Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • wheel upgrade for tripster
  • paultheagle
    Free Member

I’ve had my kinesis tripster atr for about 2 years now and although very happy with my “one bike does it all” – i’m thinking its time to upgrade some parts, naturally the first biggie is the wheels…

i’m currently riding the standard kinesis cx crosslight disc clinchers, the version 1’s – 28 spoke front and back, 24 mm wide 22 mm deep, hubs were kinesis own aluminium sealed bearing with standard 6 bolt mounting – weight is around 1800 g. they have been impressively smooth and have stayed true – i run conti gp 4s pretty much all year, sometimes swapping for schwalbe one’s for summer months – both on 28’s.

my style of riding is 80 % road – 20% gravel/dirt road, downs link/avenue verte sort of stuff, i also do a bit of light touring with tubus on (tent/sleep kit etc) and have short bike for commute.

so my goal is to get an upgrade to a lighter faster set, maybe just a bit less rolling resistance on the tarmac and easier for climbs wile still being able to cope with the light off road/trail stuff i do and to support a bit of light touring (say 20 kg max), i am also tempted to go tubeless as this seems to fit the gravel/adventure bike profile well IMO and quite fancy the new pro one tubeless…

my own research has led me to 2 sets up to and around £700 catagory:

Fulcrum – 2016 Racing 5 LG Disc Wheels – http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collect … acing-5-LG

mavic ksyrium pro disc all road, which come with Yksion Elite Allroad in 30mm tyres fitted http://www.mavic.co.uk/wheels-road-tria … sc-allroad

any thoughts comments/experience on the above or any possible alternative suggestions much appreciated !

cannondaleking
    Free Member

What about some hand built wheels like H plus son archetype rims laced with Dt swiss Rev spokes to some nice hubs hope pro 2 or dt Swiss 240 or if you like really nice and made in Europe Aivee hubs. Feel free to drop me an email and can give you some more idea’s as it’s what I do for a living lol

reggiegasket
    Free Member

handbuilt on Hope/Tune/DT with Archetypes of maybe even LB carbons.

DezB
    Free Member

mavic ksyrium pro disc all road, which come with Yksion Elite Allroad in 30mm tyres

That’s what I have. They’re fab. Tyres are pretty much slicks unfortunately, but I haven’t needed tread as yet. The wheels are superb. (And a perfect swap with Ksyrium Pro road wheels)

cannondaleking
    Free Member

LB’s are great and good value built a few up for customers now ERD is always wrong though I use the U shape 45mm ones on my best bike on off road gravel bike and have stood the test with my fat unskilled arse lol

DougD

Hunt wheels look pretty nice and seem to get a decent writeup http://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-disc-wheels

paultheagle
    Free Member

OK everybody – thank you for the sage advice…

i must admit at being intrigued at the prospect of getting a set hand made (who wants to look like everybody else) – particularly if this isn’t that cost restrictive, in a relative sense…

but i really wouldn’t know where to start – any recommendations as to reputable wheel maker and the sort of spec i should be looking at ?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Been building wheels for years fella check out hand crafted wheels of Facebook or online or drop me an email I’m sure I can get you the right set at the right price.

brassneck

I have Archetypes on Novatech hubs from spokesman.co.uk – built as my road set, but I think they’d handle your 20% without any problem (maybe up the spoke count a little, I went 24 /28 I think). Around the £300 mark for the pair, can’t remember exactly but there was a mix up on the disc / v non disc hubs and he honoured the original price and prioritised the rebuild so I had them returned and back inside a week – I thought this was great service, and says more than when things go right from the off. I’d buy another wheelset from them for sure.

Can’t fault them after a few months use. Easily repairable anywhere too, which has always been my worry on factory wheel sets for this sort of bike. They look ace built up too.

DrP

On a slightly similar note (and i’ve just googled those DT swiss ev spokes), what is a decent, strong, lightweight set of spokes ‘you lot’ would suggest?

I’ve got a spare Kinesis CX rim, and a dynamo hub, and will lace up soon once i’ve decided on the spoke..

So..spoke suggestions??

DrP

hooch1987
    Free Member
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

For 700, I’d build some for touring with standard spokes etc.. (if you’re carrying 20kg you won’t notice 200 grams or so on the wheels) and get a 2nd lightweight pair for the other stuff.

schmiken

Whereabouts are you based?

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive got stans grail rims on my stoater they seem spot on

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I’ve just had some Velocity Aileron 24h front 28h rear on DT Swiss 350 Straight Pull hubs with CX Rays.

Rims are 28mm high 25mm wide. So they look the nuts. 1550g too.

Almost went for the mavic all road. But these were lighter, more serviceable with a taller rim. cheaper too!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘wheel upgrade for tripster’ is closed to new replies.