Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wheelbuilding, how exact do spoke measurements need to be? Is 2mm out too much?
  • midlifecrashes

Got a set of Deore/717 disc wheels many years ago. Several sets of bearings later and the shells are pitting. Also got a set of Hope XC hubs sitting waiting.

Wheelpro spoke calc says, 3x

Front
    Deore 525/Mavic 717 disc
    L 258.8 R 260.0
    Hope XC/717
    L 259.1 R 261.9

Rear
    Deore 525/Mavic 717 disc
    L 260.1 R 258.6
    Hope XC/717
    L 260.3 R 260.5

So it’s basically (right side) a 2mm difference. Shall I just reuse spokes or order more. First timer here so a bit nervous about the job. I’ll be asking LBS to give them a once over/tweak/rebuild if it doesn’t go to plan.

swisstony
    Free Member

it’ll be fine

clubber
    Free Member

It’ll be fine so long as the old spokes were never run loose

Del

buy new spokes IMHO. not worth reusing. spoiling the boat for ha’peth of tar.

clubber
    Free Member

That’s just silly. If there’s no reason to replace them then why on earth would you?

Do you also replace bbs whenever you take them out? Grips?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

It’ll be fine if you keep the spokes in the pattern they are in now, if you dismantle it and rebuild it then the spokes will more than likely snap.

clubber
    Free Member

if you dismantle it and rebuild it then the spokes will more than likely snap.

Ok you’re all just winding me up now.. That’s simply not true with the one caveat I stated. I’ve rebuilt countless wheels with the same spokes. Never had an issue.

takisawa2

Are those dims for the Hope rear correct ?
    Built my first wheel today & re-used the old ones. Its only my winter ss wheelset anyway, but good practice. If you use a nipple driver you might end up with them being too tight too quickly. Could always make one with a 2mm longer(4mm) centre spike thing.
    Its very satisfying, but dont expect the Wife to be too intrested in your creation. Mine wasnt. 🙄

Goz
    Free Member

You’ll find those spokes way to short for the Hope mavic combo, even the lengths you do have for the hope hubs are to short…assuming you have 32 spoke rims/hubs.

midlifecrashes

Maybe the spoke calc is wrong, I’ll measure it up by hand tomorrow.

clubber
    Free Member

While I don’t normally bother remembering spoke lengths, 260mm sounds familiar…

martinxyz
    Free Member

I wouldnt.I recon you will have threads showing once tensioned.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbuilding, how exact do spoke measurements need to be? Is 2mm out too much?’ is closed to new replies.