Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wheel upgrade on an Orange Four
  • four
    Free Member

I’m looking at upgrading my Alex Volar 2.5 rims with Hope 4 hubs.

Any suggestions, looking for a lighter option – that will do trail and XC?

I’d want to be making a decent weight saving but not carbon.

jonnyrockymountain

American classic wide lightenings

four
    Free Member

American classic wide lightenings – look good but I’m not sure about the hubs and the lag/slow rear hub reported?

matt_outandabout

I would keep the Hopes….

wiggles
    Free Member

Get some stans or dt rims and build them on your hopes.

four
    Free Member

I’d thought about building onto the hopes and thought about Mavics but not sure which model?

Which model of DT, Stans etc are likely to offer decent weight reduction over the Alex Volar?

Thanks.

wiggles
    Free Member

you need to find out what weight your rims are to to know that really.

But stans arch are a good weight/width/strength compromise
    flows are a bit wider and heavier

sharkattack

Keep the Pro 4’s because you can’t do any better really. Lace them up to some of these…

thegreatape
    Free Member

FFS, another new hub standard ^

poah
    Free Member

agree with the above, relace the current hubs with a different rim.

I’d go for spank oozy trail bead rims over the ex471. you won’t need the extra strengh riding trail/XC

chestrockwell

Looking at weights the Volar is lighter than a Flow EX so probably not much point changing unless you go carbon.

SirHC

Crest MK3 / Arch MK3 on the hubs you have, plenty wide enough and get them built be a decent wheel builder.

transition1
    Free Member

I would get mk3 Arch rim lighter than all of the above rims & just as strong!!

transition1
    Free Member

I would get mk3 Arch rim lighter than all of the above rims & just as strong!!

four
    Free Member

I’ve googled Alex Volar 2.5 27.5 to death and can not find the weight of the rims.

Does anyone know the weight please?

ajantom

465g alledgedly- which is actually not bad for a 30mm wide rim.

Link for pic

four
    Free Member

Thank you

chestrockwell

I googled ‘Alex rims’ and the first answer was the Alex website with all the specs. 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I would also keep the wheels you’ve got. You’d have to spend a lot to get anything lighter, and even then you’d be lucky to save 200g. Plus, the Hope’s have the advantage of using normal spokes and easy to find bearings and stuff.

lawman91

As others have said, rebuild the Pro 4’s onto Arch MK3’s. I recently built some for my T130, the stock wheels weighed over 2kg, switching to pro4’s, Arch MK3’s and Sapim d-light spokes saved 300g, so a fair chunk of weight.

russyh
    Free Member

Thing is the arch mk3 is only 40g per rim lighter, I’m sure it’s a better rim, but don’t make the swap for weight. Not sure what spokes the current rim is built on maybe some weight saving there. Op what is the weight of your complete wheeelset ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wheel upgrade on an Orange Four’ is closed to new replies.