Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road/ CX Wheel Upgrade
  • geologist
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Looking at changing the stock Giant SX2 wheels on my TCX2. I generally use the bike on the road more than gravel/cross. Have a budget of about £350, so any recommendations ? Also will I really notice a big difference. I believe that the stock SX2 wheels are quite heavy, but having never upgraded a wheelset I’m not sure on what the difference will be.
    Im thinking Fulrum racing 5’s or 3’s. Also seen some good deals on Krysiums at my budget (ish).
    Cheers

akira

Have a look at hunt wheels. Nice wheels will drop a bit of weight but also be stiffer and feel nicer to ride.

marksnook
    Free Member

Just ordered a set of hope enduro for that money, they won’t be at lbs until next week but I rode them on a test bike and they felt mega solid and quick. Sold it for me being UK made with spares easily available

geologist
    Free Member

Forgot to say that they need to be disc brake wheels.

pacef8
    Free Member

Hope twenty fives should suit you, merlin have ten% off this weekend.

househusband

If you’re a member of British Cycling you’d get 10% off handbuilt wheels from The Cycle Clinic:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-disc-brake-wheelsets/products/borg22-disc-road-cx-wheelset-front-and-rear

I’ve got the DT Swiss R24 Spline Disc wheels, can be had for circa £200. I did consider the R23’s that qwerty linked to.

jonba
    Free Member

Hunt are a good shout. I’d look at just riding along as well – I have a set of theres that has been going well for 4 years. Not broken spokes or wobbles. Done 3 rounds of the three peaks and a some stuff more suited to a mountain bike.

geologist
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ll have a good look at the suggestions. So does anyone have any thoughts on the Krysium vs Fulcrum 5?

teadrinker
    Free Member

Another vote here for the Hope 25’s. I have a set I purchased and put on a bike but have never actually ridden them. I keep meaning to get round to to selling them and your post reminded me that i still have them. Let me know if you are interested at all.

geologist
    Free Member

Hi Tea drinker , defo interested. How much are you looking for and where are you ? Are they QR, 6 bolt etc …. ?

variflex
    Free Member

I had the same requirement as you OP. I have the same bike and spent slightly more than 350 on the hunt aero light disc wheelset with 28mm tubeless tyres on for road use and keep the original wheelset but with WTB Nano’s for offroad. The Hunt wheelset with the 28mm tyres is great for road use. Definitely notice the weight difference.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Hi geologist,

sorry for the late reply, away at the moment and not easy to keep popping back on. They are 6 bolt, QR at the moment but I should have the converters if needed for bolt thru. I purchased them from Merlins in December last year and they have just sat there since never used. They cost £342 but can let them go for £260 posted or £250 collected from central London. Thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road/ CX Wheel Upgrade’ is closed to new replies.