Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wheelset and Fork Recommendations
  • mccraque

Getting the Solaris build underway – have decided to plump for the 27.5+ route to see what all the fuss is about.

Wrestling with options for the fork and wheels. Was all set for some Superstar wheels – with the 28mm ryde rims. And then they sold out with no known restock date.

Ideally I’d want a 30mm internal width, relatively light and less than £400 (or thereabouts).

And fork wise, I am going to run a 120mm. Was initially thinking Rockshox Yari – although am reading that they may not be so great on the small bump stuff and there’s a bit of a weight penalty. Not sure I need 35mm stanchions

Alternative being the Reba….although I wonder whether that will be too flexy.

Any others that may come into the mix and are easily serviced/spares available when needed?

on a bit of a budget again…..can’t really afford a pike!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t know about forks but DT XM481s look like a good 30mm internal rim at about 500g each. You could go light bicycle carbon but even with very budget hubs and spokes you will go over the £400 mark, the rims alone will take about £300 of your budget, maybe more the way the dollar is going.

mccraque

I’ve looked at the LB ones and they’re reasonable compared to the local alternatives – I just worry about parting with that much cash to a company that far away (probably unfounded I know)

The DT Swiss 32 hole version seems to be out of stock at a lot of places.

Ryde Enduro is another options

WTB give the width I like, but comparatively heavy compared to all of the above!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a mint condition Revelation RCT3 29er here – currently 140mm but with the spacers to drop it to 120mm.

Drop me a line if you’re interested in secondhand.

🙂

mccraque

What’s the difference between the Revs and the Reba? and what colour/ does it have 51mm offset?

thanks

chakaping
    Free Member

Rev is a bit burlier and heavier than a Reba. Good fork for a HT 29er I found.

51mm offset and black, pic here…
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12897348/

Only 180 miles use from new, barely broken in.

Will take more pics tomorrow as I was gonna advertise it anyway.

Pricewise I was thinking £230 posted.

Email in profile.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I run a solaris with easton heist 27 wheels and 120 pikes, I’m getting on very well with this combination. For running 650b+ I would go for easton heist 30 wheels which should be with your budget. Having ran rebas, revs and pikes in 26″ format, there is a noticeable difference in stiffness between the rev and reba. The difference between the rev and pike I thought was much less despite the difference in stanchion diameter. Personally I would have been happy with revs but went for pikes as crc were selling them for the same price last year. I would avoid rebas personally but I’m a big lad and if you’re light then they would be fine also.

mccraque

I’m a reasonable chunk at around 14 stone (and a bit when kitted up)

Did you put spacers in the Pike or did they come in a 120 format?

davewalsh
    Free Member

I had the air shaft changed, new pikes don’t have spacers. Cost £20 for the shaft and £25 to have it fitted. Factory spec 120’s were stupidly expensive.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wheelset and Fork Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.