Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wheel Woes
  • thetallpaul
    Free Member

I’m having a continuing problem with breaking spokes on my commute home.

I use a Cannondale CAADX 105 with a pannier rack. I’m about 95kg at my heaviest, and the panniers hold at the most 5kg.
    Recently when riding home on various Sustrans cycle paths south of York I keep finding that I break spokes on a regular basis. this is probably due to the surface becoming more broken by tree roots raising up the path in ridges. I like the route as it is traffic free for 6.5 miles of my 11.5 mile route, so don’t really want to find an alternative if possible.
    I’ve had the rear wheel rebuilt with DT Swiss spokes, but the problem is still occurring.
    Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve this problem?
    If the consensus is to get a new rear wheel, what would you recommend? Needs to be qr and disc. As usual I don’t want to break the bank.

weeksy

Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve this problem?

Buy a full suspension bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try some of:
    beefier/better spokes
    beefier rim
    better build
    Higher spoke count

…and…bigger tyre at lower pressures – what are you running?

Do you unweight when hitting these roots?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marrv
    Free Member

I have been using 36 hole Mavic 719 with 37c tyre, DT spokes. 30 mile off and on road commute with paniers. Wheels outlasted the frame that broke after 6 years. No broken spokes ever.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Who built the wheel?

I had a guy in York build one up for me and he laced up the spokes in the wrong direction…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a guy in York build one up for me and he laced up the spokes in the wrong direction..

What do you mean by that?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

This is what the next guy I used to build a wheel mentioned when I took it in. Something to do with the spokes been under compression when they should be under tension?

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I trust my wheel builder, and he has a good reputation. He built a set of wheels for my Clockwork (Hope Hubs, DT Swiss spokes, Mavic 710 rims) and they haven’t moved out of true in a couple of years of abuse.

On the Caadx I’m moved up to 35 tyres from 28 and running at 60psi.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Woes’ is closed to new replies.