• This topic has 56 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LD.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Wheelsize rant – children
  • poah
    Free Member

165mm crank was certainly too long for my 10 year old, even the 150mm thorn was slightly too long when I first got it.

kids cranks

LD
    Free Member

So it’s done, a positive outcome to my rant 😉
    Just under 12kg and budget a bit under Islabike and well under Whyte, with a few garage bits!
    A big thanks to ads678 for the tip on the frame and to STW for the encouragement to build/assemble. Good fun with just a little stress.

matt_outandabout

Baggsie a go… The lad will be well pleased…

I forgot you username..hadn’t realised it was you ranting!

ads678

That’s well nice. I might have to get one of those frames and stick in the attic for a couple of years!! 😀

Did he help with the build?

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Mine are 4 and 7 – can we work out a deal when your lot grow out of these?
    T

LD
    Free Member

Will bear it in mind but got a pink 6 year old too so depends how into biking she ends up! Might have a Cnoc 14 for sale soon.

matt_outandabout

Easy to sort for H –

Jason
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I have just bought one of those Cube frames for my son. He is starting to outgrow his current 24″ wheel Kona frame. I was planning to build up a 15″ Be-One frame I have in the loft, but the size on the Cube looks better. Plan for the bike is 1×10, Reba forks and Crank Brother wheels, he seems to do well out of my old stuff! Photos in a few weeks.

scottfitz
    Free Member

wrong post!

Jason
    Free Member

Just to update the thread. I finally got my son’s cube built up and it was given it’s first ride today. The build was from a few bits I had in the loft, plus a new drive train and brakes. 1×10 using the Thorn cranks and a 28t Absolute Black ring. Final weight is about 8kg. Stand over is still a bit tight for him, but he will grow into it soon.

He also needed a new helmet as his old one was cracked. Halfords sell a Bell youth helmet that is a nice match to the frame.

peabrain
    Free Member

Nice! Just finished mine today will have to take photos.

matt_outandabout

Sweet wee bike.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

If Mick R is about still I for one would love some more details/ construction photos. What tubeset? was there much extra bending involved to get clearances etc.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

This Cubes are great!!

Also, just came across this:

Sea Otter 2015: Trek Fuel EX-Junior

elgolfo

LD, interesting thread as I am doing something similar. What did you resolve for headset? I’m looking out for some air forks and am presuming tapered steerer could be accommodated with a tapered headset? Which forks did you go for & what what length steerer? Cheers for doing the graft and for other replies for sharing advice.

Simon

Did anyone buy a 16″ Cube Attention frame from BikeDiscount but now not need it?

LD
    Free Member

Probably far too late but only just spotted Elgolfo’s post.
    Headset is on of these – link

Forks are – link with straight steerer. Air down at minimum, loads of movement and seem very plush.
    LBS cut a couple of inches off steerer and I put in a couple of 20mm spacers to raise stem up a bit.
    Also changed chainring to a 32t raceface NW in green.
    He’s quite enjoying it funnily enough! Just need more time to ride.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Wheelsize rant – children’ is closed to new replies.