Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wheelbuilding: Rim ERDs, why the secrecy? (WTB I'm looking at you…)
  • 13thfloormonk

Has anyone else noticed how difficult it is to get hold of rim ERDs for wheelbuilding?

Maybe I’ve just been exposed to it a lot having built all my own wheels and done a few wheelbuilding classes, but it seems the best source is generally second hand information from other company’s websites (i.e. DT/spocalc/wheelpro).

How difficult would it be for a rim manufacturer just to publish a discrete little table of ERDs for their rims? I’ve resorted to emailing WTB for info on their laserdisc trail rims but am not holding my breath…

MSP

They probably have poor quality control, and expect wheelbuilders to measure to allow for manufacturing discrepancies. Probably a good sign of a rim to avoid.

13thfloormonk

Ah… well that certainly makes sense, although I hadn’t thought of WTB rims as being particularly poor.

I wondered if perhaps they didn’t want amateur wheelbuilders building their rims into wheels as failures might reflect poorly on the rim manufacturer (I noticed a review on CRC stating the Laserdisc rims were rubbish because the wheels kept buckling etc.).

Reason enough I suppose to measure them myself, bit of string with two spoke nipples on it? 8)

letmetalktomark

My WTB rims had the ERD as part of the decal on the rim 😕

ojom
    Free Member

Got this?
    http://www.wtb-bike.eu/data/support/WTB_RimsInstV16-EN.pdf
    I just logged a request for you at Hotlines as well. Answers may be forthcoming in a few hours.

midlifecrashes

Can you find a pic on the web and zoom in. I thought WTB always printed it with their graphics, they have on my older Speeddisk AMs anyway.

ziggy
    Free Member

Or you could just measure the rims, it’s hardly rocket science.

cynic-al
    Free Member

They probably have poor quality control, and expect wheelbuilders to measure to allow for manufacturing discrepancies. Probably a good sign of a rim to avoid.

Flim-flam ™!

13FM just measure them, or even compare side by side with a rim you know. It’s not rocket science.

midlifecrashes

Just tried my own advice on CRC, can’t read it but the text says ERD 542.(2011 rim)

ojom
    Free Member

Just confirmed 542.

13thfloormonk

Haha! Don’t I feel silly. 😳

The reason I wasn’t measuring them is because I don’t have them yet, I was preparing to order a job lot from CRC (spokes, hubs, rims) so wanted to know in advance.

I’d emailed hotlines, but based on past experience wasn’t really expecting a response…

I didn’t realise WTB printed ERDs ON the rims, I couldn’t find any info in the document TBC linked above. Midlifecrashes, I was guessing 542 based on the most similar rim from 2002 on the spocalc calculator.

TBC, can you order those rims in? (the TSC ones). What sort of price/lead time would you expect?

Cheers all!

ojom
    Free Member

Ian – Monday for you, £31 each.

barrykellett
    Free Member

CRC will do the measuring for you if you are ordering the rims and hubs off them

13thfloormonk

Wahay! TBC! TBC! etc.

Suitably chastised, at least now I know where to look in future.

wwaswas

How difficult would it be for a rim manufacturer just to publish a discrete little table of ERDs for on their rims?

fixed it for you 😉

13thfloormonk

yes yes, very good 8)

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have the same problem with a Ritchey Pro Girder 28 Hole. Who imports them?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbuilding: Rim ERDs, why the secrecy? (WTB I'm looking at you…)’ is closed to new replies.