Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wheels – Crank Bros Iodine, or Mavic Crossmax users……..
  • After my Roval Traversee's failing miserably to meet my requirements and dependant on what response if any I get from Spesh, I'm considering the two above options, as I understand the front hubs can be converted to accomodate the E150 SL forks 25mm axle.

Any views/experiences?

ojom
    Free Member

whats up with the Traversees?

Made of cheese, siezed nipples, knackered bearings – after 4 months use 2-3 hrs per week max……..

There are a couple of others similar in the same rim and it's flatted too in two of the places – i.e. not round anymore with loose spokes that can't be tensioned.

Not running particularly low pressures and riding no more aggressively than any other bike/wheelset I've used

ojom
    Free Member

Sound like my DT Swisses i have been wrestling with!

Call moi tomorrow if you want. Suggest some options etc.

Or PM me…

psychle
    Free Member

I too have a managed to put a few decent dings in my Traversees 🙁 I thought they'd be pretty tough (going off the Specialized marketing spiel…), but if something looks too good to be true, well I guess it may just be!

I didn't know the CB wheels could run a 25mm front axle? You sure of that?

Big-Bud
    Free Member

cb wont take the 25mm!!.
    the iodines are awesome wheels & all new modles wont have any freehub issues .

personally the cb would be my choice but look at nukeproof for a more budget friendly option .

grtdkad

FWIW I have run Crossmax SLs for the last couple of years and they are absolutely ace, very, very light and super strong. They take my 200lb bulk 2-3 times a week and have needed very little maintenance.

There's a question mark over the CB's taking the 25mm thru axle (thread on MTBR) with some slight mods. They have the same bearing dimension 25 x 37 x 7.

The Mavic's will with shims apparently.

Industry 9 do a factory ready version, but I've read the seals are crap.

psychle
    Free Member

and they're more expensive than sin due to the stupidly weak pound, very nice looking wheels though 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Very happy with my '09 Crossmax SX wheelset. They're the first non-custom wheels I've had & haven't needed any truing at all in the past 10 months or so. Pretty light but feel solid. Really quick pickup too. Quite spendy though.

Sound like my DT Swisses i have been wrestling with!

Call moi tomorrow if you want. Suggest some options etc.

Or PM me…

Cheers

Incidentally, I've been told by someone who knows his stuff that these rims seem strangely similar to DT, who Spesh actually use to supply badged rims to their bikes????

I wish I'd listened to my better instinct when buying, but hey ho.

Lets see if Spesh come good when I take them back.

househusband

Don't the Roval's have DT internals too?

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

Drop me an email, address in profile. I have a pair of 1 ride old iodines I may sell if you are interested.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Crossmax's are awesome, light and strong.

uplink
    Free Member

Do Crank Bros make anything that is durable & robust?
    With the possible exception of the mini tools, I've never come across anything

soops
    Free Member

My crossmax st's are brill!! 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wheels – Crank Bros Iodine, or Mavic Crossmax users……..’ is closed to new replies.