Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wheelmilk alternatives?
  • sv

Cant remember the name but there were suggestions a while back that there was a sealant that lasted longer before needing refilled/drying out. Stans maybe? Not sure anybody…

wwaswas

the glycol based ones dry more slowly, I think, which would be bontrager and the like but that does mean they don't 'skin over' as quick if you do a get a hole.

GavinB

Saw a press release on SDH for RRP Puncture Guard, which sounds great until you see the price….£15 for 250ml 😯

sv

The alternative was still a latex based one, just not as quick to go off. Think it may well have been Stans – maybe.

glenh
    Free Member

In my experience, Stans last much longer than wheel milk.

happysv
    Free Member

Bimbler – Member
    Caffe Latex?

A bit pricey but seems to be doing a stirling job so far – albeit only about 1 month

Avoid unless using ust tyres . Set solid in my maxxis ardents after 10 hours.
    Anyone using it, don't just shake the wheel to see if its still fluid because that doesn't work
    It separated in my tyres to a brown liquid and solidified latex.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Was going to ask.. Does any one else get solid nuggets of latex rolling around in their tyres after a couple of weeks with Stans?

sv

You guys use CO2 for inflation?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Track pump for me. Do you think the CO2 could make the sealant go off? Could do.. Acidity makes a lot of emulsions curdle.

sv

Possible that the acidic CO2 gas gives rise to premature curing to the latex? Currently use the wheelmilk and it really only dries as a film over the entire inside of the tyre – no nuggets. I use a compressor for inflation. Lifespan is ok at this time of the year but I find 6 weeks in the summer between top-ups.

happysv
    Free Member

I get around 2 – 3 months with stans

DezB
    Free Member

I got some of this off Ebay.
    Claims not to dry out. HAven't had a puncture (that I've noticed) yet.
    Good price too.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bimbler – Member
    Caffe Latex?

A bit pricey but seems to be doing a stirling job so far – albeit only about 1 month

Avoid unless using ust tyres . Set solid in my maxxis ardents after 10 hours.
    Anyone using it, don't just shake the wheel to see if its still fluid because that doesn't work
    It separated in my tyres to a brown liquid and solidified latex.

Oh plop, £25 too.

tinsy
    Free Member

Not tried it myself, bt have any of you dabbled with making your own? Plenty of info and recipes on google for it, and you can mix and match the ingredients to get whatever you want out of it be it long life or to seal huge holes. And its cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wheelmilk alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.