Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • wheelbuilder who can build with straight pull spokes? (Pro2 EVO SP hub)
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hope Hoop rear (Pro2 Evo straight-pull on Crest 29er rim) and the rim has fallen apart so I need a new rim building onto it (probably a EX721 but haven’t quite decided)

Anyone know a good builder who can source the correct straight-pull spokes (and build well)? My usual builder (Hewitt) wasn’t keen.

Ta.

dannybgoode

Perfect time to learn to do it yourself.

Buy Roger Musson’s e-book on wheelbuilding, follow it to the letter (taking into account the straight pull spokes) and you will get a decent wheel.

I ride my own MTB wheels and they’re pretty good and a fraction of the price of what I would have paid for a decent pre-made set.

Cheers

Danny B

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I actually have the book… ;o)

Just not had time to play about with it yet. Maybe this is the opportunity.

dannybgoode

Go for it. Its very satisfying to have a pair of wheels in your hands that you have built yourself.

Cheers

Danny B

twelveski
    Free Member

Getting straight pull spokes in the correct length is the hard bit, no one seams to stock them in the UK. The best way to make your life easy would be to get a rim that is the same as used by Hope and then you will be able to get the spokes from Hope via one of their dealers.

chriswilk
    Free Member

call JRA in sheffield (just riding along).
    If nothing else they’llber able to source the spokes for you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be honest, I’d question the skills of a wheel builder who shys away from straight pull spokes.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The spokes are special order from Sapim for Hope. Hewitt probably shied away as he knew he couldn’t source spokes.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Ta. Just emailed Hope to see if they will sell me a set of spokes, so we’ll see how that goes.

br
    Free Member

Ta. Just emailed Hope to see if they will sell me a set of spokes, so we’ll see how that goes.

Ring them and ask how much to rebuild your wheel.

fubar
    Free Member

I’d question the skills of a wheel builder who shys away from straight pull spokes

His wheels are frequently recommended and receive favourable reviews for example

His personal / customer service skills are certainly questionable – he appeared to get the hump with me for daring to ask which spokes were used in my build.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Yeah Hewitt’s issue was sourcing the spokes themselves, no the building itself. Indeed, he said if I get the spokes then he will build it.

I asked Hope if they’ll do a rebuild, so again I await their response.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

His wheels are frequently recommended and receive favourable reviews for example

His personal / customer service skills are certainly questionable – he appeared to get the hump with me for daring to ask which spokes were used in my build.

My point proven I think. 🙂
    Anyone can build 3 cross and radial time after time after time.
    My answer to “can you build me straight pull spokes? ” would be “Yeah, I’ll give it a shot!”
    Once you’ve got the spokes there’s nothing really anything different about it. Same technique. 🙂

EDIT
    Madison stock DT straight pull spokes, so anyone with an account can get them. Sounds like a poor excuse to me.

http://www.madison.co.uk/products.aspx?vertical=cycling&tier1=tyres%2C+tubes+%26+wheel+components&tier2=Spokes+%26+Nipples

fubar
    Free Member

Indeed, he said if I get the spokes then he will build it.

that’s fair enough then so he wasn’t being arsey. Perhaps I caught him on a bad day( and he did really sort a friends back problems out with a bike fit and my wheels have been sound [ends back-peddling ])

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Indeed, he said if I get the spokes then he will build it.

Easier for them to work out what lengths you need and get the spokes……. Well, it should be…… I know how it’s done…….. 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Hope have replied – they don’t do rebuilds but will look at the wheel as a possible warranty claim, so I’m sending it off to them, so we’ll see.

boxelder

Cyclewise, Whinlatter did me an open pro onto pro2 SP. Sean’s the fella.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘wheelbuilder who can build with straight pull spokes? (Pro2 EVO SP hub)’ is closed to new replies.