Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wheel/Tube moving on Rim
  • baldSpot
    Free Member

Recently got new XM317 rims. using Specialized fast track tires width: 2.0.
    i have a problem with movement of the tire/tube on the rim. It is so bad that yesterday the valve was ripped off the tube. any ideas about how to fix?

pump more air in the tube?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mate of mine has similar problems, he went through about 5 tubes in a week in the alps. Can only assume its the rim/tyre combination. Try spraying coke or maybe some spray-tack around the bead?

baldSpot
    Free Member

if it is a tyre/rim combo problem then should I go for a narrow tyre or a wider one?

Stoner
    Free Member

talcum powder in the tyre. Stops friction between the tyre and the tube pulling the valve against the valve hole.

smiffy

I can improve on Stoner’s suggestion thus:

Wash the tyre in soapy water and clean the rim in the same way. this will help them stick together.

Coat the tube in talc by putting the tube a teaspoonful of talc in a carrier bag, tying-off and shake vigorously. This avoids the talk getting on the rim hook/tyre bead area.

Now the weather has turned you may find the problem goes away on it’s own, this is a dry-riding phenomenon.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Is it the tyre/tube moving? I had similar problem finally traced to some cheapo plastic rim tape that was moving and slicing into the vale.

Quickly sorted with some decent cloth stickybacked rim tape – which also may cure the problem if your tube is slipping…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wheel/Tube moving on Rim’ is closed to new replies.