, hence his replies, but this isn’t always happening as he planned.

Mark is at the bike show this weekend so he is only checking here and his emails occasionally so that is slowing the soloution too.

Fair enough. You lot probably have lives to lead outside of playing dinner lady to the kids playground that is often STW.

If someone was to put it in stark terms, then I’d feel I could make an informed choice. Something along the lines of “if we totally removed the <ahem> from the site your subs would have to go up to £x per year, or if we removed the more intrusive <ahem>, it would be £y.

I may be too much of a simpleton for this, but I don’t think I’m unreasonable. Except when it comes to classic English bitter marketing itself as pale ale. Or wheel size. Or access rights…………..

slowoldman

Sticky Tits? I’m guessing this is to do with that Valentine’s Day thread then. Am I right?

Drac

If someone was to put it in stark terms, then I’d feel I could make an informed choice. Something along the lines of “if we totally removed the <ahem> from the site your subs would have to go up to £x per year, or if we removed the more intrusive <ahem>, it would be £y.

I may be too much of a simpleton for this, but I don’t think I’m unreasonable. Except when it comes to classic English bitter marketing itself as pale ale. Or wheel size. Or access rights…………..

Mark has done it previously so if I get the chance I’ll see if I can find a post.

Nah! You have a rubbish taste in beer. 😆

metalheart
    Free Member

We don’t deny that but we don’t want them promoted on the forum as it’ll reduce the income from ads even more which would result in them looking at alternatives way to pay for the forum.

Having fallen foul of this recently I’d have to say that it’s not a rule I’d quibble with as if the boot was on the other foot I’d do the same. It’s a fair cop (but society’s to blame….)

darrell
    Free Member

did someone mention gazebos

dannyh
    Free Member

Mark has done it previously so if I get the chance I’ll see if I can find a post.

That would be great.

Nah! You have a rubbish taste in beer.

Oh dear. I won’t be able to read it now. I have awarded you a two day holiday from having your replies read by me. The reason being “overstepping the mark and hurting a man in a gratuitous way”.

Touché.

bearnecessities

Come on, the site has been a joke for a while now.

I’m not trying to bash anyone, this is a great place with a lot of flack taken by people (Mods) that shouldn’t have to etc, but with the level of discontent that is being conveyed over the last few months, the angle of ‘we’re sorting this’ seems to be taken with the advertisers being the customer, rather than ‘us’.

It’s not my area of expertise, so that might be the case and from a profit POV possibly most sensible, just saying how it seems to me 😀

Drac

Come on, the site has been a joke for a while now.

Sigh! I’m explaining why there’s an added issue this weekend. He’s been trying to resolve it over the last week.

bearnecessities

Sigh, I’m talking 4 months or thereabouts, IME. 😀

Cougar

it’s just too much of a PITA with being logged out every few minutes

With respect, I get logged out maybe once a month, a little more if I change devices, so if you’re getting logged out “every few minutes” I’d hazard it’s a problem at your end.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 258 total)

The topic ‘When consensus becomes impossible to ignore?’ is closed to new replies.