Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wheelsets under £200?
  • sv

Seen a few sets now the sales are coming,

CRC have Kore EX-SB at £149
    CRC link

On-One have their own hubs and Sun Rims EQ29 for £130 or SSC with the Flow deal for £200 or various Alex rimmed stuff (Supra30 in polished for £190).

Anybody seen anything else?

honourablegeorge

Crank Bros Iodine/Cobalt in the CRC Sale for 250

trevron73
    Free Member

Shhhh !!!!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Euro
    Free Member
    Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I got the Kore Durox II from CRC for much cheapness. Not used it yet as it is for an imminent bike (well… few weeks away but not that far) – but they do look good!

And very cheap for a UST compatible wheelset too 😉 It was also one of the few options that came in the right hub sizes for what I wanted (29″, 15mm front and 142×10 rear).

For cheaper than Superstar it was worth a punt!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’re a bit handy, or know someone that is, anything is possible. For around £180 I built a pair of DT Swiss 240/Mavic 717/DT DB spoked wheels. The only used part was the rear hub, before you ask. But that’s a £450 set of wheels all day long. 🙂

colin27
    Free Member

Mavic Crossrides are around £200 – pretty light, look smart, fairly stiff

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I was thinking it was time I learned to build wheels, but have no idea where to start… or what kit I need to do so. As soon as you look at buying a wheel jig though the cost just gets silly.

zerocool

Superstar do some great value wheelsets. Good quality as well

Tom KP

sv

PP – already have a build list awaiting my attention over Christmas! Wanted to go for the easy option for these ones…

With the SSC wheels concerned I might have to re-tension but they are good VFM for the parts alone. Kore are an unknown quantity/quality and will spares be available if required, probably not.

sv

Capt K I learnt using the Wheelpro book (£9 PDF book) and it details making your truing jig and other tools that you require for building. Made several wheels and the ones I have are still fine.

bland

These – No question!

DT 240’s are great hubs until they crack and you are left with something worthless – Let me know if you want to buy a freehub for one!

fivespot
    Free Member

Easton EA70 on CRC sale down from £400 to £200, apply SAVE40 voucher, nice wheels for £160 😀

zerocool

Never had to touch my Super Star wheels in several years. Been abused all over the world on a range of bikes and I totally recommend them. Wouldn’t recommend their brake pads though.

nosedive
    Free Member

those kore look like great value, such a shame they aren’t convertable axle standards.

nosedive
    Free Member

especially as save40 has stopped working

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Easton EA70 on CRC sale down from £400 to £200

I’ve been looking at these but I’m a bit confused by all the different rear wheel options. Is 10×135 a bolt through axle wheel? I’ve got a vertical dropout scandal with qr’s front and rear at the moment but the rear dropout does measure 10mm where as the forks are 9.

I’m sure it’s probably simple 😳

honourablegeorge

135mm is a standard dropout, and 10mm most likely means a standard QR< esp. for those wheels.

You can get 10×135 wheels that use a 10mm acle – basically a burlier quick release that’s 10mm in diameter, still fits a standard QR frame, but you’d need the skewer/axle to suit it, they’re 10-15 quid at superstar.

Either way, they should fit a normal dropout frame.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing that up 8) Just wanted to make sure I didn’t end up buying a rear wheel that didn’t fit!

They could end up being my christmas present to myself unless there is anything better around for that money?

micky
    Free Member

I would buy 2nd hand with £200. You have a lot of scope that way and will get something quality. A set of hope hoops 2nd hand will leave you with enough change to buy new bearings for £200.

timnwild

Ea70s – bought! Thanks for the tip folks. Merry Xmas.

Just 40 than I paid for a 2nd hand set of DT Swiss 1750s that weren’t up to scratch at all.

ta

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ea70s – bought!

They’ll be shit wont they?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wheelsets under £200?’ is closed to new replies.