Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Wheelset – Hope/Flow/Mavic/Superstar
  • bash
    Free Member

Can’t really decide on a wheelset for my BFe build, just moved to Peak district so hoping to get out and explore the area to give an idea of terrain.

Torn between getting something like the Superstar Tactic Tesla for £250 but I’m unsure due to some of the reviews, or maybe spend a little more on something like a Flow EX/Pro 2 Evo, Mavic EX721/Pro 2 Evo or Hope Tech Enduro for around £300-£350 depending on where I get them from.

Any comments on these or any other suggestions for around the same price?

ninfan
    Free Member

Have seen Mavic EN 821 on Hope for around 350~380, a touch more but lovely rims and tubeless.

chakaping
    Free Member

tactics maybe a bit lightweight

look at superstar tech 4 wheels with ds25 rims if you want something more similar to a flow ex

i own both btw.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

I’ve had 2 wheelsets from Superstar, one’s actually very good, the other had really uneven spoke tension, I had it in a hybrid and it wasn’t strong enough for canal path riding. But, that’s not so bad, because it was very cheap and hte price difference was more than enough to pay for a rebuild anyway. So I treat it like a well packaged wheel kit and if it happens to be well built enough to use, that’s a bonus.

The 821’s had some stinking reviews and complaints about strength, I haven’t used em myself, they do look good on paper (my 819s were strong like ox and heavy like bus). I’m not as much of a fan of the Flow Ex as I was of the old Flow, it’s not as strong imo but it’s still great at what it does. I replaced my Flow Ex with a WTB i25 which is a wee bit heavier but very impressive- much more dent resistant than the Flow Ex.

Honestly, it’s 26, I’d be buying used as values have dropped like a stone.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Bash,
    I’ll be looking to get rid of a set if the hope techs next week. Drop me an email if interested!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Just swapped my flows for 821s on pro evo 2s.

Built up there’s only a couple of grams between them. Look really nice. Due their first ride out at the weekend, will report back if I manage to melt them.

deviant
    Free Member

the other had really uneven spoke tension, I had it in a hybrid and it wasn’t strong enough for canal path riding. But, that’s not so bad, because it was very cheap and hte price difference was more than enough to pay for a rebuild anyway. So I treat it like a well packaged wheel kit and if it happens to be well built enough to use, that’s a bonus.

Partly this, SS buy in such bulk that as a parts retailer they are hard to beat…and if the wheel comes well built then bonus.
    I’ve had road wheelsets and MTB wheels from them and all have been good.

Currently have the Tactic/Tesla combination, the Tesla hubs are awesome, click on/click off adaptors are a joy to use seeing as i swap them between my hardtail which is 9mm QR and my FS which can run 135×10 or 142×12.

The Tactic rim is hard enough for everything but DH, it is 23mm internal, 28mm external and will take a 2.5 tyre, used my set on both HT and FS with no problems so far.

bash
    Free Member

I keep ‘going back’ to the superstar wheels but feel like I would be scrimping on one of the most important parts of the build after the frame.

Northwind: any ideas where these bargain 2nd hand ones are, bugger all on eBay although I’m quite fussy.

deviant
    Free Member

My LBS charge £10 to true a wheel, at SS prices its still cheaper to buy from them and take a set of shonkily built wheels to the LBS and come out on top over other brands.

Del

if something goes awry i know who’d i’d rather deal with.

chakaping
    Free Member

Superstar have a flashy new wheelbuilding machine according to their FB posts. The two sets I’ve had from them in the last 12 months have been spot-on.

I was really impressed with the Tech 4 wheels for the money. I think there is very little to tell them apart from a set of Hope/Flow wheels in use. I believe the weights are very similar too.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Superstar have a flashy new wheelbuilding machine

Totally wasted if there is a chimp mashing the buttons.

Hope/Flow. It’s the default choice for a reason.

chakaping
    Free Member

Totally wasted if there is a chimp mashing the buttons.

A bit like a computer keyboard.

I said…

The two sets I’ve had from them in the last 12 months have been spot-on.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got Hope wheels, I’ve got Superstar wheels. The Hopes cost double the SS, but, despite having to give the SSs a quick go around with a spoke key, I can’t honestly say they’re worth twice as much in use. This latest set of SSs were far better built than the last set I had too, but the tension was still a bit random in places (rather than just loose everywhere with the last ones).

The biggest bonus with the Hopes is that my LBS has every possible spare available immediately, should I ever need something.

nach
    Free Member

tl;dr: Superstar hubs seem good, check carefully when it comes to rims though. Don’t compromise on wheels.

