Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheels – Hope Hub and Stans 355
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a hard tail and full susser, both running unfashionable 26 in wheels. I built up the full susser with a selection of budget parts, including Mavic Cross ride wheels.

I was looking to upgrade my wheels and keep the cross rides for the hardtail, as my old hardtail wheels are shot.

My full susser is a Trance X and fork is a noodley 150mm Rock Shox Sektor DPC (so reduces to 120mm), with QR drop outs. (My build was on a budget.)

I have seen Hope/Stans 355 on ebay (new) for £185 ish, would these be ok? I was thinking the hub could be converted later to 15mm axle, but not sure if the wheels will be decnent. Don’t get much air, but at that price I could almost afford to upgrade rims later if they get trashed.

What is the consensus?

P20

I’ve ran 355’s on various FS bikes up to 140mm for nearly 6yrs without problems. I recently bought a 2nd hand set of hope/355 for £120ish off here for wor lasses bike. Are the hubs evo or evo2?

boxelder

As above, great wheels (if built well – like all wheels I guess), but unless in excellent condition they seem expensive. I was selling a pair recently for a fair chunk less – built by Roger Musson and not needed any attention for over 5 years (and I’m 14 stone….).
    If they are in good nick and come with the correct adaptors (15mm whatever) may be worth it – check the freehub isn’t too gouged by the cassette and ask how old the bearings are. Also are the taped up tubeless and with valves, as running tubeless is well worth the effort, with much better ride feel.
    I’ve kept mine, but may be up for a swap + some cash for your Crossrides? In the Lakes if it’s an option.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

I think that one on ebay is just for the rear wheel….

gribble
    Free Member

jonjonjon3 – thanks for the tip, looks like I was deluded. I thought I had read it was for a pair, but rear only is not such good value. Off to the LBS it is then!

Out of interest, what are the main differences re: the different Hope hubs?

bentudder

I’ve got a pair of Hopes on 355s that I need to shift, as it happens. Rear is a Hope XC with a steel freehub, as I was running if on my singlespeed. Front is a Evo 2 with QR and 9mm TA adapters. Will drop you a line.

bentudder

Double post, for some reason…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheels – Hope Hub and Stans 355’ is closed to new replies.