Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheel "upgrade"? Hope, Stans
  • biglee1

Hiya folks, I’m fadding on a wheel upgrade for my Rumblefish Pro, it’s a 29er and at the moment is still running the oe wheels albeit tubeless with a Minion DHR on the front and a Bonty XR3 on the back.
    I’ve spotted Merlin doing handbuilt Stans crest rims with a Hope pro4 hub for about £500 for the pair. I’m 100kgs so a big lad and don’t want them folding 😉
    I’ve done roadbike wheel upgrades but never on my mtb’s
    Worth it or keep my cash?

Cheers 😀

swanny853

Crests are fairly lightweight rims in 29er. I’d probably be looking at arches for all rounders if you want something from stans. Otherwise I’d probably look at a wtb kom (maybe i25)- the latest dt stuff seems to get good reviews too.

Whether you need them at all is another matter! Is there anything about the current wheels you aren’t keen on?

biglee1

Ah, “need” nope, don’t need them although my freehub does some clanging like the pawls are clicking into position when I start pedalling which is a bit irritating tbh. They’re not buckled and I’ve replaced the bearings in the rear wheel.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Changed my Trek Stache (old style not +) from stock Bontragers to Stans Flows on Stans HD hubs, wonderfully noisy freewheel so they continually remind me they are better. Great wheel builder deals on ebay if you search them out – V happy chap here with my upgrade!

thebrowndog
    Free Member

You most definitely do need some new wheels because every bike you own should have some “best” wheels, and some “training” wheels. The best wheels are for using all the time whatever the ride/race/conditions, while the training wheels should be stuck against a wall to brood.

Having just gone through this process for my 901 Im a convert to the wide internal diameter for bigger volume and lower pressures without burping air every time you hit a root school of thought. Ive got 30mm internal diameter DT Swiss XM481’s on Hope Pro4’s, which Swinnerton Cycles built up and delivered for £400. Loving them so far.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’d agree that Crests are a lightweight wheel and that ArchEX rims (or even Flows) would be a better choice.

They’ll be heavier but faced with a similar choice I went ArchEX and not had any issues (on a hard tail).wider rims also better for tyre profile (assuming your tyres are 2.3″-ish).

nickc

Haven’t Crest got a weight limit of 90kgs anyway?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheel "upgrade"? Hope, Stans’ is closed to new replies.