Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • wheel/wheel building and cost advice pls
  • towzer

Hi

*background – luddite sticking on 26″ for XC use only

sadly have probably banjoed my hope xc hub front 26″(thank you Arran), so thinking of going wild and getting both hubs ‘rebuilt’ onto tubeless rims.

so after a rough idea of costs to get existing hubs laced to semi decent rims and who could do it (near Oxford/Reading/Basingstoke) or any mail order contacts (*ie is it worth it or would it be better to get a decent second hand pair)

(or if you know anybody selling hope xc hub wheels as well)

Thanks

Bez

Ideal opportunity to have a go yourself. It’s easier than it’s often made out to be.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not done any for a while but if you can get spokes at teh right price it is worth but its not liek it used to be.
    Years ago it was cheaper to build than buy now the difference is marginal but i still do it because I can.

jonathan
    Free Member

Costs at a good shop will be something like 30 quid per wheel, plus spokes (maybe 20-30 per wheel), then add on your two rims (2 x £50?)…. so probably somewhere around £200. Costs will be lower if you can reuse spokes, but that will depend on your rim choice.

Have you thought of doing it yourself?

Good guide here:
    http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

You fairly easily write off the cost of a wheel jig against the labour charges, plus you can drink beer whilst you do it and gain a life skill 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I started building my own to save money back in the day. Now, it’s only worth building your own for the satisfaction of it. Pretty sure my last wheelbuild cost more than the factory built equivalent.

Especially as new and used 26″ stuff seems to demand less of a premium now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I started building my own to save money back in the day. Now, it’s only worth building your own for the satisfaction of it. Pretty sure my last wheelbuild cost more than the factory built equivalent

Assuming you want one of the common wheel builds and want to use what ever pishy spokes they have used to keep weight down ….

Glupton bought a pro 3 on open pro wheel only to find they used sapim sprint spokes to keep weight down (sapim sprint spokes are basically just strong bits of plastic that stretch for fun! )

That and ime factory build wheels rarely come ready to ride. On the odd occasion ive bought one ive ended up backing it off and retensioning it evenly,

Give me a nice set of hand builts any day.

bruneep

Give me a nice set of hand builts any day.

We need to talk soon.

toys19
    Free Member

about £100 with the spokesman in Devon. I supplied rims and hubs he built them with new spokes. Solid wheels. Great service.
    http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/2.html

poah
    Free Member

I’ve got a hope XC hub with a mavic 517 rim thats not doing anything. will need dished though.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Pro3, Open Pro, Sapim Sprint wheel was absolutely terrible. Wouldnt stay straight for love nor money. Replaced the spokes with Sapim Strong and rebuilt it myself. The difference is like night and day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And wanmankylung canne even build a wheel !

orangeboy
    Free Member

Should be some very cheap deals on American classic 26″ wheels out there as they were having a clear out last month

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘wheel/wheel building and cost advice pls’ is closed to new replies.