Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wheels worth rebuilding?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

I've got a couple of matching Hope hubs but on very different rims (they were bought seperately and cheaply as individual wheels) and was wondering if they were worth getting rebuilt to match.

Both are sort of pinky red 5-bolt hubs with good bearings etc. The rear has a Ti freehub fitted. The front is currently on a Mavic 121, which I think is a downhill rim and very heavy – that wheel, with 160mm Hope disk fitted, weighs 1.1kg on my scales. The rear is on a silver Mavic X317 and weighs 1.05kg with a 160mm disk fitted – which seems a more reasonable weight.

As all I need is XC rims I could either get something like a silver XC717 fitted to the front, or either get both rebuilt. What does getting a wheel rebuilt cost, and do you think these hubs are worth basing a build around?

zaskar
    Free Member

I would just call my LBS and it will vary in price but it depends on the builder.

Take your hubs with you if not fitten to rims so they can see what length spokes etc and give you a proper breakdown compared to using new hubs.

I mean if your hubs are in good nick then you could use them again no problemo.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The hubs are currently built up into wheels which all work fine, I just tend not to use them often as they don't match cosmetically (front is dark grey, rear is silver) and the front feels heavy. This is what they looked like back when I had them on my Epic:

Ambrose

No problem to rebuild at all. Why don't you try it yourself?

A good guide to replacing rims here.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

It looks very complex, but isn't really.

As a first attempt, why not get another front rim to match the rear one? Then tape it side by side onto the old front rim and move the spokes over.

Front wheels are generally easier to work on than rear ones I find. As for spoke lengths, explain the plan to the LBS and ask for a suitable rim. Having said that I've never had an issue with spokes not matching, maybe I've been lucky. Get a few spare spokes and nipples, just in case 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

…sounds like the perfect 'first wheel build' to me! 🙂

mmb
    Free Member

cost the parts yourself then add £25-£30 per wheel for your lbs to build my lbs charges £25 per wheel, then compare to a new set of equivalent wheels and make your decision from there,personally i'd build a matching rim myself at home far cheaper!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Hmm – not sure I'd be willing to give it a go myself. Don't have any wheelbuilding kit for one thing.

Edinburgh Bicycles do a 1-day wheelbuilding course for about £50 though, and you can build your own wheels on that – might be an option I suppose.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I was just about to buy a rim but decided it'd be prudent to take a good look at the hub first. Turns out it's a 36 hole one (rear is 32) so it's just as well I didn't order a matching rim.

I think I'll just keep my eye on Ebay for a matching front wheel or hub.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wheels worth rebuilding?’ is closed to new replies.