Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • When are new forks previewed to the industry jounalists?
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

Just wondering what time of year the Sea Otter Classic and those other big 'do's' happens and we get the first look/hint from invited jounalists at the new stuff that will appear in the shops in due course.
    Just one of those idle thoughts I get sometimes, sort of combined with " will Rock shox change their range next year?…."
    … and will the Pike change???

Anyone with a crystal ball?
    Q

hora
    Free Member

Usually when they are discussing a full page ad in their magazine? (ducks)

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

You can create your own review by replicating the journalists own time honoured method. On a piece of paper, write down ten meaningless phrases such as " unneccessary diving in the mid stroke", "cautious compression damping", "ramping savagely" etc. Cut out , put them into a hat then pull out 6 of them and prefix with a positive or negative slant depending on the size of the account that the manufacturer has with the publisher.

hora
    Free Member

Dr Gonzo….or write reviews that neither slate or overly praise a product then stick a 'recommends' small icon next to the product.

That way your readers will never know if the forks are actually good or bad?

Sorry STW- thats how I read alot of the mag reviews. They come across as too polite.

Christowkid
    Free Member

ouch….sounds like I've touched a nerve here….
    So we are saying that the positivity of the review depends on the industry's size of backhanders. Phew. That's a direction I didn't think this was going!
    ( sits back and waits for more digs )
    Q

Mackem

The Sea Otter has just finished hasnt it?

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

In fairness I'm always struck by the mind boggling terminology in these reviews which bear no relevance to my practical experience of using the product. Once you've reviewed a few forks what else is there to say year on year ? Stories of backhanders etc are just invention in reality and little more than urban myth.

JoB
    Free Member

my crystal ball (aka google) tells me the Sea Otter is April 15-18 this year, so there will be some random pics of new bits around about then, at a guess

cynic-al
    Free Member

What about the trips and holidays journos get taken on?

Haven't read a review for years, they've been so poor.

hora
    Free Member

They could fit blackbox and still call them Pikes..

hora
    Free Member

Ready to shred the trails..

br
    Free Member

Its the same across all industries.

For 600cc motorcycles one of the manufactures realised a few years ago that if they continued to claim that this years' model was lighter than last years model they would be soon below the Supersport weight-limit…

Also weighed them with no fluid, minimum tread and pad depths and hotair-dried, sound like anything we know?

juan
    Free Member

Also weighed them with no fluid, minimum tread and pad depths and hotair-dried, sound like anything we know?

Yeap all motorbikes are now weighted like that… Shame

Christowkid
    Free Member

thanks Jo…..should have though of that. Duhhhh!
    As you hint, some things might filter out soon-ish.
    I suppose my original thoughts were along the line of – it seems last year the Rev's got an update/makeover, and all the recent reviews imply that Pikes are good, solid but a tad heavy.
    Basically – "I wonder if it's their turn this year…."
    and when we'd find out if that was the case.
    Just toying with the idea of going over to Pikes, so just thinking aloud a bit.
    cheers
    Q

hora
    Free Member

Yeap all motorbikes are now weighted like that… Shame

Thats utterly crackers (and a shame)

james-o
    Free Member

OE's tend to get the info first, back end of last year – there's nothing major from the fork brands next year, they may argue differently 😉 but i'd say it's more evolution than anything.

Why Pikes instead of the new Revs? Pikes are a bit better sealed and up to the really big stuff perhaps, but there aren't any Pikes in the 2011 range so buy them while you can.

Macavity
    Free Member
    Christowkid
    Free Member

James: Well, I've got '08 coil Rev's and wanted a coil + maxle fork, hence looking at the Pikes, Revs noe being air. There's currently a significant price difference between Pikes and Rev's and on top of maybe changing my frame, it'll be too much for my budget.
    So….Pikes will go. Anything to replace them as a coil fork?
    Any news on next years' Revs? i.e. back to a coil version? price hike/drop?

Macavity: Sorry didn't get your link. I've popped into Bikebiz but can't see anything about RS or Sram….

cheers
    Q

james-o
    Free Member

I'm not sure about retail rrp's, from OE rates i'd expect them to be similar to 2010 considering exchange rates but the options aren't all like for like. They look as good as ever, but i don't remember there being a coil option.

Current dual-air RS are very coil-like i think, i love the feel of coil forks but current Reba and Rev airs are what's on my bikes at the moment and i'm totally happy with the feel of them, you can set up the negative air for a really plush feel and they're more adaptable to suit different riders. reccommended.

james-o
    Free Member

just checked some specs – you'll appreciate i can't give out details without pssing off a good supplier, but if you wait a while (sea otter time i expect) you may see something you like. or just buy a Pike now since it's about the most reliable fork since the old Z1 and VFM is as good as you'll find.

Christowkid
    Free Member

James:
    thank you, and no I wouldn't expect you to disclose confidential stuff. Your information is very much appreciated, must now start thinking about decisions!
    thanks again
    Q

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'd rather someone who knows about forks reviewed them.

I almost bough a set fo 55's with the TST damper based on a thread on another forum detailing how to turn them into a better fork (i.e. strip, rebuild with shims).

Most magazine reviews just sound like a car park bounce test.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘When are new forks previewed to the industry jounalists?’ is closed to new replies.