Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wheels for a Croix de Fer
  • Ogg

Stock wheels on the S/H Croix de Fer I’ve just got are heavy and the rear isn’t particularly round either, with tyres/tubes/disc etc the front weighs 1850g and the rear 2425g, I reckon I can knock off ~500g either end if I went for something like Crests on Hope but I don’t need tubeless and I’d prefer something a lot cheaper… any suggestions?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Kinesis cx disc wheelset about 1500g

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve fitted a couple of sets of 29er/700c Mavic Crossrides recently and been very impressed with them. One of them whent on a high end hybrid, the other on a CDF actually. Very good quality, nice quiet freehub, wheels alone 1800g/pair on digital scales which is very good for the £250-ish (including the QR adaptors which are extra) they cost.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Kinesis cx disc wheelset about 1500g

Over 1800g according to this link (Unless there’s another set?)

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1174581/products/kinesis-cx-disc-cyclocross-wheelset-campy.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CI3M1sO4p8ECFRMatAodHngAiQ

cloudnine
    Free Member

They might be the weights of the V1.. theyve changed them

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/wheels/crosslight-cxdisc

Front: 689g. Rear: 866g.

OK 1555g

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fair enough! 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Over 1800g according to this link (Unless there’s another set?)

that will be the old version, there’s a V3 version that’s a fair bit lighter. Stock will be hard to find at the moment I reckon.

Lots of people use crest hope hoops, as long as you are careful with your tire choice.

If you go much cheaper then you are not going to save much weight, and it is worth getting a light set.

I have just swapped out my croix de fer frameset for a tripster atr frameset – the tripster very smooth over bumps, but the cdf was less slack and so more lively and still pretty good over bumpy stuff and I sort of miss it. And I only saved 2.4lbs in weight as my build was 22.5lbs and the tripster is 20.1lbs.

Ogg

Yeah I’d had my eye on the Kinesis wheels but nobody appears to have stock.

Jamie
    Free Member
    ahwiles
    Free Member

this morning, i watched my friend put a massive ding in his rear Kinesis wheel simply by riding through a pothole.

light, but made of cheese.

brooess
    Free Member

First ride today on my winter bike with the Hope road wheelset – Mavic Open Pro rims. Very impressed. I assume you can get a disc version too. Merlin did mine for c£320 incl delivery

Jamie
    Free Member

I had some V2’s on my Croix De Fer, and was never that gentle. So would politely disagree with such a sweeping statement.

brooess
    Free Member

I had some V2’s on my Croix De Fer, and was never that gentle. So would politely disagree with such a sweeping statement.

Possibly AH Wiles’ mate’s wheel was made of a lighter kind of cheese than yours? Maybe Philadelphia Light rather than Full Fat?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m certainly full fat.

….and smell of cheese.

Edit: How about these OP?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-cxroad-disc-wheelset-1

cloudnine
    Free Member

Made an enquiry to upgrade bikes about the Kinesis wheels the other day and they are due in January.. Im impressed with mine and i havent been that gentle with them. Done about 2k miles on them and going to buy a second set. For £239 you cant go wrong (and they are tubeless ready rims)

bikeneil
    Free Member

this morning, i watched my friend put a massive ding in his rear Kinesis wheel simply by riding through a pothole.

I’m not surprised. Doubt it has anything to do with the wheel though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wheels for a Croix de Fer’ is closed to new replies.