Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wheelie bike
  • womp
    Free Member

Im sat on the sofa after having the snip looking for a new bike (the wife’s suggestion)

I’m after a bike I can ride down the park with the kids (it’s basically a big mildly undulating tarmac loop)

Basically I want to wheelie everywhere (and learn to manual) do stoppies,bunny hops ect

So just a play bike, it won’t be doing any big mileage, must have a low stand over so the wife can borrow it when she takes the kids out

Ideally £500-700ish, disc brakes, 24\26″ wheels, possibly ridged, 1x#

The only cavet is it it can’t be a BMX as the wife said she would look stupid on it.

I’m at a loss, any suggestions ?

cokie

Charge Blender- cheap full build pop up sometimes.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If you have a lot/some spares lying around build something up?
    As a bit of a hoarder I had enough stuff lying around to build this up.

The only part on it that was being used, was the stem from my old Enduro.
    Good luck with the Wheelies & Manuals,that’s the reason I built this hardtail

womp
    Free Member

Cheers peeps, a jump bike/4X does seem to fit the bill although they don’t have a front brake.

Cheers for the links, I’d prefer a new full build though

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a look for a cove stiffee frame. They have a low sloping top tube, short rear end (makes getting up into a wheelie easier) and are dirt cheap now. I learned to wheelie on mine commuting along the canal. I used to regularly do the 2 miles between gates without putting the front wheel down.
    The easiest bike I have found for wheelies and manuals is my anthem. I’m not sure if it’s the light weight or what but it’s so easy to get up and hold in position.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Anthem??!! I only built up the hardtail because I read that Hardtails were the best bikes to learn wheelies & manuals.
    My XC bike is a Anthem!..

Euro
    Free Member

this or this or this

I wouldn’t worry about the lack of front brake, you really don’t need one.

I can recommend the DMR as i had one but i like the look of the Saracen and the NS for that matter.

womp
    Free Member

bigjim

Just put a front brake on it, then you can learn stoppies too. I have a yeti dj, it’s terrifying and fun at the same time, and impossible not to wheelie at every opportunity

carlphillips
    Free Member

that saracen looks sweet

womp
    Free Member

It’s looking like a Jump bike is favourite, I will get one with a front brake as I do enjoy a good rolling stoppie

Most of these brands are new to me so I’ll have a little Google

As a left field option one of my mates said get one of these :

Whilst designed for the kids, we’ve all been raring to have a go on this. It will give a livelier, more throwable ride than its elder sibling, which make it perfect for the streets or pump track. So, buy it for your child and ride it yourself. It’s a win

[video]https://youtu.be/EygF8Cu4hj4[/video]

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m not saying the anthem is the right bike. Just that it is really easy to wheelie mine. But without trying to sound big headed I’m pretty good at wheelies and after a few seconds can wheelie most things.
    Biggest tips I would give to someone learning is use flat pedals to start with, practice going too high and jumping off the back of the bike (landing on your feet) and your balance point is higher than most people think.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip,I’d already fitted flats so I can hop off quickly.
    I’m only getting up to a maximum of 6 pedal strokes before the front end comes bouncing back to earth…
    I jumped off the back,landed on my feet a couple of times earlier,more practice required…

andysredmini
    Free Member

Yeah don’t be afraid to practice jumping off the back. It’s definitely one of the things that put people off learning especially when clipped in. Also helps for that time when you pull a wheelie without realising your rotor has got temporarily contaminated from cleaning and doesn’t work. In my case I ended up on my Arse.

thebees
    Free Member

Before deciding on a bike, you should check out a youtube video called ‘ how to manual with a bike: a few key tricks’ . It’s by an older guy who decided to learn to manual and took a sort of scientific approach to learning. It’s humorous and very informative, although I’ve never put his theories into practice. Maybe I will.
    Good Luck !

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve seen the video were he reverses the stem.I think the bloke was an engineer,he explained his logic & it worked for him.
    I’ll just get the wheelies sorted first…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wheelie bike’ is closed to new replies.