Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wheelbuilding/truing jigs
  • MrGreedy

I was lucky enough to do a wheelbuilding course at the weekend*. The obvious next step is to get myself a jig so I can put those skills to use before I forget them. So, recommendations please – how much should I be looking to spend and what features should I be looking for?

*Quick recommendation for David Green in Cambridge – properly knows his stuff, and is a great teacher too, a rare combination!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Depends on how much wheel building you planning to do and how much money you willing to spend?
    Also be worth spending money on tension gauge, spook keys and dishing tool, as most jigs work well for truing.

Park tool TS2 is really good but a lot of money.
    I also have a Tacx wheel jig which folds away nicly and easy to use.

MrAgreeable

I’ve used Tacx and Minoura wheel stands and I’ve just got a Rose wheel stand, which seems great VFM – about forty quid for very similar build wuality and design to the Wheelpro. They also do an optional bundle with the Minoura dishing stick.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtreme-centering-stand-2-zenta/aid:23120

wwaswas

Roger Musson suggests building your own and the book has plans.

I got a cast iron monstrosity of ebay;

DrP

^^ want!
    DrP

wwaswas

It does have a couple of problems DrP – it’s a pain with tubeless wheels as you have to take tyres off to use it and the hub clamp is a pain with 15mm etc hubs – I use a couple of marbles to hold them in place.

If anyone knows what the plate with the slotted hole in it is for can they tell me? It’s clearly original and pivots on the two mounts but I have no idea what it actually does.

It does feel like a ‘proper’ tool in a ‘blacksmiths anvil’ kind of way, though 🙂

RustyMac

For a basic stand, I like the look of this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160890119562?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D160890119562%26_rdc%3D1#ht_1124wt_1328

I was going to get it and use it in conjunction with the tools i made from Roger Muson’s book but then got a park TS2 second hand for a steal.

The other things i bought were
    A Park tension meter, again look on ebay for second hand ones, they can be quite expensive new.
    A DT Swiss Spoke driver (got this from Rose Bikes when I bought some spokes)
    The M-Part Pro spoke key from CRC

MrGreedy

Thanks, some useful suggestions there. I can’t see the pics at work but look forward to doing so later. As for how much I’m going to use it – just basic hobby use really, maybe a full build now and then. If I get any good then I might consider doing it for mates in return for beer and cake 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

I used to have one just like that wwaswas but it didn’t have the hanging down plate bit on

Edit,,, just checked on web to be sure mine did have a white plate and I used to position it as a background to be able to see any small movements in the rim on a plain background not sure if that was correct use but it helped me out. Also you can use these adaptors for different wheels I got some made but dunno what I did with them after I sold it

http://www.trekbikes.hk/index.php?lang=eng&pg=product&method=&number=HOZ–TOOL-C-330-00

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@wwaswas – I like that, proper bit of kit. no need to clamp it to the table! Bet the postage was a bit high.

I spotted that plate, and I reckon it’s a sighting plate. Gives you a nice clean background to look “down” the wheel?

FuzzyWuzzy
    wwaswas

thanks for info firestarter and Ms Hinge 🙂

seen the price for the stand on your link 😯

[edit] ah, it’s HK$. Still £350 though.

jota180
    Free Member

The Wheelpro one is easy enough to make from a bit of MDF or ply

midlifecrashes

These folk seem good for tools and stuff, but not had hands on the stuff myself. They do courses too.

Webbline/Bike-Inn

Mine is a bit more basic than wwwas’s but still works, bought if from an old fella on Gumtree who was using it to true the wire wheels on an ancient Alfa.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mine is a hybrid of wwaswas’s and midlifecrashes’s, it’s got Millenium cast into it. I’m sure it will survive for a thousand years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbuilding/truing jigs’ is closed to new replies.