Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wheels for my Solaris
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Broken spokes on my current ProII/Arch EXs has meant that I’ve missed riding this bank holiday. It’s the third time in the last 6 months this has happened so I’m considering a new wheelset.

If any shops near to me were open or had stock of Arch EX or Flow EXs on Sunday I would have bought there and then.

So, I was considering placing an order for some Flow EX 29s tomorrow so I can be back riding by the end of the week. Thought being a burlier, wider rim would offer strength, comfort, improved tyre profile, etc. The Arch EXs have been fine up until the spokes started failing and maybe the Flows will offer extra security with a small weight penalty.

Are there any other factory off the shelf wheelsets I should consider?

wiggles
    Free Member

How old are your wheels and who built them?

If the rims are still ok might just need rebuilding with new spokes.

mtbel
    Free Member

It’s the third time in the last 6 months this has happened

Consider a better wheelbuilder rather than new wheels.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

That’s the problem. The wheels were built well but they’ve had a partial rebuild first, then spokes replaced and trued second instead of a full rebuild.

As for full rebuild, one it’ll be relatively expensive and with what I’ve spent already I could have bought a new rear wheel. Two, getting my wheel rebuilt in the next few days will be near on impossible with most having a two week wait.

I digress, should I opt for new Flows? Stick with Archs or is there anything else I should consider? Mavic? DT Swiss? 15mm Front QR Rear

breadcrumb

I have the WTB i23’s in 29er flavour on a HT and they haven’t missed a beat. Availble in 25mm width too iirc.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

You’d be better off with a well made hand built pair and waiting few extra days over a factory set dude.

tomd
    Free Member

+1 for the WTB i23s or i25s. Available for much cheapness and very happy with mine.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers all

I’ve gone and purchased a new set of Flow EXs. Slight overkill for Solaris but sourced with valves, sealant and tape for a decent price. It also means I’ll be back out riding later this week.

I can then break and sell ProII hubs and Arch EX rims or alternatively rebuild wheels and sell Flow EXs.

I wasn’t intending on spending much money on the Solaris with the hope of a new FS 29er this year. Which would need new wheels and I’d probably go down the LB/DT Swiss route but needs must.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wheels for my Solaris’ is closed to new replies.