Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wheels – 26'' vs 700c for commuting. Your thoughts please.
  • letmetalktomark

A slight change in events means that I have the opportunity to do a bit of commuting by bike each week.

Each trip will only be circa 7 miles in total and through the mountainous terrain of Norwich 😉

I have a trusty Kona that I intend to use but unsure on wheels.

The bike is designed for 26” wheels but I have used 700c wheels in the frame before a la below but sold the wheels after needing space 😕

I have a set of 26” wheels that could be used with some Fatboy tyres but I wonder if its worth trying to source some reasonably priced 700c wheels.

My sensible side ( booooooo 😆 ) thinks that even if 700c wheels do make a difference it wouldn’t be felt over such a short distance.

But what fun is being sensible!

Spin
    Free Member

Your sensible side is probably right I don’t think it’ll make much odds.

Nice looking bike.

cupra
    Free Member

If you can afford the wheels then I would go with 700c. besides that bikes looks superb with them and when all know the commute is about looks 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

700 would be my preference. Like you say though – likely to ne little benefit over that distance.

letmetalktomark

Spin – Member

Your sensible side is probably right I don’t think it’ll make much odds.

Nice looking bike.

Thought so & thank you.

Sadly bike is in bits at the moment 🙁

But will be due a revamp soon 🙂

letmetalktomark

Like your thinking Cupra

cupra – Member

the commute is about looks

bullheart
    Free Member

I have a nice set of 700c wheels that I’m about to stick up on the classifieds if you fancy. Quando disc hubs on Rigida Taurus rims. I used them with my Dialled PA for commuting. £50 posted.

letmetalktomark

Mr bullheart – If you could shoot me over some pics please that would be ace 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

700c gives more tyre choice (inc cheap light 23c if you ever want to go fast) & maybe rolls slightly better.

bullheart
    Free Member

email sent!

letmetalktomark

Looks like 700c will not only be faster but also cooler too 8) 😆

Klunk
    Free Member

really like the 26 inch wheels on my commuter, they feel very robust and the bigger tyre carcass make it much better over over rough roads, curbs, drain covers, pot holes and the like than my road bikes skinnies. It does mean I lose out on top end but i never ride any where particularly quickly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wheels – 26'' vs 700c for commuting. Your thoughts please.’ is closed to new replies.