I bought a set of superstars just under two years ago, they needed a little truing when they arrived but were within a mil and lasted well. The Switch hubs are still going and it’s only during a second winter that the bearings are getting a bit rumbly. Last summer, the back rim did not come back from a holiday in good nick (it was a weeny XC one though), so I rebuilt them with Spank Subrosas.

globalti
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve bought two sets of Pave 28 road wheels from Superstar and they are excellent; I gave a set “blind” to my cycling buddy who rides a Tarmac SL4 and he was amazed; he couldn’t believe a light stiff set of wheels could make so much difference to the way a bike handles. The second set went on GTi Junior’s roadie and soon after he crashed and damaged the front rim. We had to wait a few months for black rims to come back in stock but we sent the wheel off last Thursday and got it back on Tuesday, rebuilt and perfect at a cost of £30 under Superstar’s rebuild scheme.

nickc

First time in ages I got a set of pre-built wheels, ordered Tesla on Pancenti rims from Superstar. They’re good bog standard machine built rims. I doubt I’ll have any issues with the build (no more than any other machine built pair of rims) over time

Choose Pancenti, over Mavic and Stans as they wide and tubless compatible, but same weight as Stans, but with eyelets. Time will tell.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I said…
    The two sets I’ve had from them in the last 12 months have been spot-on.

Well, they must all be perfect then mustn’t they? Because ‘you said’

What cobblers; even Dave Hinde can sometimes put a set of wheels together. But when all the planets do not line up, you’re better off dealing with a proper outfit.

superfli
    Free Member

Got 3 sets of Superstar wheels, All spot on.
    1xCrest on Switch Evo 26″
    1xFlow on Switch Evo 26″
    1xTactic on Tesla 27.5″

Very much a fan of them and their prices.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’ve had several sets of Superstar wheels – all have been fine.

Ignore the noise generated by a tiny vocal minority (mainly a few on just this site – it’s an old grudge). Can’t remember the exact figures, but I saw something not long ago where they’d sold 30,000+ sets of wheels. By definition, purely on a statistical basis, some will go wrong when you sell that many.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I have Switch hubs on 717’s. Nearly a year old and v.good apart from the front bearings which were changed after a couple of months.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

What andyrm said

Northwind

andyrm – Member

I saw something not long ago where they’d sold 30,000+ sets of wheels. By definition, purely on a statistical basis, some will go wrong when you sell that many.

Not being funny but how many mtb wheels do you reckon Giant or Specialized manage to sell, without having any of them unwind after a couple of weeks use on tarmac and canal paths?

mtbsam
    Free Member

ive got the en821’s on hope evo2’s and they’re awesome! came from mavic crossrides, and for a decent weight ive got a much stronger rim a reliable hub.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Got a set of flows on pro 2 somewhere that i may be willing to part with

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If I was buying wheels tomorrow it would be superstar tactic rims on switch ultralite hubs. My AM-490 rims on switch hubs have been rock solid, ride a lot in the peaks and they take a hammering.

bruneep

go on….

spectabilis
    Free Member

I have an unused boxed pair of mavic 321/Pro 2’s in black needing a new home (pre 40t rear) open to offers.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Ignore the noise generated by a tiny vocal minority (mainly a few on just this site – it’s an old grudge).

In that case you must ignore the gobby few praising Superstar. It might be Neil/Fruit up to his old tricks again with multiple logins praising SS and slagging Hope off. Like his previous antics.

It is an old grudge; held for good reason.

andyrm
    Free Member

Scotchegg – ‘fraid not mate.

No link to SS here. Just think that its a bit sad when grumpy old **** on a bike website hold worse grudges than teenage girls.

Again I refer back to statistics. Produce that many aftermarket products, some will have issues. Sadly the internet seems toake people get very emotional about that kind of thing.

OP – you’ll be fine. See recent reviews in all the MTB press, majority of which are long term, not just unboxing and first look. In fact, BikeRadar have a good few reviews from their MTB titles’ reviews. Have a look on there.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member
    In that case you must ignore the gobby few praising Superstar

So praising something that you think is good is considered ‘gobby’ now is it? And probable evidence that it must be a conspiracy to prove you wrong. Sorry to disappoint but I am not ‘fruit’ nor do I have any idea who he is or why you have mentioned him. The 3 sets of SS wheels I’ve owned have been great. Just my opinion, but clearly you know best.

Northwind

tizzzzle – Member

So praising something that you think is good is considered ‘gobby’ now is it

Dismissing anyone who disagrees with you as holding a grudge, is gobby.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    tizzzzle – Member
    So praising something that you think is good is considered ‘gobby’ now is it

Dismissing anyone who disagrees with you as holding a grudge, is gobby

Agreed, although given that he was referring to everyone that dared to praise SS on this thread and also insinuating that they were possibly being dishonest in doing so, I’m not sure what your point is. Praise based on experience isn’t ‘being gobby’ and I take offence at being referred to as such. I probably won’t lose any sleep over it though.

Anyway – OP, given that you are buying 26ers I would definitely be looking second hand, there are some outrageous bargains out there at the moment.

akira

I’ve had some good wheels from superstar and I’ve had some shocking ones as well, customer service wasn’t super.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Update: I’ve cracked my 10 month old Switch Evo freehub. It’s being up’d with an Ultra so all is good in the world.

kuman
    Free Member

Hope tech enduro! Sorted!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Huge thread on bikeradar roadie forum about bargain SS wheels/shonkey build quality.

Same vein here, some fanboi some h8rs.

Personally I’d avoid anything from them with moving parts after a self destructing set of brake lines and a shitty “you must have fitted them wrong” from them…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Wheelset – Hope/Flow/Mavic/Superstar’ is closed to new replies.